The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Police Rant » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 17:03, Marvello wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 15:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Police officers work for civilians, not vice versa...

The next time you are pulled over be sure to remind the officer of the fact that you are a taxpayer and that you pay his salary. I am sure they will have something interesting to say about that.

I'm reminded of a line that was cut from an episode of "Star Trek." The episode in question, "The Trouble With Tribbles" had a petty beaurocrat (sp) hasseling Kirk about his security arrangements. In the cut scene, the man glares at Kirk and says; "I'm a civilan. I pay your salary!"

Kirk responds; "I want a raise."
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 00:14, RandyStewart wrote:
And no, I'm not afraid of the night as I love the night life

Yes Randy, but do you like to boogie? Smile

Lyndel
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 06:28, mandrake01 wrote:

Whenever I hear "if we all carried guns, we'd all be more respectful," I'm reminded of a news story (I don't know details, I'm sorry if that ruins the validity of the story for you, but it's still true.).

Man gets approached and threatened. He pulls gun and scares bad man away. Happy ending? Not quite.

Man then fires gun at fleeing suspect across an active street. (I don't know how busy this street was, but the news story did say "active.") He gets arrested by the police for discharging a weapon in public and can't understand why he can't claim "self-defense" for firing at a person that was running away from him!

It's not all a liberal conspiracy folks, there really are people out there who are too stupid to be trusted with a gun!

I, myself, am "reminded" of the following story:

Richmond, Virginia

From the July 7, 2006 Richmond Times-Dispatch:
A Danville man was shot and killed after he and three others forced their way into a city residence, police said yesterday.

Deshawn Shakor Hardman, 19, died Wednesday at Danville Regional Medical Center after being found shot near the doorway of a North Avenue home, according to a statement from the police.

When police were called to the house in the 100 block of North Avenue about 10 p.m. Wednesday, officers found Hardman lying wounded near the doorway. A resident, whom authorities did not identify, told police that four men with firearms had forced open his front door and started to enter the house. The resident said he fired several shots at the intruders, striking at least Hardman, according to the police statement.

THere's a happy ending for you; certainly compared to the one where the four armed intruders break into an UNarmed resident's house. OK, but it didn't REMIND me of of that story; I decided about 2 minutes ago to go looking for a similar (gun used legally and successfully) story online. "Yeah, but how far back did he have to go?" Well, actually, that's YESTERDAY'S Times-Dispatch.

It's not a conservative conspiracy, folks.

"...one less arrrrrrrrmed robber in the world..."
(sung to the tune of Air Supply's "Two Less Lonely People")
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I guess the young house burglar learned the meaning of Charlie Daniel's "Simple Man" tune:

Now, I'm the kind of man that wouldn't harm a mouse
But if I catch somebody breakin' in my house
I've got a twelve gauge shotgun waitin' on the other side
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 17:29, RandyStewart wrote:
I guess the young house burglar learned the meaning of Charlie Daniel's "Simple Man" tune:

Now, I'm the kind of man that wouldn't harm a mouse
But if I catch somebody breakin' in my house
I've got a twelve gauge shotgun waitin' on the other side

Then there was the kid who knocked on a door for directions and got shot through the door by a panic-struck home owner.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2435 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
I need to clarify - do you mean that the officer pulled the person over for an imaginary offense or that DWB is an imaginary offense? I am not sure what you meant.

Both - of course a black person can drive a car legally - but he's taking a chance on being stopped for some trumped-up reason if he's driving where the officer thinks he oughtn't to be.

I just can't figure out how that can still happen in my county, where latinos and blacks are, together, a good 1/3 to 1/2 the population, and in an area that prides itself on multiculturalism.

Then again, when I had a "police ride-along" in 1969, the first thing I learned was that the cops have very strong instincts as to what "just doesn't look right" and they're often right - and they have plenty of inside information on some bad stuff that's going on, but not enough evidence to do anything about it ... yet.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24256 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I love this "I have a right to be anywhere I want as long as I'm in a public place" types of responses, as do the police. Actually, in some areas, you don't have an unconditional right to be driving around late at night. Legally, you might, but in areas with high gang activity and vehicular crime, especially residential areas, you will be pulled over and you will be questioned.

It's perfectly legal for you to drive through my neighborhood at 3 A.M., but if you do, the police will pull you over. If you refuse to allow them to search your car, they may take you in for questioning. They are looking for taggers, burglars and armed robbers. They have caught several.

Crime in our area has risen markedly since the Katrina refugees moved in on our town. Most of them were decent folks, but the criminals brought their turf wars with them, and have been trying to settle them here. It's not working.

So, the advice you have been given to actually ask the police why they are apparently singling you and your friends out is very good. If you know what it is that is triggering their responses, you can refrain from doing whatever it is.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Police Rant » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL