The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Things I Know Now (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Just to keep things rolling - cuz as we all know, Momentum Is Everything(tm).

How about we all share some stuff we learned which we *wish* we had known when starting out? I'm horribly underqualified since my own career only goes back 5 years but...

* The killer 8 minute routine which drew huge crowds at the last place may only hold the tip for half of it's length in the new place.

* Sometimes the least likely are the biggest tippers.

* The Wind Is My Friend, My Abusive, Deceitful Friend Who Likes To Knock My Stuff Over.

* There is something entirely Too Fun about having a mob of people all shout "PAIN!!!" in near-unison. At you.
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Mplegare,
Good topic! Recently, after I had completed a set, a young fellow approached me and said that he wanted to be a street performer. He looked at my table and the cups which were still on the table. I was watching him! He asked what was the most important equipment that I thought he should buy. I answered, "A good pair of shoes." Smile He smirked and walked away.

Gerald
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
*That kids truely WILL say the darnest things...

Example: During a show last week when I asked, "So, what grade will you be in this year?"

My young assistant, a little boy named Travis (I'll never forget this little dude) anwered:

"First...AGAIN!! They held me back."

Priceless.

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
mrnavyblue
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of mrnavyblue
Aaww haha.

I bet you couldn't help your self but laugh hey prof? lol
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

No, MrNavyBlue, I couldn't help myself at all...

Neither could the audience either!

This kid was so cool though, he laughed too...So it was 'alright'...

Great moment, no doubt.

Prof. Piper
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Along the same lines, as I was doing a Siberian Chain escape, I jokingly asked at rather young teenage girl if she had ever chained anyone up on stage before.

The dear lass offhandedly said "Not on stage, no..."

Which brings me to

* If you're picking a volunteer to lash you up for the Kellar Rope Tie, do not pick the gent who's lady says he practices EVERY NIGHT. o.o
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
**Never anticipate the outcome of a routine when performing for humans.

This has been a true lesson for me in the past 10 years. No two routines ever go the same and if you look at them this way, you find a renued excitement in your performances and the door to creativity opens almost willingly.
Suddenly your audience seems to be more excited and also just as interested in the outcome as you are. Naturally, we all want to find that card, make those final loads, and amaze them. But, don't we also want to excite them, tanatlize them, even enthrall them?

I love my life...
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-06-28 11:01, mplegare wrote:
Along the same lines, as I was doing a Siberian Chain escape, I jokingly asked at rather young teenage girl if she had ever chained anyone up on stage before.

The dear lass offhandedly said "Not on stage, no..."

Which brings me to

* If you're picking a volunteer to lash you up for the Kellar Rope Tie, do not pick the gent who's lady says he practices EVERY NIGHT. o.o

That's classic pal!

We live in a very strange and unique world...Takes all kinds, and for that, I thank God!

Cause Trust Me, I'm very strange and unique!

Prof. Piper
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The one rule that I find paramount is "Never ask a question that you are not prepared for every possible answer to."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Things I Know Now (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL