We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Colon Mi. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Well I have no affiliation with either. Like I said Fab brought me into town and I wound up giving more money to Abbott's. Some of the more interesting speakers I heard, had no intention of attending the Get Together. Even with all of the events, there was too much down time for me. My interest is primarily in close-up. I don't think the scale of the Abbott's events were conducive to the true meaning of that genre. With more events and more speakers involved, I think they could gain intimacy while still serving many.

Richard, Do you think that Curley's shouldn't have a competition and not allow table hopping? Does that piggybacking detract from the main event? I would think that if Abbott's creates quality merchandise and puts on great events, any additional magicians in town would be beneficial.

As far as being confusing. Who was confused? Abbott's had a schedule and FAB had a schedule. To me it sounds like a nonexistent problem.

I stand by my original comment. FAB was beneficial to Abbott's. As was the tent village by the high school.

I didn't notice anything competitive. But if the event gets a greater attendance, any competition would result in better quality events and merchandise for the consumers.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Richard what is your affiliation with Abbotts? I just did a search of your user name and the word Abbotts and 6 pages of posts came up.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do not work for Abbott's druing the year. I started going to get togethers many years ago. I have been part of the stage crew for over 20 years and I did an act this year. I don't know what your point is and I am not going to argue about this. In fact, Abbott's is probably the only competion I have in the feather flower business but we are up front with each other. Abbott's does make some props that I consider the best in the business and I use that is probably what most of the posts are about. You will also find posts by me for Bill Smith, Wellington, Owens and others. That is what this business is about.

Yes, Colon does have a lot of charm and the get together has a lot of down time but that is so the people that go there year after year have time to visit with their friends. No it is not a great closeup situation but it is part of the total package.

Sure Curly's can run a competion but when is it? It is not during the day when other things are scheduled but at night when people are looking for a place to hangout and do magic. To me, that is a perfect fit not competing.

Again, I have no ill will against FAB or Rick, but I stand by my remarks.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
468 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
To All: Thanks for the nice comments. Richard I understand your allegiance to Abbott's and only wish them the best of luck. You have your opinion and we have ours ..that is what makes free enterprise great. I thank each and everyone of you that came by our shop and shows along with the free events this year. We enjoyed a record year in attendance and sales and without you, the customer, we couldn't have done it. Our goal is to help enhance magic week...if more folks show up ...well it's pretty easy to figure out. More folks = more money spent in town at the gas station,laundromat,restaurants, Abbotts and FAB. Everyone wins. Period. We are already planning for next year and acts are already being booked and boy do we have some surprises for you! Stay tuned - we're just gettin' warmed up. ...Again, a heartfelt thank you to all I met and had the honor to work with. We hope you can come again to our little town....Sincerely, Rick Fisher
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5179 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2006-08-08 11:19, Al Angello wrote:
Richard
If all there was in Colon Mi. was the Abbotts convention I would have been bored out of my gord. There is nothing there but corn, and soybean fields, no mall, no super market, not even a convience store. If you look at the big picture, without FAB, magic week would die a slow painful death, because the Abbott show room in the middle of nowhere just can't supply a week full of fun.

I think everyone would agree that the Abbott's gettogether is not what it used to be but in reality, what is nowadays. To put things into perspective for those that may never had attended a gettogether, yes Abbott's showroom is off the main street but it is not in the middle of corn and soybean fields or out in the middle of nowwhere. It's just one street off of the main street and FAB is just one block away on that street.

Abbott's has survived many years without the addition of FAB magic but that doesn't mean that FAB doesn't contribute to the overall success of Magic Week. There have been many posts on the Café expressing concern for the lack of brick and mortar magic shops and now we have complaints because there are two in one area. The large bill board at the beginning of town says "Welcome to Colon, the magic capital of the world". What better place to have multiple shops. I personally use both FAB and Abbott's and feel they both provide a service to the magic community. Instead of complaining or criticizing the fact that they both reside in Colon, we should be supporting them to promote magic and enjoy their existence.
Where the magic begins
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Bravo! I agree entirely.

Although Dave, I notice that you are very supportive of brick and mortar shops. What is you affiliation with the construction industry? Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5179 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
No affiliation whatsoever. When I visit a town, it's nice to actually see props on a shelf, talk to other magicians face to face and just feel magical. On line shops have there place and I use them as well. In New Jersey there isn't much choice since almost all of the brick and mortar shops are gone.
Where the magic begins
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I had a great time as always. Luckily I only live a short 30 minute drive from there so many of my friends from my home town came to experience the event. So I spent most of my time this year doing my favorite part of any magic gathering. just hang out with friends.

John Sturk's cups and balls routine was fabulous. He's a very entertaining performer. It's not often a cups and balls routine causes an entire bar to raise to there feet whooping and applauding and he did just that. Even I could almost hear the applaud.. Smile

Tom Kracker came in second in the Curly's contest with a funny routine using stuffed animals. You're going to have to write the script to that for me someday Tom because I couldn't hear it all. But I could see everyone laughing.

Your's truly came in third in the Curly's contest. I enjoy performing in this contest because the atmosphere is so fun.

If you ever get the chance to make it to this get together I'm sure you'll have a good time. It's always great to see old friends and make new ones.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ron
It was good meeting you. Why don't you change your avatar so it fits your outgoing personality, because you were the exact opposit of what I expected to see. I expected to meet a smooth, well dressed serious magician, and you were a jeans, and t-shirt wearing guy with a constant smile, and an equally constant sence of humor.

I really liked John Sturk's cup and ball routine, but I thought that you, and Alan Munro would be one, and two at Curly's. The judges were not magicians, and what the heck do I know. It was good to meet the man behind the avatar.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

PS- Ron as you can see I changed my avatar to better fit my personality.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John Sturk
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
120 Posts

Profile of John Sturk
I bombed last year, so I knew the judges were non-magicians, and did the C&B because it always kills for laymen (surprisingly, a lot of magicians too!). I've been doing that routine 5 times a day, 7 days a week, for the last 3 months on the streets here in Northern Michigan, so it was about as ready as it could be!

I'll definitely be at Curly's again next year...they told me I have to host the show in 2007!

-J.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-08-10 00:24, John Sturk wrote:
I'll definitely be at Curly's again next year...they told me I have to host the show in 2007!

-J.

It will be easier than when I had to hosted the show. Then, I knew who the judges were and I had to entertain the crowd, while the judges took bathroom breaks, so they don't miss any of the acts. Now, because the judges are anonymous, an act could get screwed out of a prize, because they performed while a judge was in the can. lol
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
So that's what happened. They where in the can while I was making the napkin rose float around the bar.. Smile

Why couldn't they have gone while you where performing Alan. Or when John was doing his act...Smile

Next year I'm going to put an "Out of Order" sign on the restroom doors. But only during my act.Smile

It was great seeing you again Alan.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17177 Posts

Profile of joseph
My friend and I have been going to the Saturday evening show for the past 30 years or so, and the shows have been very good.....Down side-The dealer exhibits in the elementary school have gone from 2 heat packed crowded rooms to a meager 6 or so dealers in 1 room (including Abbotts). This used to be my favorite part of the Get Together, but now is just a 10 minute visit and we are gone.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
magicmode
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of magicmode
Quote:
On 2006-08-11 20:55, Jaxon wrote:
So that's what happened. They where in the can while I was making the napkin rose float around the bar.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

Ron,

I heard your floating Napkin Rose was great. Someone told me about it because I missed the contest at Curly's. I was at the back bar in the Legion most of the time. I'd like to see your version of the floating rose sometime. Kevin James just sent me his new Floating Rose DVD - he mentions my Napkin Roses on it. I haven't watched the DVD yet but I guess he has a lot of new material on it. He said the ads would be out for it soon.

It was good seeing you again Ron. Talk to you soon.

Michael Mode
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
It was great seeing you too Michael. Thanks for the new None/nun. I get a lot of laughs with it.

What I performed with your napkin Rose was actually The Flying Silk by Christopher Brent's hook up. I was planning on performing a couple of things in my act but it was too hot and humid to wear the gimmicks to do them (one was Gut buster). So I had to think of something else to end the act with. My first though when I set the Flying silk up was to actually perform it like Kevin James' floating rose with flash paper. My plan was to make it float on stage. Make it float out into the middle of the audience then turn it into a real rose there. But I didn't have any full sized sheets of flash paper. So I pulled one or your napkin roses out. It went over great! It was a heck of a way to give it out to the girl who assisted me on my last trick.

By the way. I have an idea with your new white napkin roses. I'll send the idea to you later.

Ron Jaxon

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I thought it was hillarious that Curly's bar in downtown Colon Mi. had an assortment of napkin roses, pearl poodles, and a few star shaped rubber bands that the waitress had collected with their tips. A tell tale sign of a room full of magicians.
SOME FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Colon Mi. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL