The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Genii Forum closes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Folks:
The Genii Magazine Forum has shut down abruptly...this message was posted tonight:

"The Genii Forum will no longer be accessible for further postings. The forum has been a wonderful environment for the communication of magicians from all over the world.

For future reference, the contents of the forum will remain online as an archive. You can still search and read topics that were previously discussed.

The staff at the Genii Forum does offer a great deal of thanks for our 2,018 members. Opening in July of 2001, we've certainly come a long way. And now, we've come to our end."

Can anyone shed some light on what happened, and why Richard, et al., decided to shutter the forum?
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Mr. Kaufman has about a zillion things going on— along with a new child, a failing economy, a magazine that has been completely turned around, and probably a half dozen books in the works.

He has been hinting at this for a couple of months and his pride wouldn't allow another person to take over the forum's daily maintainence for a product that he is ultimately responsible for. When someone has a reputation for excellence in most everything he does, it's hard to let anyone help even a little— A-Type personality?

I'll certainly miss it— this forum (Café) is great but Genii was a place where you could get in a good spittin' contest!

I certainly hope Mr. Kaufman is OK— he's been a magical hero of mine for some years now.

Dave
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
This forum (Cafe) is great but Genii was a place where you could get in a good spittin' contest!

You're kidding, right? Kaufman banned people and deleted threads when they challenged his biased and often flawed opinions. The idea that there was any open debate on that board is ludicrous.

I wouldn't be surprised if his analyst told him that the board was bad for his health. Certainly some of his more recent florid behaviour suggests he was badly in need of a prescription for Prozac.

Andrew
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
I'm going to miss the Genii Forum very much. While the Café is nice, it's so darn big, I feel like I'm wandering the isles at Costco in search of a stick of gum. Genii felt smaller— a closer community. In any event, the Café is now the site I'll spend most of my time on. This means I'll post a lot more. And that means you all will benefit. Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Ruben said:
And that means you all will benefit.

Look forward to it. Smile
Paul
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
George Devol is correct. Richard Kaufman had more experience making threads invisible than Michael Ammar demonstrated on his 3 DVD series. I enjoyed the Genii forum, but I have seen posts and even entire threads vanish without a trace because someone picked apart one of Richard's arguments (or accusations) and he got mad.

The worst thing I saw was when a well known magician was accused of stealing an idea of Gene Maze's and publishing it under his own name. When Gene Maze confirmed that this was not true, Gene Maze was accused of lying because he was "too nice to start a confrontation".

No, wait. The worst thing was when a well known magician pointed out that Richard's first hand knowledge of events surrounding Dai Vernon and unpublished material may not have been accurate, so Richard blasted him and then banned him from posting.

No, I'm sorry. The worst was when he posted that he heard Bernard Billis had died and a lot of Bernard's friends were very upset because they knew nothing about it. (Fortunately it turned out to be a hoax.)

Despite all of the excitement, it was an interesting place to visit. I am a bit disappointed that if he was hinting around for a while, the least he could have done was let people know that this was coming. (I didn't know it shut down until someone emailed me to ask me what it was about.)

Perhaps Richard created a thread telling us he was shutting it down but someone questioned it and he deleted it?
ME
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Update:
Richard has posted the following mesage:

"Dear Readers of The Genii Forum,

"Today I made the difficult decision to close the forum. While it has become a vital and vibrant place for discussion in our magical community, it has also become a huge responsibility that has taken up a great deal of my time. I spend hours a day monitoring posts and writing messages, when there are already far too few hours in the day. I have thought of turning over all responsibility to another party, however, since the forum is under the Genii name, I feel responsible for anything which appears on it. The more successful it has become, the more difficult it has been to monitor. So, with thanks to all of you who have participated in this experiment in a spontaneous electronic community, we sign off. I look forward to seeing all of you in Genii, The Conjurors' Magazine, every month.

Richard Kaufman
December 12, 2002"

Steve Brooks and I have exchanged IMs; many of you know the extent to which he really devotes his spare time (such as it is) to the Café; Richard's message makes it clear that he couldn't do the same with his board.

I noted to Steve that some of the posts on Genii had grown quite vituperative and personal. That's something that we know Steve and his Merry Men/Women will not allow to happen here...but it takes a lot of hours and a lot of dedication. (In that light, Dave Egleston's comment about Type A personality may have a germ of truth to it.)

Ah well....onward and upward.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
If you continue to badmouth Richard I'm going to close this thread! Smile
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
LOL @ Ruben.

I'm locking this topic!!!
ME
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
The Genii Forum has re-opened with Jon Racherbaumer at the helm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Genii Forum closes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL