We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Airtight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zackary
View Profile
Loyal user
Monroe,Louisiana
210 Posts

Profile of Zackary
I recently bought this trick but I can't figure out how to get the cards inside the balloon originally. I try to put the deck in my mouth but I keep on ripping the balloon. Does anyone have any hints?

Thanks,
Zack

:dance: Smile Smile Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Do you have the right size balloon?

Ray Noble
skilusion
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of skilusion
I had the same problem. I bought an item called Pump-a-Present. It is used to put things like stuffed animals in balloons. They have several different sizes. It was fairly cheap, maybe around 30-40 dollar (it is cheap because the effect of the trick is awesome.) There have been a couple of times that I couldn't get it to work or it ripped the balloon but other than that it seemed to work fine. If you are interested in it you might do a search and see what you come up with. If you can't find it then email me at skilusion@hotmail.com and I will see what I can do to find some information on it and where I ordered it from. I hope this helps.
skilusion
myname1960
View Profile
Regular user
Chris from Ohio
111 Posts

Profile of myname1960
Zackary,
If you want to try the Pump-a-Present you may try Ebay and do a search on "balloon pump" or "Pump-a-Present". I see them there all the time. Not sure if the size they sell are large enough for cards but it never hurts to try. They run for around $10.00 with shipping but they are the basic package I think. It varies as to what is offered.
I have been thinking of getting "Airtight" myself so this may be something I may want to get also. Hope it works for you,
Chris
DeadRinger
View Profile
New user
long island
55 Posts

Profile of DeadRinger
Here's a cheap way to do the same thing.. take a bleach bottle or any widemouthed bottle and cut a hole in the bottom about the size of a quarter.. then put the ballon hanging inside the bottle stretched around the mouth.. then blow up the balloon and plug the hole you cut in the bottle.. the vacum will hold the balloon inflated and you can fill it with whatever you like
*POOF*
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
All I do is put my two index fingers into the top of the balloon and stretch it out enough to get the deck into the balloon, then I put it in with my mouth. I haven't ripped a balloon yet. Good Luck.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
It's not an easy thing to do. That's part of the reason I don't perform Airtight any more. It's a good effect, but just not worth my effort.
Life of Magic!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Sankeytized II shows Jay Sankey doing exactly this.

He puts the deck in his mouth and stretches the baloon over it.

It's a FANTASTIC video.

It has several classic routines, including this one.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
404 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
THE SECRET TO GETTING the deck inside is:

1 - FIRST, blow up the balloon, and then let the air out. You will see that the balloon is very loose because the rubber has EXPANDED. Try it and see.

YOU WILL put the deck inside very easily.......
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
377 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Its tough to do. I thought I was getting the hang of it, and then it ripped again.

I have found that balloon quality is important. My last batch seemed to be a bit older and would break when I would blow it up during presentation. I threw the remaining balloons in the trash and haven't looked back.

It is a very strong effect, and I followed it with a torn and restored card routine, which on hindsight may have been a touch overwhelming but it looked so tough and strecthed out for 12 minutes.

It takes time to get it down. Follow the advice given above and wear a bib because you should drool all over yourself if all goes well.

oliver
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Quote:
On 2003-05-14 15:14, João Miranda wrote:
1 - FIRST, blow up the balloon, and then let the air out. You will see that the balloon is very loose because the rubber has EXPANDED. Try it and see.

Try what João said...

It WORKS wonderfully...

Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
377 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Maybe I just need to find a different balloon.

oliver
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
404 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
No you don´t, Oliver...

Just try what I said, and it will fit very easily. Have you tried?

Regards,
Juao Miranda
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
516 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Airtight has always been a favorite of mine. The only problem is you need the 13 inch balloons to comfortably fit a poker sized bicycle deck without breaking. Also get new baloons. The problem is that no regular baloon stores carry the larger sizes. Try an 11 inch baloon with bridge size cards. The routine still works and the moves are easier to pull off because the cards are smaller.

S. Patrick
Smile Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
A smaller deck works easily. New balloons here in Orlando are only 10 cents or less. My room mate is a balloon artist and he put the first deck in for me. I've just fooled around with this since I didn't buy the effect but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. Blowing up the balloon first and applying even tension to each side of the opening will keep it from breaking. Most party shops sell the larger balloons for a poker deck. Spatrick is right about the routine being much easier with smaller cards. Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
404 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Quote:
On 2003-05-14 15:14, João Miranda wrote:
THE SECRET TO GETTING the deck inside is:

People, try THIS.

It WILL work. Smile

Regards
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
377 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Joao,
Thanks for the tip, it is my forgotten ingredient.
I think I did that the first few times performing this, and have since gotten complacent and have not done it. Thus, the difficulty. I remember thinking, that this was not that difficult the first few times that I did it too.
I will be doing this again soon.

oliver
euphoria5150
View Profile
Regular user
Russell Jeanneret
110 Posts

Profile of euphoria5150
Theater, cinemas, and literature are all better forums for telling stories or creating drama. Stand-up comedy is better for telling jokes. But magic is unique in creating the Twilight Zone sense of turning a corner and finding yourself on another street, in another town, in another country. Deception is the means to that end. –John Bannon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Airtight (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL