The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What makes rope good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Craig Peterson
View Profile
New user
Utah
89 Posts

Profile of Craig Peterson
I am adding a rope effect to my parlor/platform routine, but am in a bind as to what makes a rope good. I'm sure I could use clothesline, but I would probably be missing out. There are lots of good comments on where to get rope, but not so many on what makes a buy good. So:

1) What diameter do you need for a close-up, parlor, or platform routine?

2) What looks suspicious? What looks normal?

3) How soft is soft? Does it really need to be cotton?

4) Coring a rope can make it look limp. Am I better off getting a rope you don't need to core?

Thanks
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
You have lots of questions, and there are not any easy answers. These responses are strictly IMHO. A better person to ask might be Dennis Loomis at http://www.loomismagic.com , who has a Knot DVD and knows a lot about rope routines.

For platform: bright white rope 1/2 diameter is not a bad choice. Although depending on the routine, any bright color will do.

Softness: I like round, soft rope that's braided. You will need to ask dealers and check out hardware stores to see what they have. They used to sell rope with a foam core that was soft, round, and easy to use.

However for some escape routines, stiffer rope may be better to allow you to get some slack.

Suspicions: Most people will believe ropes are normal until you give them a reason to doubt. Obviously if you have gaffed ropes, your naturalness and familiarity with the routine will go a long way to dismiss doubts.

Cored: I prefer cored rope, even if it makes it look limp. Some types of rope are cored, yet remain round and still have a firmness.

Good luck
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Speaking from relative inexperience, I would say that some effects require the rope to be smooth and frictionless (eg - not hairy). Others require it to fall back into shape quickly (eg - so that a loop can quickly turn into a straight bit).

Sometimes thin rope is easier than thick (eg - There's a move in Mark Leveridge's Ring Competition where you throw a metal ring onto an already knotted loop of rope. It works better with my cheap Walmart clothes line than my expensive magician's cotton rope.)
Jolyon Jenkins
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Craig,
There are hundreds of rope tricks, and several correct answers. In my briefcase, I carry four kinds of rope, and there are over 10 rope tricks that I like to do. So my question to you is, what rope tricks do you do?
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Cotton Clothesline from Walmart works great for C&R and Prof. Nightmare type routines.
In fact, it will work just fine for about 90-95% of all rope effects.
You really don't need to buy expensive rope.
Daniel Faith
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Over the years, I'm sure I have gone through miles of rope, eight feet at a time. Nothing is better than plain ole cotton clothesline. For the last twenty-five years, I have been supplied by two famous magic shops: WalMart and Big Lots. The current price is about $.03/ft. I haven't used any since yesterday! Today hasn't started yet.

There was a time when I bought rope by the pound from the manufacturer in Georgia. It was cheaper then! (300' for $2.50) Life goes on. Over-spending is not a status symbol to some of us.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MKmagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MKmagic
I use a soft nylon rope from Walmart for my Professor's Nightmare routine.
It works good for me.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Unless you have specific reason for doing so...use white.
To most people, ropes are white...unless you want them to instantly think gaff.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Use any kind of rope you like, just make sure you buy a very good quality scissors, so you look like a real magician cutting the rope with no stress.
I do not like to see a magician having a hard time to cut a rope, since it does not make sense (we have magic power).
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What makes rope good? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL