The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cigarette through Coin (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
Coin through cigarette

I was going to post a thread asking for assistance "re-banding" my cigarette through quarter but I seem to have lost it, so I guess I'll be replacing it soon. I'd like to know which version of it I should look into. The one I had was VERY angle sensitive as the gimmick took up more than half the quarter, but could be displayed before and after the cig was penetrated/removed.

Are there some CTQ gimmicks that are better than others, or are they all pretty much the same?
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Go with the Johnson coin. You will never have to replace a band because there isn't one. It's also almost seamless. To top it off, it's guaranteed for life. If it wears out, they'll send you a new one.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I agree to much hassle and not worth it. I love the Johnson one. And I have had almost all of them.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
The only Johnson gaff coin I use is a Cig thru half. I would go that route.
gfcal
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of gfcal
I agree that the Johnson coin is the way to go (although it's getting harder and harder to do any cigerette effects these days).
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
The "Johnson Coin" Is money well spent!

:cheers:
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
Yea I agree, go for the Johnson.

Chrix
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
I stopped in for it, but they were sold out. doh! I'll head back or head into the city and pick it up at Tannens or Fantasma.
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Is the Johnson one the single faced coin? If so, it's the one I've had and used for 16 years.

I recently got Belanger's version. I like it but went pack to the other gimmick.

On a side note, I highly reccomend Derren Brown's handling. Just brilliant. And if you can't find a smoker, a bic ben works just as nice.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I also enjoy Derrick Dingle's version. It takes all the heat off.
Johnson's is a single faced coin.
Mobius
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
Hmm The one I used to have was double-faced. and VERY well done, even under somewhat close inspection, you couldn't tell it was a gaff looking right at it held in an open palm and then flipped over. Both sides could be seen in their entirety and then the coin/pen pushed right through/visually. The only down side is that you had to watch the angles once the coin was penetrated.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Bloodkin, the bic pen is what I use, the round kind, it fits perfectly.
**Roper**
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
170 Posts

Profile of **Roper**
Just to reiterate the description of the Johnson coin, it uses a spring instead of a rubber band.

In my opinion David Williamson has one of the best handlings. His routine is similar to Michael Ammar’s but the switch at the end is different. It is an absolutely beautiful handling for the pen or cig through the quarter. You can find the routine in Slight of Dave Two DVD.
Sleightly_Done
View Profile
New user
Orange Park, Florida
76 Posts

Profile of Sleightly_Done
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 18:29, Jaypoc wrote:
Hmm The one I used to have was double-faced. and VERY well done, even under somewhat close inspection, you couldn't tell it was a gaff looking right at it held in an open palm and then flipped over. Both sides could be seen in their entirety and then the coin/pen pushed right through/visually. The only down side is that you had to watch the angles once the coin was penetrated.

Those are the one's that use rubber bands. They look nice, but are just not practical over the long run. In my experience, the bands just don't hold up and they end up being a maintenance issue you add to your list. I'm with seemingly everyone else on this list..... Johnson is the way.
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Yah, I had looked into the double faced version but was advised the same thing. They just don't hold up well.

BTW, Derren's version is in Pure Effect. It uses the Johnson version but is very bold and works like a charm. Highly reccomend it.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
I still prefer the Paul Bellenger (SP) cig thru quarter the best.

Mike
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The Belanger type coin is great!
Problem free and examinable from both sides.

I've used this idea with different coins and things like toothpicks, swizzle sticks and such.

I also have Johnson type which is more visual.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3631 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
If you have the Johnson version, you can do my effect from the June '05 issue of Genii - its a more practical idea than using a cigarette, politically correct, and great for table hopping.
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
On 2006-07-13 21:02, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
If you have the Johnson version, you can do my effect from the June '05 issue of Genii - its a more practical idea than using a cigarette, politically correct, and great for table hopping.

I'll Second that!

Mike
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I highly recommend the Johnson coin. The idea that you need a gaff that can be shown on both sides is illogical in the context of the routine. Consider that you 'borrow' a quarter from someone. By definition the coin is 'normal'. By the time you have penetrated the quarter and then undone the damage what the audience is left with can be looked at all they wish.

It is frequently a problem when balancing a routine that we try to prove 'too much'. Prove that something is TOO normal, etc. The entire strength of borrowing a prop is that it illiminates much of the 'proofing' that is needed for other routines. Best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cigarette through Coin (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL