The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What Are Magic Silks Outside of the magic Shop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
Are the silks you buy at Magic shops just standard silk? If not, what material are they or what material would I buy at a fabric shop instead of buying magic silks?
Has anyone found a better material to use in a silk routine?
Thanks
Red
MrBrett
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrBrett
The fabric at the magic store is polyester. You'll find that silk does not wrinkle. I wuld reccommend using actual silk, but keep in mind you would have to hem the edges to keep them from fraying or falling apart.
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
Thank you so very much! Any suggests as far as the thickness? I assume that thinner is better for color changes and disappearances, but how thin can it be and still be used to cover my hands?
MrBrett
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrBrett
I usualy go to a fabric store and tell them the sort of thing I am looking for. They are usualy very god at finding things. If you go there and find a fabric, hold it up to the lgiht and it you can clearly see through it it's too thin but if it lets just a little light through, I'd say it's perfect.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Red,

I can't totally agree with the information given you here.

First, it is very likely that the silks sold at magic shops are indeed silk. In the USA, the materials are labeled "100% silk" if the are. I do have wholesale customers who sell them in clear bags but they are shipped to them in DoveLite printed envelopes labeled for contents. Of course, once removed from our package, we can not vouch for them.

Secondly, real 100% pure silk will certainly wrinkle! Many synthetic materials do not wrinkle like silk.

Thirdly, silk quality is not measured by opaqueness. Silk is described by momme. That is a measure of weight not quality. Two pieces of silk the same weight may appear very different. (Just as a tee shirt and a pair of socks may have the same cotton, momme tells you nothing about appearance.)

Quality is also judged by hems, corners and squareness. Hemming at home is not competitive with the current 2mm flat hems on imports for China today. Good hems should be almost impossible to see or feel without an effort to do so.

Good hemmed silks are available from good magic shops. Currently the better 18" pure silks retail from $6.00 - $7.50.

Unfortunately, not all magic vendors know silk or offer correctly labelled products. Prices don't tell it all. However, there are plenty of silk magicians here on The Magic Café. Most are more than willing to help you.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Silk that don't wrinkle???!!! Wow! Where can I get it?

:)

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

I worried about that for years. Now it's my face wrinkling!

(Silky does not describe my skin. LOL)

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hahaha!

Now come on, Bob.....I'll bet Lucy would disagree with that!

Regan
Mister Mystery
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Folded silks stored for a long time can break at the crease. A good way to store silks and keep them wrinkle free is to roll them on to a cardboard paper towel tube, and place inside a mailing tube for added protection.

KOTAH
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Great suggestion, Kotah. I had never heard of this before.

Regan, a good way to "iron" the wrinkles out of your silk between performances is to wet it with cool water and stick it to your mirror in your hotel room. Put a towel over the sink to catch it when it air dries and falls off in about 20 minutes. It will be perfectly smooth! I learned this tip from Lisa Menna.

Here is my addition: If you are in a hurry, you can use a blow drier on WARM (not hot) setting, stick the wet silk to the mirror and aim the blow drier at the middle of the silk. The blow drier should be about 12" from the silk and keep it moving in a small circle. The silk will be dry in seconds and will fall off the mirror when dry.
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-02-09 09:18, KOTAH wrote:
Folded silks stored for a long time can break at the crease. A good way to store silks and keep them wrinkle free is to roll them on to a cardboard paper towel tube, and place inside a mailing tube for added protection.

KOTAH

Please don't use a paper tube. The acid in the paper can cause its own set of problems. Wrap the tube with a plastic trash bag first so the paper doesn't touch the silk. There are also plastic tubes sold at golf shops that work well. They are cheap too!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
I agree Bob! I have many silks, and NEVER put them on paper or cardboard of any type due to acid. I have found that small plastic plumbing pipes (for sinks & such) found at a Lowes or Home Depot work awsome and you can get them anywhere from 6" to 18", and anywhere from .50 to $1.99. A small investment for care of expensive silks!
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
They make acid-free cardboard tubes for storing artwork, documents, etc. safely.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Another source of plastic tubes that work well for silks are the plastic cover tubes made for florescent light tubes. Home Depot wins again at about $3.00 for the four-footer.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Inside the tube is a great place to store appearing canes extended!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Somewhere I heard (as I quickly remove my silks wrapped around cardboard tubes) that putting USED static-cling sheets in with your silks helps eliminate static cling in performance.

Has anybody tried this or is this or is this an urban (silk) legend?

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Andy,

In view of training I have had at taxpayer expense, dryer sheets make great fire starters and fuses! I would not want them in with my silks.

However, I should own stock in Static Guard spray. I use it a lot. Spray the magician! He's the one who drags his feet across the carpet and slides his wool suit down the stage curtain. Thus, he generates most of the static.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Andy
I have rolled my silks with used dryer sheets with relative success for several years. However, I think reduce static not eliminate would be the wording.

After reading Bob's post, I think I need to re-evaluate things.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Bob,

Spraying Static Guard on the magician makes perfect sense. Great idea!

Chris,

Yes, I'm constantly re-evaluating EVERYTHING thanks to the the input on this wonderful Magic Café.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Wash silks? What a concept!!
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Magic Ian,

You remember that time I washed my silks? TV sets were just being introduced.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What Are Magic Silks Outside of the magic Shop? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL