The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Si Stebbins book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I'm just throwing this question out to take a poll but I've been thinking about this for awhile.

Would there be any interest in a book devoted to effects solely using the Si Stebbins stack and do you have a effect or routine using this stack you would like published?

LMK what your thoughts are.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
There is a book devoted exclusively to Si Stebbins
It's called Si Stebbins Card Tricks And The Way He Performs Them, published in 1898
There are thirteen tricks in it and a short history of Si Stebbins, also known as the Rube.
It's a great little book. With the introduction, Mr Stebbins extols the virtue of Bicycle playing cards. He emphasizes the statement, "That this is the best card trick book ever published, Bar None"

and

"My reason for writing this book is the money I expect to obtain from it's sale."

After the statements made by Si, how could you possibly have the nerve to try to follow up???

Seriously, I love this little book by and about Si Stebbins. I'm very lucky to have it in my collection.

Dave
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5876 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Check-out some of the Dover books by Jean Hugard. There's some great stuff there.

Gene Anderson self-publishes his routine. It's the best stacked deck routine I've seen!
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
I think Learned Pig have a Si Stebbins book.
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Published in 1898....can you still buy it today?
I have just started playing with Si Stebbin's card stack... I have also seen Gene Anderson's wonderful routine with the stack.
I want something unique though as we belong to the same magic ring and live in the same town.
I also want to have a comedic approach.
Vinnie Anderson
View Profile
New user
atlanta
84 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Anderson
I like the Si Stebbins setup and wish there were more tricks utilized. There are a few good ones in encyclopedia, and some others, but I'd like a book on the Si Stebbins setup.

vinnie
Smile Smile
Faroshuffle
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA (Orangevale)
69 Posts

Profile of Faroshuffle
Am I to understand that the original Stebbins book is in the Dover line? Smile
Koenraad
View Profile
New user
Europe
59 Posts

Profile of Koenraad
I'm interested in the book called Si Stebbins Card Tricks And The Way He Performs Them, first published in 1898. Since the copyright of the book is long time expired, I wonder if there is a PDF of the booklet available some where?

-Koenraad
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Trickshop have an immediately downloadable pdf format 'booklet' on Si Stebbins at an amazing prce of $3.95. It's here:

http://trickshop.com/stebbins.html
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1255 Posts

Profile of Medifro
I'm very interested in this myself. It would be really good if it includes principles behind the methods, like the math in Si Stebbens, the faros done ... etc. To make the student develop an understanding of the stack and its special features.

Of course, a bit a history is always great too!

~ Feras
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Casey Magic
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
177 Posts

Profile of Casey Magic
I have 10 words for you, that you will not regret.

Steve Beam
Steve Beam
Steve Beam
Steve Beam
Steeeeeeeve Beeeeeeeeam

The man is amazing with this stack and he has volumes of effects published using it, from Mentalism to very impossible card locations. You'd be hard pressed to find better and more current material than his.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I'd like to second Casey's recommendation.

For example, see Stebbin Out by Allan Slaight and Steve Beam in Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Volume 3. Simple, diabolical, and magical.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Yea, I'm going to go with Casey on this one. I've been beaten over the head with some of Steve's routines and they're phenomenal. Much worth looking up.
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Andru:
Wow...thanks for the reference to the pamphlet. If my avatar is still up, you'll recognize the picture immediately! Amazing how much stuff you can learn from stuff that's 100 years old.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I have a reprint of another early edition of this booklet.
Here is the cover
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/......over.jpg
and title page
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/......0001.jpg
It contains the same tricks, in a slightly different order, it has no photo illustrations, just line drawings. It also contains a section of Si Stebbins anecdotes.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Koenraad
View Profile
New user
Europe
59 Posts

Profile of Koenraad
Thank you Roger and Luvisi for the information!

-Koenraad
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 10:14, BarryFernelius wrote:
I'd like to second Casey's recommendation.

For example, see Stebbin Out by Allan Slaight and Steve Beam in Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Volume 3. Simple, diabolical, and magical.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

Best,
Mick

PS: Steve has two new books out. Check 'em out at: http://www.stevebeam.com
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
144 Posts

Profile of magicdano
Yes, I am a big fan of Si Stebbins method and a book devoted to it, if done up right, can be a big winner. I also agree that Steve Beam's books, especially his Semi-Automatic Card Tricks are outstanding.
I have not run across a book that is just Si Stebbins...go for it. And yes, do incluse some history.
Dano
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
144 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I am looking at my last post (typo and all), over two half years ago, when I responded positively to a potential Si Stebbins book.
Since then,I see not more info on the subject , at least not here at the Café. Too bad.
Seems like on Any card any number and OOTW are now on the market. A Si Stebbins one would sell I think.
If anybody has more info about an existing book on the topic, please PM me.
Thanks,
Dano
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Si Stebbins book? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL