The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Best mind-reading ever! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Maddened
You guys probably know about the old "con" where you're asked to think of two simple geometric shapes, one inside the other, but not a square Smile. Well I've been using that quite often as just something to fill in the gaps or during an offbeat moment before I launch into something bigger.

Recently, a friend of mine (a teacher) brought some of his students to meet me, saying he wishes for me to perform a few mentalism effects for them. Unfortunately I couldn't do much and though all my effects went well, they were unimpressed. I could sense that they were really there to try and discover my techniques, resisting my instructions, constantly trying to catch me out, and a lot of self-censuring of response was taking place...

That is, until I tried the shape test.

It started out normally. I had the circle. I had it established that the circle was the shape on the outside. Then I said, "Triangle." The boy shook his head no. Oh well, they have been giving me a hard time, so I couldn't care anymore. I just looked him in the eye and said, "It's a tetrahedon isn't it?"

He looked as if I just told him I'm his father. By sheer dumb luck I actually got it correct! A *** tetrahedon (a 3-D shape with triangles making up three sides of the shape)! Wooo hoo!! Smile

For the rest of the session, he was there desperately trying to explain to his friends what a tetrahedon is and defending his choice, saying that it was a legitimate geometric shape (yea, but it sure wasn't SIMPLE).

Best. Day. Of. My. Life. Smile
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
What a great story, well done! The idea is a very powerful one - as you have witnessed, and is explored in detail in (Steve Shaw) Banachek's book, Psychological Subtleties, well worth checking out. This kind of experience reminds me of last weekend, when a budding young magician asked me if I could do a 'Think of a Card' trick for him. I hit the 7H directly, which had a huge impact on him! Smile

Cheers

Chris
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
That's a pretty lucky guess. I wonder what you would've done if you were wrong. I would've died.

Chrix
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Best mind-reading ever! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL