The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magic Shop Shopping List Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
I am going to the magic shop today and I would like to buy one Dvd and may be a coin gaff, but I don't know where to start. I own Bobos book and Jay Skankys revolutionary Coin Magic Dvd but I don't know what I should buy so I come to you all. What are the bast coin magic DVDs and the best Coin Gaffs (for the price).
Thanks
red
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Sorry but the best advice I can give you is don't buy anything. You probably won't listen, and I understand. I think we've all been where you are. If you like coins so much, spend more time with your Bobo book. 80 percent of what you'd learn elsewhere is in there. It might be too early in your journey to fully get this, but try to determine what kind of effects appeal to you. What do you want to do with coins? Then figure out how these effects can be achieved, and find the appropriate sleights in Bobo. If your dream effect has a part that you can't figure out, come back here and ask advise. We'll help you find the sleight or gaff that you need. If your still doing magic a few years from now, come back and read this. It'll make more sense then. Good luck on your shopping trip.

Since you probably won't listen to my above input:
For easy tricks with a lot of variety - Michael Ammar
For basic sleights and a solid foundation - David Roth
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8846 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Gotta agree with Josh...Good advice! You got Bobo's, you got most of it already with some diligent practice, that is. Smile I'd also suggest the new "Modern Coin Magic" dvd set as it follows well with Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic book. It's a great visual reference to a book you'll have and refer to the rest of your life pretty much. Here, check it out and enjoy the ride Smile

Oh, and you can't go wrong with the Ammar and Roth suggestions either...Good shoots, Josh. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy, Volumes 1,2, & 3,

Michael Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic DVD,

David Stone's Coin Magic Videos, Volumes 1 & 2,
are all a good places to start but it depends on your budget.
You can go to http://www.coinvanish.com/ and click on "Foundations" for more information on these.

For a gaff, Johnson's 'Hopping Halves' will get you more than one gaff and will be less costly in the long haul. Make sure it's a Johnson!!!
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
Ok so I'll take your advise relunctantly but I still want a gaff or two and I'm thinking of an okito box. Any other suggestions?
What gaffs are included in the hopping halves? A copper silver coin and what? Shell?
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Okato boxes are not gaffs, in fact they don't even exist...
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
You know what I ment
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I agree with Jaz. If you must, get the hopping halves. And make sure it's a Johnson. Accept no substitutes. If you can't afford the Johnson set, don't get a lesser version. Hold off until you can afford it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1617 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Actually, I have the Sasco Hopping Halves (sorry, but someone gave it to me as a gift). I have it in the Expanded Shell version. What's the difference between it and the Johnson?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-06-29 15:46, Redhead wrote:
Ok so Ill take your advise relunctly but I still want a gaff or two Im am thing of an okato box , and any outher suggestions?
what gaffs are included in the hopping halfs? a copper sliver coin and what? Shell?

Well you should be careful when asking anyone what you should buy.
Everyone has their own opinions as you can see here on the Café posts.

PMed you about HHs.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-06-29 17:05, bugjack wrote:
Actually, I have the Sasco Hopping Halves (sorry, but someone gave it to me as a gift). I have it in the Expanded Shell version. What's the difference between it and the Johnson?

LOL no need to apologize. I think most people believe the quality of the Johnsons are a bit better.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8846 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You can also do quite a lot with a simple copper/silver coin. Smile And if you're up to it, an expanded shell can take you some places too. But of all of it, I'd suggest the sleights in Bobo's as Josh alluded to...Learn that stuff well, and you can do all sorts of amazing things, without any gaffs at all. But if you must, and it seem you will, there are a lot of easy-enough coin gaffs they will sell you, most of us have most of them I'm sure. Smile Scotch & Soda is real popular and Lethal Tender is a great effect. Still have to say, nothing beats the sleights in the way of more lasting and creative usage. Good luck and have fun. Smile

PS - of all the coin gaffs I've come across that I have from over the years...I actually don't carry not a one of them with me regularly...I only carry an english penny, a couple of half dollars, a chinese coin, a key (for "Coin to key" in bobos), and a silver dollar, that's it. And I come to realize that's all I really ever needed. All the rest was sorta like a pretty girl at the moment...cute, but... (no pun intended). Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I agree with the Johnson suggestion, they make quality stuff. If you do get an Okito Box, you must get either a book or DVD by David Roth on the subject. Bobo is a good start, but Roth teaches routines and tons of moves.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I try to support my local shop, even if I know it is not me that is keeping there doors open.

Check out the thread on Magic as an addiction.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=24

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1776 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I suggest that if you wasnt a good list of sleights to put your own routine togather to buy Michael Rubinstein's Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights,it has many great and some unpublished ideas.as for a gaff I wouldnt even buy one,you should get a jumbo coin and a okito box for some great magic.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

So what did you get?????????
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Eddie Gibson's Coin Unique
Sliver/Copper/Brass
Visible Coin Penetration
The Spellbinding Boxes
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
An okito box that I broke the next day=( Look in the Nothing up my sleaves forum and help me out with finding out what type of box it is and how to fix it. There it all ready a thread there
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Oooops! I did that with the lid once. Go with the piece of wood idea. I guess we should have been specific when recomending Johnson products, they make Okito boxes as well. The one you got is a boston box. Not nearly as cool as the standard Okito, in my opinion. Did you get a book or DVD as well?
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
Nope not an boston box. Have you read my thread?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magic Shop Shopping List Help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL