The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Performed my favorite coin bend last night... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MixEddie
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of MixEddie
I've checked out ALOT of coin bending utility items and after last night I'm sold... YOU DON"T NEED THEM. I was asked last night to do some magic and all I had in my pocket was a pre bent quarter that I had drawn sunglasses on with a sharpie. I borrowed a quarter and with some patter made it seem as if my friends had come up with the sunglasses idea. In the midst of setting the pen down then giving it to someone to hold I switched out the coins and started a Geller or Spelmann type coin bend. I can't imagine any better reactions. I just can't. How many different ways do you need (and how much money do you need to spend) to get to the same end result?

I guess it depends on style or comfort or whatever... I've found my tried and true though.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
I think the key here is how you steered the conversation to make them believe the sunglasses were their idea. If you have that sort of control during a presentation, you can't lose.
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
It isn't really how many different ways we need, it's the quality of the gimmick and the effect it presents. Some people find it necesary to pay the extra price to get something good. Personaly, I prefer to use something effective but cheap. It always depends on the person. Some people like using switches and others like using gimmicks in order to bend coins.

Anyway, the way you seem to have presented the coin bend is pretty good. I like it.

Chrix
alakazam!
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of alakazam!
MixEddie, I've had pretty much the same experience as you and couldn't agree more! For people in the UK, in his book "Pure Effect" Derren Brown has a nice method of being able to guess the date of a spectator's 10p coin, and if you use a bent coin with the same date I usually find this is enough of a convincer.
AmazingKeithy
View Profile
New user
Round Rock, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of AmazingKeithy
I don't disagree with anything that has been said. I'm still partial to Niel Tobin's Xpert, however.

Thanks,
Keith Mitchell
Sandwichical
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
134 Posts

Profile of Sandwichical
Be wary of the type of quarter. Those state quarters can mess you up. I think that's why some may prefer an actual bending gimick.
-Sandwich
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.
MixEddie
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of MixEddie
Good point. I think the government made those new state quarters as a way to flip the bird to magicians. The man is against us. Smile I get by the type of quarter problem by asking for change and pretending to take a coin while finger palming the one I intend to use. I never ask for a quarter anymore. The Xpert is a great idea. It's one of those..."why didn't I think of that" ideas.

I guess I should read the Derren Brown book again. I got really annoyed that there wasn't a "YOU MUST HAVE HUGE HANDS TO PERFORM THESE EFFECTS" warning on the book. I can't do half that stuff. I don't have pygmy hands either. Oh well. I'll check that date idea.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Derren's date idea used to work fairly reliably. Not any more...

IIRC there was a whole LOAD of 10p pieces issued in 1992 and then not many more...until recently, which renders the trick much riskier.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Consider the Quantum Bender 2.0, & all the problems are solved! Why switch the coin WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO!!! I hope this helps.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
151 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
As always, choose your audience well when working. I do lots of adult walkaround shows and used to use the dodge of palming an already bent quarter, then doing the routine. I also do lots of routines for teenagers. That method does not work well for them... as they always know exactly how much change they have in their pockets. Hum... in fact *I* usually know exactly how much change I have, and the kids I work for often have far more money than I do!

I have seen this effect when using the Kennedy paddle trick with the different colored shapes. Adults always buy the premise. I have never had an adult say "hey look! They all changed!"... but that was a regular event with young kids. So, save your money and buy a Quantum Bender. (Dang, I am going to have to squeeze a commission out of JTSheets for all these posts on the QB!)
Bob LaRue
Omnibozoologist
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Excellent!
I always have a pre-bent coin in my coin pouch too Smile
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I also use prebent coins for this kind of routines.
why spend a lot of money on a bending tool when you can pull it off so visual?

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
I have the bending tool, but still prefer to use pre-bent coins! It's just so much cleaner without having to ditch the tool, and gets practically the same reaction.
Magic in the Shadows
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Right on Shots ! in the end it is the fabulous reactions we are seeking.
so prebent coins have a tri-facto to them: 1.much cheaper because you don't have to purchase the tool 2. in my oppinion!-same visual aspect 3. same reactions

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
alakazam!
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of alakazam!
Ross,

Hmm yes I did think exactly this too with regards to the date of the coin. Asking for an "older" coin ("because the metal is slightly different and has unusual properties" or whatever) could be an idea. It does work if the spectator has lots of loose change, and they give you a newer coin I guess you could always do another effect at the worst. Unless there are any neater ideas for this...?
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Well if they give you a new state quarter, fake transfer it, place the fist with the "coin" over their hand, say something to the effect of "These new quarters will not work because they're flimsier," show it gone, remark, "See it disintegrated already! Now do you happen to have an older quarter?" Problem solved?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Performed my favorite coin bend last night... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL