The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Superman Returns! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On 2006-06-28 20:19, phase27 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-28 14:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-28 13:23, mandrake01 wrote:
So I assume it turns out Routh can act somewhat?

Imagine a soap star working against a green screen in a harness waiting for next SFX shot hoping he hits his marks right...

I don't know if anyone knows this but Christopher Reeves was a soap actor before doing superman in the early 70's...

The similarities between Reeve and Routh are building up like Kennedy and Lincoln.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1919 Posts

Profile of Platt
Superman II was far superior to this. As much as I like Spacey, Gene Hackman (in one of his best roles ever) was sorely missed. The effects were killer but the storyline suffered. They went for way too much. Super II will always be a true classic. How can you beat the man of steel taking on Zod and company. This? I'm not even sure what transpired.

It seemed there were a lot of holes in the plot. I was quite tired as I saw a late night showing so perhaps I missed some things. Can someone help answer the following questions?

spoiler alert:

How did Superman lose his strength at the time Luther punched him? (cyptonite? where? In the ocean?)
How did he get his strength back? (because lois removed the cryptonite? then how did he first lose it?)
How does lois remember sleeping with superman? He kissed her at the end of Superman II making her forget their time together.
Who was the guy with the machine gun who pegs superman in the eye? What was his deal?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Theres were holes in the plot for a reason...Part Two and mahap even deeper emotional plot twists for part two.

I'm going to see this again this weekend and oh man I can't wait for the sequel.

And yes this movie borught some tear to my eyes...great friggen movie man, or should I say Superman!!!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1919 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2006-06-29 01:02, johnnymystic wrote:
Theres were holes in the plot for a reason...Part Two and mahap even deeper emotional plot twists for part two.

johnny

Oh, that clears up everything.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I too, am one of those who avoided the Hulk because it looked like a glorified cartoon, but this is one I will surely not pass up.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
This movie was GREAT for any fans of the original Superman saga. So many references to the old 1970's movies made me reminisce about the magic of the original movie. They used the classic music that made me all giddy along with the famous opening titles. It was a great, great movie. If you plan on seeing it, you HAVE to watch the original two Superman films to get all the subtle humor.

With that said--

I don't know how I feel about the whole triangle thing going on though. Kind of turned me off for a bit. I might go see it again just to make myself feel better. Ha. One would think that after film disasters like Pearl Harbor and others, writers would acknowledge that love triangles just don't belong in action movies... ESPECIALLY one as familiar as Superman. What do they plan on doing with this?

Ray.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1919 Posts

Profile of Platt
So once again, can anyone answer my questions:

spoiler alert:

How did Superman lose his strength at the time Luther punched him? (cyptonite? where? In the ocean?)
How did he get his strength back? (because lois removed the cryptonite? then how did he first lose it?)
How does lois remember sleeping with superman? He kissed her at the end of Superman II making her forget their time together.
Who was the guy with the machine gun who pegs superman in the eye? What was his deal?

Thanks.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
The rocks (new continent) that grew from the ocean were imbedded with kryptonite, it was everywhere.

johnny

Posted: Jun 29, 2006 1:47pm
----------------------------------------------------
How does Lois remember sleepiing with Superman?

Um, lets see...she ended up with a baby in her belly...do you think? Smile

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1919 Posts

Profile of Platt
Yes, she did end up with his baby. But due to the minderasing kiss, she shouldn't know where the baby came from. Also, the little kid showed no signs of superhuman strength until midway through the movie.

If the rocks spread kryptonite everywhere, how did superman get his powers back when the kryptonite was removed from his back. Wouldn't the bigger picture (kryptonite spread everywhere) keep him weakened?

And again, who was the superhuman guy shooting bullets out of the machine gun?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2140 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
SPOILERS TO ANSWER PLATT...

Yes, remember how Luthor shot the crystal into the ocean inside the tube of Kryptonite? The whole new continent took on traits of Kryptonite.

He gets his strength back, yes, when Lois finally removes the last bit of Kryptonite from his body. Also, remember, he flies up into space briefly to catch some sun rays to "recharge" before going back down and using his heat vision on the continent.

Lois never does say she remembers sleeping with him. When Richard asks, she says it was a n atricle she wrote. I guess we have to take that at face value. I also truly believe that she thinks Richard is the father, until the piano-throwing bit. Then it surely dawns on her.

I'm not sure about the machine gun guy. I wasn't sure if he was one of Luthor's distractions, or if he was just a crazy villain that Supey had to stop.

Ultimately, we have to remember that this is a sci-fi/fantasy film based on comic characters. If we try to make it fit with logic 100% of the time, we may as well give up on it.

I feel that ya either give in and enjoy it for what it is, or nitpick it to death, starting with the fact that pretty much the whole character is an impossible situation.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27147 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Kevin/Mercury, have you read Alan Moore's Miracleman?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
The guy with the machine gun was simply a bank robber with a machine gun. Not superhuman as far as I could tell.

I had the most fun ever going to a movie last night. Superman Returns was incredible. I can't wait to see what happens with Jason and Clark in the next one. The ending was really touching. I bet I was the loudest one in the theater whenever supes flew across the scene. And how about that Dodger Stadium landing?!?! Great stuff!!!

Brian
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2140 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Jonathan, nope, haven't read it. I'll look into it though to see the relation to the discussion at hand.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1919 Posts

Profile of Platt
So I guess superman was far enough away from the kryptonite built island when lois removed the kryptonite from the back, he was okay.

I strongly disagree with the notion that a sci/fi fantasy picture doesn't have to be cohesive and logical. I urge anyone to who hasn't seen superman II to run out and watch it. It's everything a superhero movie should be. I truly believe nothing's come close to capturing its magic.

I also wanted to add that I'm always right and my opinion rules.
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

First off-- Platt-- your opinion may rule and you may always be right... but if you're a true Superman fan, you'd recognize that you spelled Kryptonite with a C???? Even Superman corrects the mistake with Lois in the original film during the first interview! But that aside... yes, the entire pre-continent was embedded with small pieces of the green radioactive rock.

When the plane was airborne, there were no traces of Kryptonite anywhere else in the plane. I'm unfortunately not Kryptonian, so I can't really determine how far away I have to be from the stuff in order to stop feeling its effects. But Superman was still weak-- which is why he flew up to revive his powers from the Sun as his father taught him.

I agree with what's been said. She realizes her son has superhuman powers... If I were her living in Metropolis and had a mutual relationship with the Man of Steel, I'd probably put two and two together. And to follow the traditional movie cliche-- love conquers all... Even Kryptonian Forget-Me Kisses.

He was a petty bank robber. The scene was supposed to resemble the bank robbers from the original Superman movie to get us all reacquainted with Super's powers. How AWESOME were the special effects??

So yeah... here's my beef. When does the movie take place? According to the writers and producers, it apparently takes place five years after the second Superman movie starring Christopher Reeve. But I noticed there were classic automobiles from the 1930's and 40's at Lex's new crib I nthe beginning of the movie. And if the film takes place five years after the modern day of Superman II, there still wouldn't be any camera phones.

Ah well. All in good fun.

Ray.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1919 Posts

Profile of Platt
Thanks. That helps me. As I said, I was tired. But didn't the gunman get shot multiple times by the police without being harmed? That's why I figured he had superhuman strength.

Ray, I never claimed to be a true superman fan. In fact I've never once read a comic book. I just happen to love the movie Superman II. That's all. I have seen every superman movie and II reigns supreme. Without Superman II, I'm not sure Reeve would even be a household name. The franchise would certainly be a joke. Superman I was a good, but certainly not great movie. Three and four were beyond embarrasing. Even Singer knew to forget those ever happened. And now comes Superman Returns. Beyond the special effects,where's the magic?

I don't know what it was, but they got it perfect with II. It was like a classic fairytale. Simple and hard hitting. The best superhero film of all time!
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

IMHO-- The new Spiderman movies are outfreakingstanding...

Ray.

The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I just returned from seeing the film. I had really hoped they'd capture some of that magic I felt as a teenager watching the first film years ago. The first Superman film was the first comic book movie to come into the real world with class and success. If not for that film there would be no Batman or Spiderman films today.

Remakes are always a touchy thing.....how do you update a classic film and make it modern without spoiling the magic the classic held. So many recent " updates " have promised everything and ended up being an emotionless parade of CGI graphics. My friends warned me not to get my hopes up with this one as they had seen me so disappointed in recent remakes. That popcorn chewin, movie lovin teenager in me seemed destined to become only a memory.

Well he's back baby!!!! THIS MOVIE ROCKS!!!!!! Hollywood finally figured it out!!!! We like a story dam it! Give us something to cheer in our hearts rather than just our eyes.

You'd have to experienced the magic in '79 to really appreciate what I am talking about here. Regardless you'll enjoy this film. I sat through the closing credits waiting for that most important class act I had hoped for and.........there it was .." This film is respectfully dedicated to Christopher and Dana Reeve." I still have a lump in my throat.

On a more light hearted note... did anyone else recognise the bartender in the film????? Also was that a cameo appearance by Richard Branson as a shuttle pilot?? During the closing credits I was distracted and turned back to see what I thought was a glimpse of " sir richard branson" as it scrolled off screen. Just wondering if anyone else saw Branson in the pilots seat?

Best,

Tim
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On 2006-06-29 21:58, Platt wrote:
Thanks. That helps me. As I said, I was tired. But didn't the gunman get shot multiple times by the police without being harmed? That's why I figured he had superhuman strength.

I believe it was a bulletproof vest.

Quote:
On 2006-06-29 22:08, Timothy Drake wrote:
In a more light hearted note... did anyone else recognise the bartender in the film????? Also was that a cameo appearance by Richard Branson as a shuttle pilot?? During the closing credits I was distracted and turned back to see what I thought was a glimpse of " sir richard branson" as it scrolled off screen. Just wondering if anyone else saw Branson in the pilots seat?
Best,
Tim

You betcha I recognized the bartender. None other than the original Jimmy Olsen, Jack Larson. And did you recognize the elderly woman in the beginning of the film? It was Noel Neil. This film paid so much respect to the last seven decades of Superman.

And where is our fellow Superman nut Corey Harris on all this???
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-06-29 22:14, Brian Proctor wrote:
You betcha I recognized the bartender. None other than the original Jimmy Olsen, Jack Larson. And did you recognize the elderly woman in the beginning of the film? It was Noel Neil. This film paid so much respect to the last seven decades of Superman.

Would Noel Neil be Lois from the old television series? I thougth I saw her in a crowd shot. Respect...yup..thats the perfect word.

Best,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Superman Returns! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL