The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » noise reduction help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
I have been working on the back palm/front
palm pivot and though my hands are small
I have managed to get the move down pretty
well... with one exception- the cards "talk"
a little bit.

I know with time I will eventually make this
move silent, but I'm wondering if there are
any tips you might have to help speed my
results?
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
550 Posts

Profile of KC
Usually, card manipulation acts do them on stage instead of close-up, and so you have to factor that in. Also, when you do your card manipulation act, you may use some music.

This post isn't saying that you shouldn't work your butt off in your backpalm endeavor, I'm just saying that you should realize the performing environment for backpalming and pivoting.
Jay Sane
View Profile
New user
NY, USA
16 Posts

Profile of Jay Sane
That is VERY important in card manipulation. You will drive yourself crazy trying to
"perfect" many moves to the point of being invisible, when many of them cannot be invisible. The DISTANCE and LIGHTING is what makes many of them seem invisible.

For example, if you are backpalming packs of cards and plan on doing split fan productions, I really think it is IMPOSSIBLE to completely conceal the cards, the corners will always be peaking through your fingers.

I did not realize this at first and learning from Jeff McBrides AOCM tapes this hit me like a ton of bricks. I realised the reason it seemed to be invisible closeup when he was demonstrating was merely because of video resolution, had you been standing 5 feet in front of him in person you would see corners peaking through.

The best way to tell if your moves "look right" is to film them with a video camera, with music playing! Then if you own and are specifically working on something from the AOCM tapes, compare the two!

Although, hey, if you think you can perfect producing split fans starting with 52 cards, and control those pesky corners, then you just might be the next MOTY lol

In all seriousness, I do think that most people practicing this type of card manipulation get discouraged because they are not told how to properly judge how good their moves look! Odds are they look better than you think, especially if you have been trying to make them look perfect when standing 2 feet in front of a mirror!!!
Justin Sane
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Thank you guys for shedding light on things.
Yeah I pretty much was standing 2 feet from
a mirror.

I am going to work on a single production/vanish and pivoting and trying to make it silent and invisible without gloves because I think I can, but when it comes to more than that I will not beat myself up if I can't get it 100%.

Thanks again.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I suggest loudly clearing your throat or sniffling when doing the move. My best advice though would be to sing acapella during your performance and allow your voice to reach a high soprano-pitch at that moment thereby masking the noise in a most casual and nonchalant manner. This is called "misdirection."
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Misdirection is good, but it isn't always
the answer. I just didn't want to be using
misdirection to cover lack of skill.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Hey, misdirection IS a skill. Politicians make brilliant use of it and so should we.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
I'm not playing the semantics game, you know
what I meant. There was nothing even remotely
confusing about the way I said what I said.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
A pivot and backpalm can be done invisibly close up. The problem starts when you use more than a few cards or your audience surrounds you. I do a five card routine using lots of different manipulation sleights. I have done it close-up and get great reactions.

Here's a few pointers for better backpalms and pivots

Keep the hand in motion. Or a recently produced card (or a fan of cards) can help conceal the edges if you are using lots of cards. As far as the silence of a pivot, either make noise with cards in the other hand, (to cover the noise of the pivot) or reduce the source of the noise (usually a fingernail dragging along the card closest to the hand.) Only with practice can you avoid scraping the cards with a fingernail.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » noise reduction help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL