The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nice idea with a candle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1522 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2006-07-06 13:14, doctorrigormorto wrote:
Hi JAlens, Phew... I am glad that my post hit home.

I figure if you've been doing this for 14 years then you know what you're talking about so I'll heed your warning. I can't find anyone around here that knows anything about fire eating anyway so I'll just stick to flash cotton and paper, and some candles. I'm trying to stop smoking and I don't need any more health risks. Thanks.
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
174 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
A lot of killer Info on here .Thanks guys . Hey Doc good to see you on here And thanks for the comment on my page ,love the baby in the jar .
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Can someone translate what this kid is saying in the video?

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I am now convinced it must be an optical illusion of some sort with proper angle set ups or something Tony and I were talking about involving a Peppery spirit Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Doc:

Thanks for a fascinating look at your niche of the Art, and thanks for passing along the warnings and info that have cost you so dearly to acquire.

[Tangential, potentially rambling anecdote follows, submitted FWIW.]

I trained as a blacksmith when younger, and while no longer horseshoeing I continue to do wrought iron work, meaning that I routinely work with steel glowing light orange in the 1900 degree F range. Zero significant injuries there from, 28 years and counting.

Last week baking bread in a 350 degree oven, I seared the end of my finger -- raising a nasty blister and leaving an unsightly gash.

I suppose if there's a point it is this: Your words of caution are wisely to be heeded, whether one is working with a fireball...or a candle flame.

Leland
doctorrigormorto
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
284 Posts

Profile of doctorrigormorto
Thank you Leland,

Stunt Gel goes on like vaseline... I think that the public would know whats up. LOL
http://www.diablomanor.com
http://www.theparanormalshow.net
http://www.carnivaldiablo.com

Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

Albert Einstein
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I AM SICK of thinking for you people...

all you gotta do is CHOP SOMEONES ELSES HAND OFF, and stuff it in your sleeve...then when your ready to "burn your hand", you simply SWITCH HANDS....

geeezzzzzzz....

:) Smile
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Now, why didn't any one else think of that? Smile
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
..not everyone can be a mad man genius like Us Naljorpa...

also, Us mage are known to be a bit lazy sometimes...if someone asks for a hand...well, just throw it at 'em Smile

HA.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Holographic flames. It's an optical illusion.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Why would you want to do this? Its not even a very good effect, what would you be trying to prove? And who would you be trying to prove it to? don't take this as a personal attack. Im just posting what I think, and I don't think the effect would ever be worth the risk.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
881 Posts

Profile of David Parr
A scene in the movie Taxi Driver shows Robert DeNiro holding his hand over a gas flame as the camera tracks in a semi-circle. It really looks as if he's holding his hand just above the fire. Gene Siskel asked DeNiro how it was done, and DeNiro said it was just an illusion of perspective. His hand was some distance behind the flame. (In film this is called "foreshortening"). The camera move really sells the illusion. But there's no magic chemical that will enable one to do this in real life. Heed the sensible advice that has been given here. No magic effect is worth the possibility of permanent injury.
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
I saw a stage performance in which an actor (Leonard Nimoy, as it happens) placed his hand over a candle flame and held it there for 10-20 seconds. I've always been curious how they managed it-- the lights dimmed as he placed his hand over the flame, leaving it spotlighted, which I assume was not simply for theatrical enhancement but related to the method. It's fascinating to learn that this was not accomplished with some sort of protective substance on his hand.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Very interesting, indeed. In the 1980's there was a chemical which could be used on gloves to make them flame we sold in our magic shop. I never touched the stuff because it was a chemical and the skin is one of the best means of "drug delivery" to your system. (Think "nicotine patch" and you will realize I am telling the truth.)

There was a guy in our magic shop, a teen who breathed fire using white gasoline because Everclear was too expensive. He did not heed warnings and thought himself to be fire proof, bullet proof and immortal. I saw him set his hair on fire at a disco, a girl's hair on fire on a dance floor, and his chin on fire when blowing a fireball. He liked to throw flash paper around in the dark on crowded dance floors and set his date's hair on fire on more than one occasion.

Today, this former teenage fire eater is an old man way before his time. Last time I saw him he was totally blind and his teeth were crumbling away from holding torches in his teeth. He agrees with me now, but it is way too late.

I also always heard about Cold Fire. Some people swear it exists, but from everything I know it does not. The candle in the video must be some sort of trick. From the physical gestures and body language in the video I feel this is an inspirational exercise that deals with mind over matter. (Sort of like the people who learn to believe in themselves by walking over hot coals or broken glass.)

It is great to believe in yourself, but the candle can do serious damage before you realize it. And you are damaging your HAND! And what do you use to do magic...

Ok.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I hope those who are tempted to play with fire take all this advice to heart. I am afraid, however, that there are those who do believe they are immortal and immune to the dangers. Please, please listen to what more experienced performers have to tell you. They are not trying to keep "secrets" to themselves, and they are not just trying to lord it over you. They have your best interests in mind!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 15:59, Bill Ligon wrote:
I hope those who are tempted to play with fire take all this advice to heart. I am afraid, however, that there are those who do believe they are immortal and immune to the dangers. Please, please listen to what more experienced performers have to tell you. They are not trying to keep "secrets" to themselves, and they are not just trying to lord it over you. They have your best interests in mind!

Bill speaks the truth. I lost my eyebrows and lashes and more in a flashpot goof during rehearsals. (I also had to cut bangs for a while until the burned hair in front grew out.)

I was also injured ONSTAGE in Dalhalla, Sweden when an experienced stagehand set off a flashpot too early. Flaming pieces of magnesium (?) adhered to and burned my cheek during the finale'. (Ice, Aloe vera, vitamin e, and good dermatologists are true blessings.) I do not use flashpots anymore.

I promise you...we have no special secrets regarding fire.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Sorry, I have been away making a name for myself in Canada. Those in Toronto may have seen me on the news this past Tuesday (I walked by a reporter as she was filiming a story about the new Pirates movie). I also caused the CN Tower to bend by touching it at it's base I do have photos from the base looking up at the bend and from the top looking down (instead of spoons I bend buildings and minds).

Bill: The loss of feeling in my left hand did not affect my sleight of hand too much, but I also have spine damage and have lost the feeling and some of the function of the last 3 fingers of the left hand, I lose breaks rather easily and have problems typing.

Last month Vlad Deich (founder of Gothic Magic) introduced me to a rather special "thing" that would allow you to told your unprotected hand over a flickering candle for as long as you wish. Contact me via PM if you are interested in using this. There are a world of possibilities in this find.

Doctor Spector, what we discussed would allow you to place your hand into a roaring fire for as long as you wished, but I'm not ready to release that concept publicly yet.

Tony
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
With all this talk of bending, and due to several requests, I posted one of the photo's of my bending the CN Tower in Canada last July on my blog.

http://psychiclife.blogspot.com/

Tony
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
After seeing Buddhist monks raise their body temperatures to 103 degrees while sitting naked in a cave at 11 degrees below zero in the himilayas, I believe the human body can accomplish things we have not yet discovered without a gimmick or trickery. At one time the sheer idea of a human body being able to run a 26 mile marathon followed by a five mile swim, followed by a 50 mile bike race seemed like science fiction.But triathalons are real.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I believe so, too, Egregor.

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Nice idea with a candle (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL