The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » What bothers me about Mr. Angel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I have heard that Criss Angel is a good magician in person. I have heard that his Broadway show is good. I have heard that he is a great sleight of hand artist. I agree that his T.V. show is a great way for the general public to experience magic. But something still bothers me.
I read all of these post that point fingers at stooges, camera tricks, and every other T.V. trick you can think of. I agree. When you look at a few simple tricks that are only possible with the help of a stooge, it makes you question. For instance, last week Criss is in a bar and grabs a "strangers" jacket. He pauses while a waitress walks past, puts the jacket of two "strangers" hands and a full bottle and bucket of champagne appears. Come on. This might be a poor example but seriously, not one person in there helped out on that? The acting on some of the stooges brought forth are horrible. I cannot remember what trick it was, but it was also last week that I saw the worst show of acting ever. Criss performs a trick and two guys in the background, turn to each other and high five in a way that made me stop my TV just to see it again. Are you kidding me. Never in my 10 years of magic have I had two grown men turn to each other and play patty cake in a bar. Odd?
I'm not saying that he uses stooges 100% of the time, but some of the effects are just so obvious. I don’t know how anyone can defend that. I know I know, I'm just mad because I don’t know how he did it, or because I don’t have my own T.V. show. Is that what you were going to say to me? I'm not questioning whether his show is good or not, I'm questioning why someone that calls themselves a magician would defend that? If you are a laymen, ok I understand. For instance the other night a man said to me" how did Criss Angel float from one building to another?" I just looked at him and said” magic". But I expect that. But from someone who is a magician? I just have this feeling that in person, Criss isn’t going to be walking up a random wall at will. He wont be floating 10 feet over my head in a Christ like pose and I’m also guessing that he wont be making poker chips penetrate through a Non-Criss Angel manufactured deck of cards. Just my thoughts.
O, and before I end this, the exposure deal. The tricks he has been exposing are simple tricks, tricks that the professional wouldn’t use. But what about the third grader whose just getting into magic and has now been crushed because a trick that has good quality to it has been exposed on A&E. Ratings my ***. I'm guessing that if a show came on at 11 right after MindFreak, and exposed everything Criss had just done, he wouldn’t be very happy. Just my thoughts I guess.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
I agree completely. In other threads you will see a lot of mixed feelings towards the show. What bothers me is not the use of stooges, but how obvious they become. Not the use of camera tricks, but the actual fact of them saying that none were used. The one thing I can´t stand in when the audience are the stooges. Come on, use stooges in the tricks if you need to, but to stooge the audience? There is nothing better than having a real reaction from an amazed fan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » What bothers me about Mr. Angel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL