The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Superman Returns! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I'm really hoping that this is going to be good. Better than the original travesties featuring Reeve. Not that Reeve did a bad job mind you but they did far too much tinkering with the original legend for my taste and the special effects were awful!!! superman never flew but floated from place to place and don't get me started on the whole flying around the world to make it go back in time nonsense. they lost me from the get go by making Krypton some sort of crystal planet instead of the marvelously deco place it was in the comic. there was no Superboy to make Lex Bald (thus giving Lex motivation to hate Superman). Superman fails to be responsible for his foster parents deaths and the Phantom Zone is another dimension not some twanky record album floating through space. Lex would never wear a toupee and Superman built the Fortress of Solitude for himself instead of having Jor El grow it for him like some over reactive Magic Rocks. I'm really hoping that this one treats the material with a little more respect.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Don't see this movie then. Its a modern tribute to the Richard Donner film. I liked that film and that's why I liked this one as well.

Best,

Tim
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-06-28 14:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-28 13:23, mandrake01 wrote:
So I assume it turns out Routh can act somewhat?

Imagine a soap star working against a green screen in a harness waiting for next SFX shot hoping he hits his marks right...

um, that was Reeve! I didn't think Routh had been in a soap, I thought he was a male model.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
For me, tonight's the night...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I enjoyed it and thanks for not spoiling it!
Dennis Michael
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I loved the movie!

I knew I would love it from the moment the movie started. John WIlliams classic theme back in outer space just like the old days. WOW.

(Spolier Alert)

I am sorry about the kid. He is little more than a plot complication. Think about it. If he has even half his dad's powers, then in the next movie and so forth he will either have to be explained away (oh he's off at summer camp) or be part of the story.

Even so I loved the film. Kevin Spacey was brilliant.

Kate Bosworth was alright. The problem with Lois is that her character is a pair of opposites. She is strong and daring but weak and vulnerable. Also she is a real b-itch and yet we love her and want her to be ok. That is a lousy role to give an actress. Bosworth was OK. My favorite lois of all time was probably Terri Hatcher, though she wasn't nasty enough to Clark.

Frank Langella was good as Perry.

Question: is Glen Ford still alive? The Doctor who took lois to see Superman in the hospital looked a lot like him.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I just checked with IMD and it was Richard Branson at the shuttle controls.

Best,

Tim
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 09:47, Cliffg37 wrote:

I am sorry about the kid. He is little more than a plot complication. Think about it. If he has even half his dad's powers, then in the next movie and so forth he will either have to be explained away (oh he's off at summer camp) or be part of the story.

The scriptwriter has obviously never read Larry Nivens essay "Man of Steel Woman of Kleenex" which explains why Superman could never have a physical relationship with Lois Lane.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Payne, be nice.

The movie is not about Superman. It's a tribute to the Donner films with Chris Reeves.

Like a Brady Bunch remake movie, not about family values but about Marsha Marsha Marsha.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Been a Superman fan since the 1940's! He has always been America's Hero. Untill now. Truth Justice and The American Way, always a part of the Superman legend was purposely altered for the latest film for PC reasons and because the writers, director etc. want's him to be considered a hero of the Earth not America. It is now spoken in the film as "Truth Justice And All That Stuff"

So, personally the Truth of it and the Justice and the American Way is I'll spend my money next month on 'Snakes On A Plane'.

I know most of you don't give a hoot...but I'm fed up with Hollywood...100%

Here's the story with many quotes: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/col......02764635

"In fact, Dougherty and Harris never even considered including "the American way" in their screenplay. After the wunderkind writing duo ("X2: X-Men United") conceived "Superman's" story with director Bryan Singer during a Hawaiian vacation, they penned their first draft together and intentionally omitted what they considered to be a loaded and antiquated expression. That decision stood throughout the 140-day shoot in Australia, where the pair remained on-set to provide revisions and tweaks.

"We were always hesitant to include the term 'American way' because the meaning of that today is somewhat uncertain...So, you play the movie in a foreign country, and you say, 'What does he stand for? -- truth, justice and the American way.' I think a lot of people's opinions of what the American way means outside of this country are different from what the line actually means (in Superman lore) because they are not the same anymore," Harris says. "And (using that line) would taint the meaning of what he is saying."

Good Grief...give me a break!!

I'm sure it's an entertaining movie though...carry on...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Doug you have me beet by 20 years, I have been a superman fan from the 60's. He will always fight and stand for truth, justice and the American way. If that sounds corney to anyone, well fine, so it is corney. He may not stand for the blured version of what the American way is right NOW, but the charater of Superman allways stands for what is RIGHT. In my book that is the American way, and worth all of us real people taking a stand for.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Cliff,

The guy is an illegal alien who goes out wearing matching boots and panties. And a cape. He's unmarried and has a "secret identity". By some standards he could be taken to represent a position that is far off to the left.

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
As 'We' all know, Superman DOES fight for Truth, Justice and the American way...so as long as 'We' know that what does it matter?

Do you really want more people to hate us for silly reasons such as comic book hero's???

I say the writers made a realistic choice in this 'Modern' world we live in.

This movie still rocks and was awesome from the get go!

I Am Johnny Mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Johnny, here are a few things to help people remember the missing part of the phrase!

Besides, how is the direction supposed to score any points in Hollywood if he looks like he's praising the American way? Let's not forget that Hollywood thinks that "American Way" means nothing more than NASCAR, Jesus and opression.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
JM says"Do you really want more people to hate us for silly reasons such as comic book hero's???"

I really can't be bothered WHY some hate the US...the American Way is why they come here by the millions...why they look to our output, even the creative output as the gold standard. We should lower our standards and expectations and goals and NOT hold up our accomplishnments to our peril. Superman was born of the American Dream. The American Way...Metropolis does not represent some 3rd world crap hole...it is gleaming American Steel, albeit with all it's inherent problems...we already garner hatered and jelousy just by BEING.

"In a story written by Joe Kelly in 2001, called ``What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?'' Superman is challenged by ultra-violent ``superhero'' Manchester Black who thinks the Man of Steel is living in a dream world where a clear line exists between right and wrong.

``You know what, Black?'' Superman replies. ``I wouldn't have it any other way. Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear: Until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share, I'll never stop fighting -- ever."

THAT is not the French way or the Russian Way or the Libian way or the Saudi Arabian Way or the Chinese Way...it is the American Way...and worth stating and worth being heard over and over.

Superman was created to represent the GOOD and the HEART and SPIRIT of the American Way...to push that aside as if ashamed, to proclaim it merely 'other stuff' is just stupid and the worst attribute of political correctness.

Less seriously but a point none the less...

Now can we please get those "M...F...Snakes off the M... F...Plane!?" or should Samuel L. Jacksons dialog be changed because somewhere they worship snakes and won't understand his motivation??
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 12:55, Payne wrote:
Quote:

The scriptwriter has obviously never read Larry Nivens essay "Man of Steel Woman of Kleenex" which explains why Superman could never have a physical relationship with Lois Lane.

Actually, he may have. In "Superman II" the hologram of Lara (Supe's mother) explained that he could only love a human woman if he gave up his super powers. fortunately, for the franchise, he gets them back!
Ain't life unkind?"
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 12:55, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Guys, were talking about a guy who can fly! It is a comic book character. What prevents him from having a kid? Just have enjoy it! Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, I am back from the theater, and I have to say, this is two thumbs up! They really did it right this time.

My observations: The actors were great, but the fellow who played Perry White was too toned down and mellow for my taste. I just loved the way Jackie did it in the first movie with that firey, type A personality "I'm the boss" DRIVE! I missed that.

Kevin Spacey as Lex was good too, but I miss Hackman's, biting, sarcastic way of delivering lines. There was something special about that that is hard to replicate.

But as the movie went on, the true evil in Luthor came out, and the scene where they viciously kicked Supes was very well acted. The plot device of having him stab Superman in the back with a home made Kryptonite dagger was a perfect way of showing how much deep, seathing hate he really had for the man of steel. This worked for me..in fact, MANY things about the movie worked. When Superman is down and practically groveling at Luthors feet, it twisted me up badly on the inside. To see Supermman in such an abject position was very hard to watch. Painful. It was just painful.

But the director had a way of taking you from one emotion to another on a totally different level. For instance, I was really touched by the scene where Superman was watching his son sleeping, and saying things that a father would only say to a son. it worked very well, and Brandon showed himself to be a fine actor just by that scene alone.

Ahhh yes! Brandon! No doubt, he is THE Superman for this generation. He contributed so much to the role. The scenes where he is Clark are SPOOKY in his eerie resemblance to Reeve in that role. It's uncanny. He had the looks AND the mannerisims down to a "t". He was truly Reeves doppleganger in that resect, and I don't think the casting directors could have done better if they had searched another ten years. Brandon was it, man.

Favorite scene? I will never forget the scene where the scum tries to shoot him in the most vulnerable spot, his eyeball. When the bullet bounces off, flattened, he gives the thug this perfect little "Do you now realize how f****d you are?", smile. I LOVED it!

Saddest scene? I teared up when they were doing the scene about the newspaper article about "the world doesn't need Superman anymore."

And Lois never DID get to smoke that cigarette!

I wasn't too happy, though, about how they just left Lex on the island. After the beating he gave Supes, I was just burning to see him come back and knock Luthor's $%^#$ head off. But it never happened.

But I figure they are saving it for the sequel. So I'll let that slide for now.

And one more thing. They brought back Reeves memory in a very special way, at least for me.

The action scenes were edge of your seat perfect, and the C.G. didn't really bother me that much. It was well done enough that I didn't notice it.

At times, I almost thought they made Superman TOO human, too vulnerable...but I suppose that without him having a weakness for the villain to exploit, there would be very little in the way of conflict for the script. If he was totally omnipotent, we surely could have never related to him to start with. As it is, there is enough of our humanity in him that we can feel with him, and we all know that makes for excellent theatre. Otherwise, it might just end up being BORING. After all, you must have more than just action scenes for the audience to relate to.

Still, at times I think at times the movie was missing some of the elements of "FUN" that the first one had, (Yes, Reeves sparkled and seemed to be enjoying himself so very much of the time) but I suppose as a director, one has to make editing decisions and such, and you just can't have it all.

All in all, though, I really loved the movie, and I am very much anticipating the sequel with enthusiasm and alacrity.

BTW, I heard that the Superman outfit alone had a price tag of over sixty grand. Geeesh!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
A few questions:

1) How in the world does Lois survive getting impregnated by Superman? You'd think she'd be vaporized by the very act!

2) Assuming she somehow survives the first part, how does she survive Superbaby kicking? I'm thinking that within the first 3 or 4 kicks, the baby has performed its own caesarian.

3) Does this kid being fathered by Superman mean that the classic pure-as-the-driven-snow Superman has been tossed out, along with "the American way?"

4) What changes have happened to Superman that make it possible for him to land on an entire island made of Kryptonite? The past Superman couldn't even approach it without losing his powers, or worse!

5) With all forms of Kryptonite, the radiation is what is having the effect on Superman. Has Lex Luthor become so dumb that his master plan is to stab his arch enemy who's already dying of radiation poisoning?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-07-02 05:46, Scott Cram wrote:
A few questions:

1) How in the world does Lois survive getting impregnated by Superman? You'd think she'd be vaporized by the very act!

Supes didn't have super powers when they had sex.

Quote:
2) Assuming she somehow survives the first part, how does she survive Superbaby kicking? I'm thinking that within the first 3 or 4 kicks, the baby has performed its own caesarian.

Apparently the kids powers only manifested themselves in a moment of crisis. Not only was the kid <not> superpowered in utero, he seemed actually sickly in a normal situation. (Probably the result of two dissimalar biologies trying to co-exist.)

Quote:
3) Does this kid being fathered by Superman mean that the classic pure-as-the-driven-snow Superman has been tossed out, along with "the American way?"

Probably. But it's the 21st century, get over it.

Quote:
4) What changes have happened to Superman that make it possible for him to land on an entire island made of Kryptonite? The past Superman couldn't even approach it without losing his powers, or worse!

The island wasn't "made" of kryptonite, it had kryptonite laced through it.

Quote:

5) With all forms of Kryptonite, the radiation is what is having the effect on Superman. Has Lex Luthor become so dumb that his master plan is to stab his arch enemy who's already dying of radiation poisoning?

That was a moment of pure unreasoning anger. For Luthor, it's not enough to kick a man while he's down, he has to literally "twist the knife."
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Superman Returns! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL