The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Close Up Table Top (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Just thought I would share my results.

I made a VERY nice table top 36 x 24 inches. The wood is 3/4 inch Pine, pre-lamanated. (Lowes)
I glued some "headliner" foam to the board. Then stretched some Billard table Felt over that.

The headliner foam is the stuff they use in cars for the ceiling. It comes in different colors and is about 1/8 inch thick. You can get it at Hancock Fabric Store. The glue came from the same place. It is a 3M super hold type glue. Number 90 strength I think.

I got the Billard table felt from a local Billard supply store. You can, however get it online much cheaper.
(I was in a hurry) It too comes in a varity of colors.

Glue the foam, not the felt. I simply tacked the felt on (underneath) This felt is VERY dense and is very easy to work with. This foam is PERFECT, just the right amount of CUSH, when covered with billard felt it looks and feels very professional.

I will next trim the edges with some stained hardwood for a more finished look. Although it looks pretty darn good as it is.

Later
PW
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You can probably find small pieces of head liner for almost nothing at an auto upholstery shop. Pieces as small as 24x36 are too small to use for anything and are probably thrown away.

Once you get everything fastened to the bottom of the tabletop, use a piece of ¼" plywood, Masonite, or something similar on the bottom of the table to give you a finished bottom prior to putting on the side trim.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Amosmc

Great idea on the bottom finishing.

thanks
PW
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I will often use a piece of vinyl on the bottom. As Amos mentioned, the side trim goes on last, and buries the tacks and raw edges. This creates a nearly weightless addition to finish the bottom, it helps the top grip a stand, as with a busker's table, and if reversed, makes a decent hard surface for dice stacking or whatever.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Let me recommend not gluing the foam to the wood with a very strong adhesive. Here's why. The foam backing of headliner is polyurethane. After a while, it will break down from moisture and heat. When that happens, you will want to be able to remove it from the wood.

Rubber cement or even glue stick is a much better solution in the long run. Just do the edges and a cross across from corner to corner and side to side. This will keep the padding in place until you get the felt down.

Also, you can use upholsterer's tack strip to edge the table. It looks like closely spaced upholsterer's tacks. Actually, there is a tack every 3 inches.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
Why not just use headliner adhesive from an auto parts store since it's designed not to destroy the material its made to glue?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Close Up Table Top (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL