The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What the... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
StreetWalker
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of StreetWalker
Look! What is up with exposers. I've been performing regularly for about 4 months now. And I am finding it harder and harder to impress people.

Recently I did a trick on an 8 year old and he looked at me and said "its in your fake thumb!" My jaw dropped.
Come to find out, they now sell magic sets (cheap but very revealling) in DOLLAR STORES!!!!!!!! What is up with this! GRRRR

Opinions on exposers? Smile Smile
"The ability to amaze those who don't care is better than the ability to amaze those who do."
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
553 Posts

Profile of KC
It's not exposure just because Thumbtips are being sold (albeit in a dollar store). I know it is kind of tacky that they are sold for that price, but blame the distributers. You can also blame regular magic shops for the kind of exposure you don't like. In order to stay in business, magic shops have to find new customers, hence, Svengali Decks, stripper decks, Nickels to Dimes, Fantastics, thumbtips, UFO cards are sold to anyone and everyone who has the money.

And I guess that you will have to structure your thumbtip routine better. Or, just don't do it so you can avoid the above situations. Or learn to do a bill switch without a thumbtip, if that is the routine you were doing.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Maby its just me but it seems like when you buy props, once you get out of the under $10 price range, the level of exposure drops very fast, as the price goes up. Once you get above $25 for an effect, not many folks will have been exposed to the secret. At higher prices $50-$100 and above not very many intermediate-semi pros know the secrets.
Of course it all depends on FOX now doesnt it?
Just an opinion.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
that's a good point. Most of the stuff I know/do is under the $50 range. I'm only now starting to think about more serious investments in my act.

~Spiff

PS And I'm putting myself through school on magic!
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Nothing personal to anyone who uses the TT, I love it, but streetwalker would i be correct in guessing that you did a silk vanish when the kid caught you. Yes dealers are selling this trick and have for years, and cheaply. But what the dealers are not selling are routines.

I am not against the silk vanish, heck i love it, but i cannot list the number of times that someone has known the trick and called me on it. So what do you do? Give up because one kid caught you?
Heck i will go into a sugar vanish routine, or a ciggarette vanish with the same TT and fool the hell out of them. Why? Because all these people know is the one trick that came with the routine. If you are getting caught on a regular basis then it is time for you to improve/change your routine.

Not to rip on anyone in particular, but I am sick of people complaining about the exposure problems. If you are a profesional then act like one and start doing new stuff that they will not catch you on. I find it hard to beleive that with the plethora of material out there that you cannot find anything new for your act. Everyone gets busted by an audience member, whats seperates the boys from the men (ladies please pardon the metaphor) is the men move on and learn form the experience.

Not really sorry if this offends anyone and looking forward to any replies,

Mat
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
This is where one can't let the "box" determine our limits. David Williamson has the greatest dodge in the world for the thumb tip--I use it for those times when the proverbial grade-schooler starts waxing about "fake thumbs."

Get Williamson's Wonders and carry on with confidence. There's always a way, I've learned that the hard way.

--Ron
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Apparently we're blaming everyone here except the people who SHOULD be blamed -- the magicians who insist on doing tired, old routines the same way that the exposers do.
Of COURSE going to be busted if you do that!
Mat, in his post above, has it exactly right: Use the prop in a different way; and, you may be able to buy a prop, like a tip of whatever, at a dollar store but they aren't selling routines or handlings!
Come up with one on your own, so you don't get busted!
Frankly, I don't care if they give this stuff away (and they do, on exposure-of-magic shows on television); I don't use any of it in the "traditional" way.
And, if you don't want to get busted, neither should you!
Smile
StreetWalker
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of StreetWalker
Okay. For starters Yes i do a silk vanish. But most of the time i get caught on a water vanish. And i am thinking up new routines all of the time. But, the most common reply i get when someone doesnt know how to do a trick is: "Well i will just go and find it on the internet. *** the internet! Excluding this forum... muhehehe

Thanks for the help guys keep suggestions coming! Smile
"The ability to amaze those who don't care is better than the ability to amaze those who do."
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
There is a great little book by Darwin called 101 tricks with a TT. It gives about 7 different loads for a TT and 101 different ideas to do with it. As a bouns it runs for about $5 from most dealers.

Also if you are getting caught constantly then maybe you should not be doing this effect streetwalker. I don't mean to sound mean but maybe you should work on it a bit more.

More than happy to help anyone work on anything, just PM me,

Mat
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-12-13 06:30, Peter Marucci wrote:
Apparently we're blaming everyone here except the people who SHOULD be blamed -- the magicians who insist on doing tired, old routines the same way that the exposers do.
Of COURSE going to be busted if you do that!
Mat, in his post above, has it exactly right: Use the prop in a different way; and, you may be able to buy a prop, like a tip of whatever, at a dollar store but they aren't selling routines or handlings!
Come up with one on your own, so you don't get busted!
Frankly, I don't care if they give this stuff away (and they do, on exposure-of-magic shows on television); I don't use any of it in the "traditional" way.
And, if you don't want to get busted, neither should you!
Smile

You know Peter you are right. I open with the silk vanish and unlike a lot of people I have spent a lot of time on this trick. Most people even a lot of pros do it just like everybody else, badly.

This can be a great trick if you adjust your handling. Sonny Holiday spent over an hour going over this one trick with me one day not too long ago.

I had studied the stuff in Cellin's book on the topic (Which is brilliant by the way)and Sonny gave me all of the finer points.

An interesting thing about this method is there is a built in second trick now that is only for magicians or those who know. It is a disapearing TT trick.

At two points in the trick after the revelation of the handkerchief their should be a TT in the hand. When I open my hand it is empty.

On a couple of occasions I have had people come up to me after and say, "I saw a guy on TV do that trick but he used a plastic (gimmick deleted). You must be doing the 'professional' version. And you know what? They are right Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Danny is dead right, on this one, There are many ways to accomplish the dirty work. You could do the silk vanish with a p**l ,r**l, even a st***g and lead wei**t.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Stories help mask the technique too.

If you weave an interesting tale around even the most common picka card routine, you will be amazed at twhat you can accomplsih that will have the result of being seen as much different than what the other guy did.

That is one the many things I loved about Peter Marucci's lecture - the stories that crafted mental pictures taking the audiences mind far from the method, and engulfed in the message.

And subtle handling variations (Danny's handling changes sound more than subtle)- but they still involve the same concept, a vernet, a silk an audience, and magic.

I still have not purchased the book, but am more and more convinced that Cellini's book is valuable addition.

I think I will have to get to Boston next year to see Danny work. He is certainly learning (and applying what he has learned) from some of the best!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
An even simpler solution is to go to a Finger T**. I did an effect for some magic friends not too long ago where I apperantly and very obviously vanished a silk via the old TT method. At the end of the routine I pulled off the tip and showed that it contained a different colour hanky. They never suspected a FT.
Give a FT a try if your getting busted on the thumb thing.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
StreetWalker
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of StreetWalker
Moving onto another topic, Has anyone heard of the sawed in half by rope? and if so, how's it look on stage. I've done it for family but with mixed results. Smile Smile
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greets...

re "Sawed in half by rope"-- you are referring to the rope/ribbon through body? I used it years ago with success... it's one of those oldy's that a lot of people don't seem to be familiar with... it also depends again on routine and perfomance... it would probably work well on the street...

Joe
Smile
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I wish thumbtips were $1000 each. Since they are commonly available, it is essential to improve our technique.

Thought I might recommend Sophie Ashton-Evans three tape video set The Rules of Thumb.

Excellent material and ideas from some of magics best minds.

Available from Kevin James.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Where does it say a TT can only reside on your thumb? With proper misdirection, a TT is "invisible" on ANY finger. I do a silk routine where it ends up on three different digits during the course of it (obviously, not all three are thumbs!) This allows me to openly show my naked thumbs, flummoxing any TT theorists in the crowd.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
552 Posts

Profile of debaser
Rules of thumb has some great stuff but i think it is overpriced even for a magic tape considering the amount of stuff on it.
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
I honestly don't let my spectators see my TT... I show my hands holding one hand wide open and the other pointing to the open hand (Open hand having TT). I cover up the thumb tip with my hand pointing. When my thumb tip wripped, (Dont ask):) I decided to try to paint it red(Ok,,, so I went cheap and colored it with a sharpie) But I tried doing my sponge ball routine with the red thumb tip. I showed it to three diffrent people on three diffrent ocasions and no one saw my thumb tip... It isn't the gimmik.. ITS THE HANDLING!!!!
Jack Of Hearts!
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
Dariel Fitzkee, in his book Magic by Misdirection, has several sections where he talks about exposure and what makes a real magician. His comments sound so modern when you read them.

In one passage he said that a good magician could take the other guys own props and entertain and fool him with them, because of his expertise in magic beyond the trivial method. Wow!

I'm guessing that the 8-yr old in question is a budding magician, who has not yet learned ettiquette, or he saw someone else botch it so badly that he couldn't help but guess. It stung so badly because the little *#%$ was right! I wonder if you had vanished the silk by another method if he would have said the same thing?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What the... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL