We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Georgia Wonder Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Any Reccomendations as to which one to buy. that shows/teaches you how its done. I'll like to put this in my Act. D,
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
The Georgia Wonder - Barry H. Wiley

"

The most complete treatise on the Magnetic Girl Act ever produced.
414 pages of the real secrets and history of a unique and astonishing act
Fourteen-year-old Lulu Hurst liked to play practical jokes, but when one of them got out of hand Lulu suddenly found herself proclaimed "The Wonder of the Nineteenth Century." Lulu Hurst: The Georgia Magnet! Her act consisted of a number of tests in which she seemed to exude a mysterious force that made her more than a match for men much larger and stronger than herself. Her "Power" gave her a supernatural strength without her showing the least muscular effort. She was able to withstand the pushing of several men without budging or seeming to exert any appreciable counter force—and with one foot raised off the floor. With one hand she pushed renowned athletes around the stage and into the scenery. And she lifted a chair with three large men piled onto it six inches off the ground. All this she accomplished without hidden devices, using just the few ungimmicked props in plain sight—a pool cue or cane, a chair, an umbrella—and a handful of remarkable secrets.

Lulu Hurst's act was one of the most unusual, original and mysterious show-business phenomena of the 1800s. When only fifteen, she hit the road for two sensational years. Playing the biggest theaters in the country, from coast to coast, drawing full houses, she quickly amassed a substantial fortune. Then, after two years of touring to tremendous success, and with the theater doors of England and Europe swinging wide to welcome her, Lulu Hurst, at the age of sixteen, abruptly and mysteriously retired from the stage.

The Georgia Wonder gives an in-depth account of Lulu Hurst's brief and amazing career. The centerpiece of The Georgia Wonder is Lulu Hurst's own 1897 autobiography. With this book Miss Hurst astonished America a second time. Her autobiography is in part a transparently glamorized puff piece for her and her act. But what astonished its readers was Lulu's own forthright exposure of the secrets behind her tests. She explained not only the hidden principles behind her feats, but also the requisite presentation and psychology.

Barry H. Wiley's deep knowledge of the period and the history of spiritualist mediums adds further insight, occasionally debunking Hurst when she embellishes her truly amazing career with a few details that are larger than fact. To Hurst's self-exposé Wiley has compiled newspaper reports, a revealing scientific evaluation and the most comprehensive explanation of Magnetic Girl feats ever assembled.

As Paul Daniels recently proved on his television show, the Hurst act is as amazing and entertaining to modern audiences as it was to those of the past. Barry H. Wiley adds valuable historical corrections and information to complete the chronicle of Lulu Hurst's remarkable story and the secrets of an extraordinary act that remains so to this day.

"

Is this what you are looking for?
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I beleive that is the one I will need. theres 4 books out but I want to get the most accurate/truthful one on how it was done. D,
trickiewillie
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
121 Posts

Profile of trickiewillie
Wiley's book is great to read, but be aware that it is not a magic book the way we usually think of them. That is, it does NOT have a collection of tricks that are described and explained.

More than half of the book is the reprint of Lulu Hurst's autobiography in which she discussed her life and "explained" how she did her stuff. But some people have questioned whether she has embellished the story and not truly and completely explained her methods.

The book also contains several articles from magazines from the late 1880s to the 1930s that offered second-party explanations. But these are explanations, not "how to do it" articles.

You can learn the mechanics and some of the physics behind several of her stunts from the material, but don't expect a "teaching" book that you can read and then put some items into your act.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Wiley's book is the most complete compendium of all the manuscripts and pamphlets, articles, etc., regarding the Hurst effects as performed by her and others. This one would be your first buy, I'd think.

Most of the effects probably can't be performed in this day and age...injured spectators sue instead of grouse and heal. However, there are many stunts described that you certainly can do and can put into your act. They're all in Wiley's book.

Two other manuscripts might be of interest to you. They describe the impossible lift stunt: Lights! Camera! Magic! by Dick and Virginia Williams, and The New Georgia Magnet Act. This one is relatively safe, fun and easy to add to your act.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Tom Jorgenson Sir any ideal. where the last two mentioned books can be purchased from. D,
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Try H&R magic books, they stock everything. If not, I have mine at $20 postpaid. Do Wiley's first, tho, unless you specifically want the No-Lift stunt and other ideas.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I do prefer the no lift idea. what other stunts are there.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
In mine, there's ideas on using contemporary effects under the aegis of the Georgia Magnet premise. In the Williams book, this one is a description and listing of all the effects they both used in their long-running TV series. It includes GM stunts. This one is on EBay occasionally. Well worth getting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Georgia Wonder Books (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL