The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So why do you love magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Okay, fellow Magic Café members: So why do you love magic?

Dai Bato
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Why not?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
I always try and figure out the answer to this question. I haven't the slightest idea. I guess it's just fun.

James
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Why do I love magic?

• It makes kids laugh, and expands thier imagination and dreams.
  • It resolves the high need for attention.
  • It's a way of being an actor, or celebrity with a pay check.
  • It is a way to have fun and make money too!
  • It can help others make money (Fundraisers)
  • It makes others happy, especially very sick children.
  • It has been known to change a frown into a smile.
  • It's mysterious as well as amazing.
  • It satifieds that need for socialization within one's personality
  • It beats the crap out of drinking, smoking, and gambling!
  • It's an art form, like no other, with the largest number of published books than any other feild.
  • In an age where morality is declining, low self-esteem is on the up-rise, Magic is still clean, wholesome and entertaining.
  • It is a teaching tool for religion, people needing dexterity physical training to damaged hands and muscles.
  • It keeps me young and alive, as well active in the community

Just a few quick thoughts.
Dennis
Dennis Michael
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Magic allows me to live my childhood dream of becoming a benevolent super hero through the eyes of a child. Instead of flying, I teach small silver spheres...or the children themselves...to float. In place of super strength, my hands transform one thing into another...or nothing at all. Super vision becomes my ability to read minds and divine results. And I have the unique power of transforming a sullen moment into a laughter-rich memory. By day, I'm meek and mild Clark Citizen, going about my day as any other. But when the call is heard, I don't need a phone booth to become a modest hero and wonder in the eyes of a child...or willing adult. As a magician, I am more powerful than a speeding imagination. I can leap tall impossibilities with a single wave. I'm faster than the fleetest eye. When I perform... two dreams come true. The child's and mine. What's not to love?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
For me, it's a great way to fool people and then yell, "Ha! Take THAT! SUCKER!!!"

And then I poke them with a stick.

Man... I love magic!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I never grew up...It fits in perfectly... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
In my case, I have to confess, it has much to do with curiosity to know "how it works"...once I know ( whether I discover myself the methods or - more often ! - have to read or see explanations ), it's a challenge to me to do it myself.
Of course, I am happy when people enjoy my modest 'performances'.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I don't know DaiBato, at times, it seems to love me more than I love it. Experts agree it is not a terminal condition but there is NO cure. A very few of the symptoms include ceaseless practice, brainstorming, consultation with those who've been afflicted for years, and this, posting at The Café.

There will be no peace nor relief. There is only practice, practice, practice....
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 08:32, Reis O'Brien wrote:
For me, it's a great way to fool people and then yell, "Ha! Take THAT! SUCKER!!!"

Man... I love magic!

I don't know if you're joking, Reis, but if not, this is a problem we magicians have with the public: they're afraid of us embarrassing them on stage and/or being condescending to those not 'in the know'.

I hope you're kidding.

Dai Bato
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 15:09, DaiBato wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 08:32, Reis O'Brien wrote:

Man... I love magic!

I don't know if you're joking, Reis, but if not, this is a problem we magicians have with the public: they're afraid of us embarrassing them on stage and/or being condescending to those not 'in the know'.

I hope you're kidding.

Dai Bato

Oh good grief.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
All right, I apologize. I need to lighten up.

Dai is my birth name, so there was no choice on that one.

Dai Bato
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
The main reason I enjoy magic is that I am fascinated by how the brain - as far as we know, the most powerful physical supercomputer in the universe - can misinterpret reality.

We tend to fully trust our perceptions when what we see in front of us seems clear and unambiguous. When we realise that we are mistaken, the resulting emotional reaction of surprise and wonder (whether pleasurable or disturbing) provides a memorable experience with a unique charm.

This same experience is provided whenever the mind is truely tricked by the senses (e.g. by paper-based optical illusions, desert mirages etc). I think there is a distinction between this and the kind of "deception" which occurs due to a conscious suspension of disbelief (e.g. roller-coaster simulators, theatrical plays, role-playing games etc).

The very concept of "fully-convincing illusion" - of something appearing (without doubt) to be other than what it actually is - is at the heart of why magic is appealing to me.

As magicians, we deliberately rely on people making assumptions about things for which they have no hard evidence, and mis-represnting to themselves what they think they see. This is part of what makes it fun to perform (and experience) magic. However, in everyday life, certain people have a tendancy to jump quickly to conclusions on weightier matters, before carefully collecting and analysing the available information (which is a trait I happen to dislike intensely). In the former case, we have entertainment. In the latter, we typically end up with personal failure.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I love magic because of all of the female groupies that wanna go back to my hotel with me after the show. Smile

Seriously - I love magic because of the joy it brings to me and my audiences.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I love the groupies, too! I have hundreds! It just sucks that they're all under 6.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
I love magic because of the reactions people have after a trick. Kids' reactions: their eyes light up and they just love it. Adult's reactions: they have that puzzled look, and if not, they freak out (depending on the trick). I also love magic because of all the other reasons Dennis Michael gave us a few posts back.

Chrix
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So why do you love magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL