The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » English Penny Gaff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
I'm looking for a source to get an inexpensive gaff of an English Penny. The expanded thingy, not to be too blatant. I can get regular English Pennies at a local coin dealer, ebay or whatever.

My thought is buying one of the inexpensive combo trick coin sets off ebay: Scotch & Soda, Hopping Halves, etc. It's been a long time, but I seem to recall one of these legendary effects included such an item. But since my memory is becoming Swiss cheese, I don't remember which one.

Not that I wouldn't perform the original trick...but my main interest is developing little side routines with the gaff. Yes, you can buy one by itself for around $25 plus shipping from regualr internet dealers...or splurge and get the ultimate from the two big boys in coin work. I've done that with my half dollar flipper and shell because I use them frequently. At this point though...don't think I want to spend the extra dough on something I likely won't use that much.

The English Penny concept is more of a novelty idea and I don't want to spend a bunch on it. So I'm thinking I can pick up one of these "traditional" package effects that includes it and have some extra coins in the bargain.

If you don't want to reveal anything here, a PM would be appreciated. Best price I've found for a new EP gaff is $24...best price on Hopping Half, for example is $23.

Many thanks in advance.

BooRadley
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Johnson "Hopping Halves" should fill the bill.
You're getting a lot of props.
Here you have a set that works well together and buying each one seperately would be more costly.
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
If you are going to go the Hopping Half route, make sure that you get the EXPANDED Hopping Half set. Some of the companies (Sasco, I think) sell a set where the [ is not expanded. That won't help, if I am reading correctly, and will only put you out $25 more dollars. Denny and Lee (dennymagic.com) have the Johnson expanded set for $60, with free shipping. There may be cheaper prices elsewhere. Good luck!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Hopping Halves is the way to go...

Nice avatar by the way....but 64's are the way to go!
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The above advice is good. With a Johnson Expanded Hopping Half set will get the specific gaff you are looking for plus a few other useful coins.
Click to visit:
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
Thanks all...appreciate it.

Rob...mine is COMPLETELY different. I'm facing the other way. Actually, I had this photo of a Kennedy half in one hand and a self-portrait in the other. I place them both in Photoshop and--TAH DAH--they merged! But with all the effort made around her to credit the pioneers who originate superior effects, I shall henceforth refer to this avatar as my "Johnson".

And I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee this morning...

BooRadley
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
LoL...

I just don't know what to say to that.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » English Penny Gaff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL