The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » No Props Mentalism? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
hi

any suggestions for effects with ZERO props. PK touches comes to mind.

I don't care if there is a secret gimmick only that the audience thinks that there are no props.

This question becomes especially difficult when you narrow the field further to close-up mentalism.
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi Steven,

The first answer that comes to mind, particularly in close-up situations, is a READING, preferably based on some system (palmistry or numerology are quite propless).

For the subject, this is as pure mentalism as can be.

Best regards,
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
gavilondo
View Profile
New user
Spain
14 Posts

Profile of gavilondo
And, of course, a two-person second sight act, followed by a version of Q&A in the style of Dynamite Mentalism.
Gavilondo
---
Ars longa, vita brevis.
Ars longa, vita brevis.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Psychological forces have their uses and can be propless. For the best, see Banachek's book on the subject.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
Dont forget contact mindreading...
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
264 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
Any variation of a business card as a billet, prediction of a selected item from many via equevoke.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Some excellent suggestions above.

I second 'tiptophat's suggestion of a prediction effect involving the equivoque of 1 choice from several. For impromptu situations it's hard to beat. However, it also lends itself to many different presentational stances. It doesn't have to be a prediction. For example, in keeping with the fad for faux-psychology explanations, you could simply have made a 'psychological estimate' based on the chooser's 'psychological profile'. Everyone has heard of 'psychological profiling', if only from news reports whenever some nutcase is on the loose. But not many people have 'seen it in action'. And so on and so forth... it's all pasta, but there are lots of shapes and sauces.

Simple demonstrations of 'muscle reading' also work very well, if you're the kind of performer who can get them to work well. Example: line up five objects. Have spec mentally choose one. Have her hold your hand as you move it along the row, but tell her not to give you any clues. Then tell her which one she's thinking of. I can't get this to work very well, but some performers can and Drew McAdam, for one, gets very spooky results with it!

It's perhaps worth bearing in mind that muggles don't (necessarily) see the same distinctions we do between different kinds of work. For example, you could try demonstrating some of the simple induction tests used by stage hypnotists (the hand clasp, the stiff arm, the extended forefingers that move together etc.) but present them with a more 'mental / psychological' flavour, perhaps as simple instances of 'mind control' or 'mind rapport'. To you and I, it may feel like mixing chalk and cheese, mentalism and hypnosis, but muggles won't necessarily feel that way about it.

For some denizens of the dark deceptive arts, impromptu has to mean 'no preparedness whatsoever, but always do-able'. For others, it mean 'preparation that you have always done, so you're always ready'. For many years I always made sure I had the 'necessary' with me to be able to demonstrate coin bending at Martini moments (any time, any place anywhere). It's up to you and what you're happy thinking of as 'impromptu'.

If you can find three cups, or three covers of any description, and one target object to hide under one of them, then you are all set for Al Koran's classic 'Three cups' divination from 'Professional Presentations'. And from there it's but a skip and a jump to Rick Maue's 'Terasabos' routine from his 'Book of Haunted Magick', which is to the 'three cups' what the Space Shuttle is to a Model T Ford. (And the Book of Haunted Magick is a great book anyway, well worth having).

If you can find anything to write on, then of course there are virtually no limits and you could entertain people for an hour. But perhaps 'pen and paper' contravene your 'no props' constraint.

There's also Mac King's book, 'Tricks with your head'. Not many of them would seemingly fit in with a 'mentalist' image, but it IS the best book ever (the only book ever?) on entertaining things you can do with your own head!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
I would suggest "Number . . . Please?" from Richard Busch which has several nice effects involving no props. For some of the effects the spectator just needs something to write on. One of my favorites!
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
I would suggests Banachecks Psychological subtelties, a few cold reading books like Full facts; this is wicked. Maybe a few effects using suggestion if you are in the know how on that
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2273 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Sign Language is excellent for this, of course, as are various "body magic" things (pulse stopping, "Georgia Magnet" stuff, etc.)

... Doug
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
Thank you all for the great responses
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Al fresco, on the right day, it's hard to beat a bit of pk 'Cloud busting'.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
scottr
View Profile
New user
Michigan
69 Posts

Profile of scottr
Stephen,

Max Maven has a wonderful effect on his Videomind Vol. #2 called, "Positive Negative" that has long been my favorite impromptu mentalism effect.

For those of you that know the effect, I've had great success with a little different wording for the prediction.

Another fellow suggested it, and if I remember correctly, I think he said it was an idea of Kenton's

I've performed this effect without having to even write a prediction by simply whispering the prediction in the ear of someone seated at the table.

Scott
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
Ted Karmilovich lectured on THE NO-PROP NIGHTCLUB ACT at the PEA's convention last year. His lecture and notes included a 20-45 minute act involving guessing astrology signs, sending thoughts, and answering SPECIFIC, DETAILED questions thought of by the audience. All with NO props.

Dave
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi ESPGUY,

"sending thoughts and answering SPECIFIC, DETAILED questions thought of by the audience. All with NO props."

What a show that must have been!
I can't find anything by TK on the web. Does he have material available to none PEA members?
Does anybody have any references or sources for this type of no props material? Books? Vids?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Teejay
Smile
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
909 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Hey, ESP GUY,

That's a little unfair, don't you think? Teasing us with information about an event that we can't see, and lecture notes we can't get, about things we can't do, and so on...

No wonder mentalists are thought to be elitist!

Now, I have the perfect impromptu effect that can be done anywhere, anytime, in any clothing, for any audience (provided they speak a language that I speak), in any lighting, with borrowed objects (if need be), and has a money back guarantee that it will work so well your audiences will believe that you are the second coming, or the devil himself (herself?), depending on how you play it. It involves direct mindreading that uses no forces, and really plucks a thought out of a spectator's mind without guiding them to the thought, or any pre-show work of any kind, by you or anyone else. But you have to be a member of my personal club to get it, the price is outrageous, and I'm not letting any new members in for a while...sucks, huh? <grinning>

Uh, hope you all caught the slightly-veiled sarcasm there! Smile
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Sorry, but the literature of mentalism is scattered with ways of guessing astrology signs, sending thoughts, and answering SPECIFIC, DETAILED questions thought of by the audience. All with NO props.

Perhaps the construction of the act itself is original to Ted but not the effects themselves. Altough I did heard that he has his own way of zodiac sign guessing which is quite original...

Yaniv Deautsch
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
909 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Copied for explanation purposes:

To confirm: props are things that are seen, and possibly remembered (like clipboards, ziplok baggies, etc.) and gimmicks are things that are never seen (like things I cannot mention here).

Propless mentalism, then, uses techniques that may OR MAY NOT use gimmicks to achieve the goal, but no props. The idea of using your business card (or theirs), or your wallet, or your pen/pencil, is only considered to be using props by the real elitist core, who want to use absolutely nothing (mindreading in the nude...Knepper and Cassidy...eek! )

But it can be done, and done well.
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
Quote:
On 2003-03-04 14:00, espmagic.com wrote:
Hey, ESP GUY,

That's a little unfair, don't you think? Teasing us with information about an event that we can't see, and lecture notes we can't get, about things we can't do, and so on...

But you WILL be able to. I understand it's all included in his upcoming book, due date unknown.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1926 Posts

Profile of Lior
Ted's ideas are great.
The way he does the Zodiac is wonderful.
I use it all the time.
(Well, I saw the lecture, bought the notes
and he is my friend.)

Lior 1 A all the way
New shop: 1A magic
You can buy the selfie card trick.
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » No Props Mentalism? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL