The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountain w/load tube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I just got a new silk fountain. There are 15 18" silks and one 24" silk. It came with a plastic tube and no instructions.

I tried it out w/ the T**P F**d, as taught by Duane Laflin, and others. That worked out O.K. and I can use it that way.

I would like to know what the tube is used for. Please PM me if you know it's use.
Is it covered in Rice?

Thnx,
Bruce
P.S. Please no suggestions as to where you can insert it.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I've got a twenty-something year old silk fountain that came with a tube, too. Unfortunately, I've lost the instructions that came with it. It came with sp***g flowers,as a finale. The tube is an aide to setting up, with the silks being pushed down inside somehow as you went along. Darn it all if I can remember how to do it, though. When the set up was done, you slid the whole works out of the tube and it looked like a fat sausage of silks.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Thanks, CJRichard.
I tried just pusing the center of the silks down into the tube and out the other end. I did not like the way it opend.

It's from Tannen's and does have spring flowers.

Anyone else?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Fccfp, I think mine was from Tannen's, too. I recall a double fold, corners in to center, then the four "new" corners in to center. Then push it down. Repeat. It opened nicely. I'll have to root around in some old folders to find out where I put all my old instruction sheets.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you just purchased it from Tannen's, give them a call and ask them to either mail you instructions or provide help over the phone. There's no excuse not to get some kind of instructions with a purchase like that (unless somebody just messed up).

BTW If anyone has a problem with any of my products, they should always feel free to e-mail me and get it straightened out. That's part of the business end of being a magic dealer.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
CJRichard I think you are describing the trap-fold that is used for silk fountains. This does not require a tube, just patience. Smile

Spellbinder, I could not agree with you more. I bought this from someone on the Café' and they tried to get instructions from Tannens with no success. Ever since Tony Spina sold the place and retired Tannen's has not been the same. I understand that people said the same thing when Irv Tannen finally retired as well. Either way, they moved to a new location and just don't have the same aura. I have been thru a few moves w/ Tannen's. I remeber when they had the mid-town store before moving downtown. I had an office just a few blocks away and would hang out with John Blake and the others on the occasional lunch hour. I learned to improve my three shell manipulation watching John work the marks.

Sorry, I have to wipe a tear from my eye.....
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe the tube is to lay the silks on top of and fold the silks, then when they are all in the tube push them out the other end. Yes, you may not need the tube, but it permits easier handling and is another way of doing it.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Thanks, wmhegbli. Is this covered in Rice or Tarbell to your knowledge?

Thnx,
B
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 00:33, wmhegbli wrote:
I believe the tube is to lay the silks on top of and fold the silks, then when they are all in the tube push them out the other end. Yes, you may not need the tube, but it permits easier handling and is another way of doing it.

This is EXACTLY what it's for. Peter White taught me this several years ago with a "loose" silk fountain, if that's the correct term.

While sitting, place the tube between your knees and lay the silks on top. After you fold each silk (corners to middle, new corners to middle, etc.), you push it down into the tube just enough for it to hold. After the second to last silk is folded, use a wand to push the bundle thru the tube and out the other side. As CJRichard put it, you'll have a "fat sausage of silks." The last silk is twisted at the top and placed in a bulldog clip or similar.

The tube is great when working with the spring flowers because the tube holds them as you fold!
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Michael is correct. This is covered on Pete White's silk videos. Great material that gives you a lot of food for thought.

richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountain w/load tube (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL