The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Is the Okito box gimmicked? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

poprocz
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of poprocz
Is the Okito box and/or any of the other boxes like it a gimmicked trick or do they take some or all slight of hand to perform?

Any recommendations on the other boxes that you all like better?

Are the books or dvds with other tricks using these items worth it?
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
The Okito box is not gimmicked but the relationship between the box proper and its lid does allow for moves that could, I suppose, consider it to be a gimmick. The use of an Okito box does require slight of hand however it's quite simple to learn and perform with little practice.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The Okito box is not gimmicked.
There are boxes that look like Okito boxes that have something special added.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get the David Roth book on coin magic and you will see lots of things you can do with Okito and Okito-style gimmicked boxes. My favorite is the Quarter-size Okorto set.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Hi Pete! What about Modern coin Magic (Hard cover edition)? It will show you all about the okito box, boston box, okorto boxes, etc... Plus you get a regular encyclopaedia of coin moves, vanishes, routines, etc...

This book will show routines with gimmicked and ungimmicked boxes...

Just my opinion...

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
poprocz
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of poprocz
Thanks gents, looking up the book "Modern coin Magic" as we speak.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3471 Posts

Profile of Julie
If you decide to purchase just one box (as opposed to the Okorto set), I'd suggest getting a slot box. You can do all the standard Okito Box moves plus some interesting variations that you can't do with a "plain" Okito box.
poprocz
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of poprocz
Thanks Julie, the other boxes seem to be further developed than what I guess as the original okito box.
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
Not like I am an expert on the box, but the moves and the sleights are only the start to what can be done with an Okito Box. My suggestion is to learn the basic moves just as "Moves" then once you start doing the heavy sleights ... then only learn the ones that feel natural to your hands. Roth has a classic palm steal that I just can't feel comfortable doing ... and he does it with ease. Once you get the basics down ... learn a routine ... then remove and replace some of them with the heavy sleigths as you go along and piece your own routine together. There is a local guy that does a routine using all the old school moves .... but with a few new ones intertwined.

See ya real Soon!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17148 Posts

Profile of joseph
It only looks gimmicked in Roth's hands.... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean Dill and Jamie Schoolcraft have come up with a new box well worth looking at. http://www.deandill.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
With the Rabbit in the puicture it makes me curious. Is this the Muhammed Bey routine? minus the hole of course.

See ya real soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Is the Okito box gimmicked? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL