The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism, Up Close (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10771 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Humble opinion:

Of course one can do strolling mentalism and still retain "respect" - the key I think, which is overlooked by many, is what is the motif? If you are playing "hired help entertainer" well - yup...that might put a damper on things - if however, for example, you are playing the part that it is important that you and the specs are there together at this point in time because of some reason - some mystic / mental / whatever conjunction... things can go over better... "but you are the hired help!" "Do you think so? It was important to be here tonight... and if I told the hostess I would work for free... I doubt she would have let me be here... tonight... this night... to be with you... " "yeah right..." "You don't believe me....? I had a dream last night - I saw you in it... you kept saying something...over and over... now, just say something - anything...." "Pazuzu!!" "Ah... let me show you something.... I wrote something down on this post it note and put it in my wallet..." (hand over PAZAZU note courtesy of Lincoln's best ppencil and Mark's SUC Gen II (since you are posting here, I had to put that in)...."behold..."....then you move into some other things....

Of course, perhaps, that might freak the guests out and the host will be peeved... but what the heck.

As I said, just a IMHO
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2324 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
This topic always brings up heated points. I am sure Mark Strivings will remember the stimulating panel discussion he and I and other pros participated in at MindVention One on this topic. Basically, the original poster is correct - the area is wide open. It suits some and not others. My own thoughts are that performing mentalism up close is a special brand of magic (yes, magic) that has, in my opinion, the greatest potential of all of the mystery arts in this cynical day-in-age of causing spectators to seriously consider whether what they just witnessed was theatre or reality. In close up mentalism performances, I have had people scream; I have had them spontaneously burst into tears; I have had them turn and walk away not just impressed but genuinely moved to reconsider their thinking about reality. I think this is because in close up mentalism you have a far more powerful opportunity to transform spectators into PARTICIPANTS than when performing from the stage. For me, it is the last frontier of our art.

Christopher Taylor
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Strolling Mentalism is a NO in my agenda.
JoeMagician
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of JoeMagician
There's some amazing strolling mentalism out there, it's just a bit harder to do because usually everyone is drunk, so you really have to stick to highly visual pk things and not so many mind reading effects or you are sure to be burned because no one can think straight or follow directions when they're soused.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2324 Posts

[quote]On 2006-05-04 17:54, Mariagi wrote:
Strolling Mentalism is a NO in my agenda.
I'm wondering: how come?

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2324 Posts

[quote]However, there are, beyond a doubt, many mentalists who thrive on close-up/banquet/strolling mentalism (yes, I am one of them) and some of these guys absolutely possess a certain talent to be totally taken seriously, wowing thier audiences wherever they go.....and that's another fact!!!

You hit the nail on the head, my friend; being taken seriously is probably the mot difficult aspect of close-up mentalism. We do not have the grand stage to encourage people to suspend disbelief and lend us credibility. To compensate, I think we must possess or cultivate a powerful sense of sincerity in order to pull this stuff off.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Speaking of close-up..hopefully everyone has seen the effect TELEPATH in the
Havenly Close-up column in this month's edition of the Linking Ring. IMHO it is a must-do-effect. The possibilities are unlimited. How about giving all 12 of the symbol cards to the spec and by using a crib sheet there are no peeks, nothing written, no forces etc. Does anyone know anything about the orignator..Doug Canning?
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Ok this is a very good read.....Just thought I would throw in my 10pence worth.....I perform walk around mentalism and its this that's gets the most 'how did you do that's'......Why? well I have given this a great deal of thought.......and in my view its because people really don't understand it yet.......everyone knows what a card trick looks like they no what there getting they like it they smile they laugh....it entertains.......but then you name a card that they are thinking of...you know which hand the coin is in.....you know who is holding the black ball......you have predicted which symbol they are holding......their thought of card is 'flip turned' in the deck.....

There is no slight of hand - there has yet to be a 'masked mentalist' telling the world about 'slight of mind'

People love what they don't understand they love becoming kids again.....

I have no idea why people think this should not be performed close up in a walk about situation - I perform it and it DOES work, simple tested in a real life setting....

and I know of many performers who do perform it....

thanks for reading!!

Ash
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
QUOTE - You hit the nail on the head, my friend; being taken seriously is probably the mot difficult aspect of close-up mentalism. We do not have the grand stage to encourage people to suspend disbelief and lend us credibility. To compensate, I think we must possess or cultivate a powerful sense of sincerity in order to pull this stuff off.

Hiting every nail on the head!!!! Nice one Chris...
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
I think that Derren Brown's books "Pure Effect" and "Absolute Magic" have much worthwhile to say on this subject.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
I don't see how these books (althought I love them) are helpful to a strolling mentalist... Except for Mark Strivings and Christopher Taylor I don't know of any authors who have focused on this niche...
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
970 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Strolling mentalism... I don't like it.
When I do close up I'm seated at a table and there are always groups of 5 people who can join me.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Sh9bum9
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Sh9bum9
It is amusing to see so much back and forth over this subject. Do what you do well and remember we're entertainers first, mentalists or magicians second. Find what fits you.
Decisions determine destiny. Thomas S. Monson
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
You did notice this discussion is almost 10 years old?

Also, I would disagree with you. I for one consider myself a mindreader first, and an entertainer second.
Sh9bum9
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Sh9bum9
True, but the theme is prevalent throughout several of these threads. Though I admire your identification as a mentalist first, if you're not entertaining, it'll be a short career.
Decisions determine destiny. Thomas S. Monson
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3966 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's a hot debate. No question. But here's the thing: doing mentalism close-up calls for a different skill set than performing it on a stage. As Lee said: your material has to be clean and polished. It has to be INTERESTING. The twin beauties of doing close-up mentalism are a) the absolute amazement on the faces of the audience when an impossible "something" happens right in front of them and b) the performer's ability to get a handle on who the audience is, do PS -- choose potential people for the stage show.

I actually prefer to do a close-up set even when I'm booked for a stage show -- not just for the reasons above. It also provides a very strong added value to the client to seal the deal -- or more often allows me to upsell a 45 minute set and get an extra fee for a show where I'm already on-site.

It's also a wonderful way to test and work on newer material. I'm loathe to put anything into my stage show until I'm convinced it is the absolute best it can be. Doing newer effects close-up allow me to do this with a much lower risk.

Does close up demean the mentalism? I don't understand that idea. Why would it? I suppose it depends on the performer...but I'm convinced that someone who could read a mind would have no issue doing it on a close-up basis.

Second to "finally" -- cutting close-up out of your performance skill set cuts off a huge chunk of potential business: hospitality suites, trade shows, VIP events -- some fair and exhibition options. Why would you want to do that?

The final reason? Close up mentalism is a blast.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
That's pretty much my specialty. All of the works I've released to the mentalism community contain close-up material. It's my type of mentalism.

Kind regards,

-Vlad
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2016, David Thiel wrote:
Does close up demean the mentalism? I don't understand that idea. Why would it? I suppose it depends on the performer...but I'm convinced that someone who could read a mind would have no issue doing it on a close-up basis.

i agree completely...there is an intensity in close-up, and though I can't compare it to stage - because of the inherent intimacy in close-up, I think the atmosphere it can create is very engaging and unique...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism, Up Close (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL