We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Close up pad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
I like Duffy's Close-Up Pads. They're made of a neoprene-like material with a rubber backing, so it won't slide. I like the fact that it doesn't have as much "give" like in other pads. It's kind of like in between a regular close-up pad and a computermouse pad, if you will.

Certainly worth looking into.
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
Mike Doogan
View Profile
New user
US (living in UK)
64 Posts

Profile of Mike Doogan
I second B to the T.

I helped Trevor design the mat via a friend who works in plastics.

It's a real workers mat.
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
One mat I did NOT care for is John Cornelius' Shuffle Mat. It is essentially a mouse pad (and the standard blue, of all colors) cut to fit the inside of a flimsy packet. And despite what the pictures show on websites selling this mat (the picture looks black), the blue is the only color available.

Who makes the better table hopper mat - Gibson or Apollo?
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I bought a mat from jbtv.co.uk ad it's just fine for the price.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1640 Posts

Profile of randirain
I like the Trevor Duffy pads myself.

It's basically wetsuit material.

It's strong, it doesn't seperate, or rub off spots on the top.

You can also roll it up and it will come back to shape without and folds.

And it surely doesn't slide around with the rubber bottom.

Randi
magical expressions
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magical expressions
Steve Della also sells some top quality close up pads
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
224 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Close Up Mats by Pattrick - Hey Gang, Thank you for the positive comments about our mats. My construction partner went through some bad times and we suspended production for the past year.Hurricane Katrina also pushed up the price on raw materials. We are hoping to make a production run in the near future. If you are remotely interested please send me your e mail address and I will send you a notice of when we build. We also custom cut sizes at no extra charge. You only pay for the material used. You can contact me at pattrick@pmsmagic.com Thank you again. Magically Yours, Pattrick Przysiecki
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
As has been stated over and over by experienced performers here and elsewhere, mouse pads are not as good for card and, particularly, coin tricks as professional close-up pads.

This is a prime example of "false economy". You want something that is softer than a mouse pad but which won't permanently crease if rolled up. It also shouldn't "bubble", i.e., have the glue come undone between the layers.

The wetsuit material used by most of the pad manufacturers is made to be durable, to stretch, and to get wet and then dry over and over. Mouse pads are intentionally harder in order to maintain contact with the ball.

If you're serious about your magic, just get one of the commercially made pads. $15 or $20 is not a lot of money to spend to create your "performance area".
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I own one of the "4 Ace" mats, mine is black but they come in green, dark red, blue & black. I can't remember who makes though. If anyone does know , could you tell me please.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Pattrick,

Sent you an e-mail and a PM. Your close-up pads are simply the best. You custom made one for me that I just love. Hope you start up production again soon.

Regards,

José.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2240 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Can't go wrong with the Dean Dill pads or workstation, I have both and they're worth every penny. Also try the http://www.thetrickery.com, Howard carries the Appolo closeup mats, which I use a lot as well and they are very fairly priced.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Mouse pads: not enough "give" for some coin work, and lack of texture makes for bad card spreads.

Cheap foam-only pads: nice surface, but lack of solid anchoring back makes them too light, prone to slide, and the foam degrades (especially if you leave it out in the daylight).

Expensive neoprine-backed pads: perfect smooth surface for cards and solid yet giving anchoring backing that coins love.

You get what you pay for.

Douglas M.
MrBrett
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrBrett
You know, I would personally go for a COMPUTER MOUSE PAD that isn't over priced and is literally the same thing.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
MrBrett: Mouse pads don't work well for coin and card magic.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
MrBrett
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrBrett
Errr...yes they do. Ive used the same mouse pad for years without it damaging.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Douglas:

Of course you're right, as evidenced by the number of professional magicians who use mouse pads (none) instead of a good, soft, neoprene closeup pad.
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Mouse Pads are not as soft as many close up pads..... One of the best close up pads I have are my Loftus mats (believe it or not).... My apollo and gibson pads have both started peeling with less use. I do prefer Apollos table hopper because of it's portability... it fits in my cargo pocket.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
I've heard that the Dean Dill pads are very good, as you'd expect, but the smallest he sells is way too big for my table. I think it's meant for a regular, not a magician's, table (on rollers, for example).
jegreene
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jegreene
I use the Trevor Duffy Magic Mat. It's 13 1/2Inches by 18 inches and holds up pertty good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Close up pad (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL