The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Superman Returns! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I just saw it for the second time last night.( before it leaves the big screen for DVD ) I enjoyed it as much as the first time and noticed a LOT of hints through the movie towards the surprise revelation. I don't care about any of these silly plot possiblility debates.... its SUPERMAN... its fun..relax and enjoy it.

Can't see why Pirates beat this so bad at the box office. I'm a huge pirates fan and thougth the sequel was a run-on mess. Superman rocked but Pirates ran away with all the summer money. Oh well... in the words of Jack Sparrow....."PIRATE!" LOL

Best,

Tim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Great moments at the Kent household

"Mom, most guys wear their underware under their pants"
"Son, it's okay, you aren't wearing pants, those are tights"

And still not so happy about the tech-mesh look of the costume or the deeper red.

But as you say... it's "Superman" and
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 10:35, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
And still not so happy about the tech-mesh look of the costume or the deeper red.
But as you say... it's "Superman" and

I hated the darker look in promo photos but quickly began to like it in the film. I especially liked the longer cape.

Best,

Tim
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember Playboy magazine doing two different Superman stories. One was supposed to be from James Olsen ("not 'Jimmy," please! Who ever heard of 'War and Peace' by 'Jimmy Olsen?'") who's an underground radical and head. "Went into the supply closet, got stoned, dug the mops." "Clark came up to my desk, flexed his muscles, turned my stapler into a ball bearing. I just smiled because it's supposed to take a MAN to do something like that, right? *#&$ everybody KNOWS he's Superman! You can see that big red "S" through those *#*#*&* white shirts he wears!"

Another one was "Clark Ghent's School Days" which is supposed to be from Clark's adopted brother who never got into the stories. "Clark was strong as an ox and about as smart. If you said to him; 'Jesus Christ, Clark. A twenty dollar bill just blew under that truck!' He'd knock the truck over looking for it without thinking." and my favorite, where he describes the costume; "Ma Ghent had a frustrated theatrical streak and it came out here. Blue tights, red boots, red trunks, red cape... he looked like a dangerous fairy! On the front of the costume, Ma had woven a big "S." None of us could figure out what it stood for, the nearest guess was "stupid," but we didn't think Ma was that smart... or cruel."

Hey! Just did a google search, found part of the second one.

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/tiggermovie/45.html
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Don't forget to check it out in Imax 3-d.

Remember this film was shot regularly, and NOT in 3-D, but they converted some scenes into 3-D and they look amazingly.

Ganted I think they should have done the opening credits in 3-D, that should have been a no brainer, but sadly they were not.

Let's also not forget the near half an hour that they cut from the film, including the original opening sequence actually showing Kal's journey to Krypton's remains.

Singer, the director, hopes to eventually release a cut including that in iomax 3-d too, but for now it will not be seen Smile
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-05 11:18, mandrake01 wrote:
I remember Playboy magazine doing two different Superman stories. ...

Sounds cute and not bad for mainstream media way back when.

Check out Spider's perspective in the TransMet I Hate It Here special issue.

Or the running gags in Megaton Man also back in the 1980s.

It appears Lex Luthor is president these days in the comics.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-08-02 22:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Glenn, that stuff sounds very cool.

I'm sorry hollywood just does not do the Alan Moore Miracleman straight up and leave Superman to his comicbook mythology intact.

Ask 100 people who "Superman" is and who "Miracleman" is and see what answers you get. Case closed. (Mind you, I'm not suggest Miracleman wouldn't make a good film, just that that's not the way studio heads think.)
Ain't life unkind?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Are you suggesting that studio heads believe acting to preserve ignorance is the most profitable and utilitarian course of action?

Just the first three issues of MM could make a startling and poignant movie. Unlike Clarke who was raised to be a mid-west American farm boy, MM was raised to be a hero and given two histories, one as comic book hero and the other (his change self) as orphan. BTW the Orphan grows up and get married, forgetting his hero nature. Then the memories come back. Kind of like what the writer of "Hook" was out to do but under greater adversity and in our world not Neverland. IMHO it's a much richer story to explore. I WISH they (Hollywood) had the courage to follow such a story all the way to book three when question about how super beings might affect the world are explored.

Still sorry "good" and "bad" are made so ineffective in the "Superman" mythos as it stands. It's as if the story teller's greatest desire is to keep people from thinking.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-08-06 09:10, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Are you suggesting that studio heads believe acting to preserve ignorance is the most profitable and utilitarian course of action?

I'm saying that the studios will only promote what they think will already sell.

Original or unknown stuff has a more uphill battle (hello, "V for Vendetta") and the studios are rarely interested in investing big bucks in something that isn't tried and true.
Ain't life unkind?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-07 05:17, mandrake01 wrote:...Original or unknown stuff has a more uphill battle (hello, "V for Vendetta") ...

Done so well that upon reading the script, the author insisted his name NOT be associated with the project.

And this summer a movie about someone who does not know what they want and a heartless squid which was all but panned seems to be resonating with folks.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-08-07 05:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

And this summer a movie about someone who does not know what they want and a heartless squid which was all but panned seems to be resonating with folks.

I'm as baffled as you Jonathan. 2 1/2 hrs of mindless, lost, action to set up the next chapter seems to be what people want this summer.

Best,

Tim
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2006-08-07 05:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-08-07 05:17, mandrake01 wrote:...Original or unknown stuff has a more uphill battle (hello, "V for Vendetta") ...

Done so well that upon reading the script, the author insisted his name NOT be associated with the project.

Moore NEVER wants his name associated with ANY of his works being put to film. From Hell and LXG were both based on Moores works. Not to say that they were in any way comparable or anything.

But the REASON he does this is because he has a personal oppinion about his works being adapted. He believes that they were written for the comics and should stay there. He does not like the idea of somethig origially intended for one medium being translated to another.

Even though comics lend themsleves so perfectly to the proccess given their story board nature and cinematic portrayal. Not to mention that comics are really scripts tranlated to images, and films are scripts translated to stoy boards translated to film, but any who.

So it had nothing to do with the script of film, but simply it was something that Moore was pre-detirmined to do long before anyone even thought about making it a film.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Glenn,

I'm surprised at that report of his sentiments.

From the opening page of the "watchmen" story to to its format and similarly with his other SCRIPTS, it seems odd that one who writes as if for the cinema, with every panel described in great detail, would object to a direct translation of his work into the very sound and vision depicted in his writing.

I've read a few of his scripts... amazing things.

I'll have to look up some interviews to see where this comes from.

Thanks for making me wonder.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Alway's glad to help. V was actually really good. But he did not have anything to do with From Hell or LXG either.

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 19:16, Doug Higley wrote:
Been a Superman fan since the 1940's! He has always been America's Hero. Untill now. Truth Justice and The American Way, always a part of the Superman legend was purposely altered for the latest film for PC reasons and because the writers, director etc. want's him to be considered a hero of the Earth not America. It is now spoken in the film as "Truth Justice And All That Stuff"

So, personally the Truth of it and the Justice and the American Way is I'll spend my money next month on 'Snakes On A Plane'.

I know most of you don't give a hoot...but I'm fed up with Hollywood...100%

Here's the story with many quotes: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/col......02764635

"In fact, Dougherty and Harris never even considered including "the American way" in their screenplay. After the wunderkind writing duo ("X2: X-Men United") conceived "Superman's" story with director Bryan Singer during a Hawaiian vacation, they penned their first draft together and intentionally omitted what they considered to be a loaded and antiquated expression. That decision stood throughout the 140-day shoot in Australia, where the pair remained on-set to provide revisions and tweaks.

There is one other point I'd like to make on this. The quote is from Perry White. Not really the guy to follow through on a catch phrase. He strikes me as a cynical guy who wouldn't really be comfortable with saying; "The American Way."
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-08-01 20:17, cardone wrote:
Superman DVD box set 14 disks .. nov 06 .....start saving your money..... every movie will be in it plus all the old catroons and a bonus disk for each movie.......

I already have all 16 of the old cartoons! My kid found two DVDs for a dollar each that had them. I'd like to see the old serial with Kirk Alyn and the amazing "animated" flying sequences!
Ain't life unkind?"
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Ummmm is it me or is there a "Biblical" "jesusish" touch to the movie?, after the blockade being lifted we are flooded with new movies!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

I dunno pkg.

Having a child out of wedlock and floating in and out of the house of the now wedded mother is way to creepy for me to make that association. That idea comes seems to come more from a Philip K. Dick story (Golden Man) than acceptable western mythology.

Likewise even though his father may have intended him to lead, the character has dedicated himself to a more "walk with" style and in secret identity/costume at that.

What did the character learn from the story? Maybe Lois now has an issue to ponder. Lex seems okay. Did supes learn anything?
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
LOL, no, I meant...

Jor-El: You will travel far, my little Kal-El, but we will never leave you-even in the face of our deaths. You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father. And the father, the son.

Jor-El: [Superman is remembering Jor-El's last message to him from the first film] Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son.
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

The parallel you are drawing could be interpreted as both a blasphemy and a heresy.

Chthulu loves you anyway

;)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Superman Returns! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL