The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding half...help please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Ok, so here goes. I have a folding half, the kind that folds in three places. I am trying to replace the band and every time I do it breaks within the first one or two times of folding the coin. While doing coin in bottle it breaks as I am trying to get the coin out of the bottle.

Is there a bigger band for the folding half than the quarter? Currently I have a package of 1/8 inch medium bands. Do I need larger ones for the half?

Thanks a bunch for all your help.

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
I wouldn't recommend getting a bigger size because it doesn't fit correctly into the coin (my personal experience). If you'd like, try using a bigger size and if it doesn't work, go back to using the ones you have now.

The rubber bands you're using might be old as well (old rubber bands snap easily).

The only other reason the bands snap might be because of rough handling. Try to put the bands carefully onto the coin and carefully pull the coin out of the bottle (break the bottle if you have to).

Hope this helps,
Chrix
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
If you're using quarter bands, it would probably be way too hard to put them on. Make sure you're using half bands. Also, try doubling up the bands.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
If your rubber bands are new, a possible problem is that one of the grooves pinches the rubber band, causing it to break prematurely. You can remedy this with either a very small flat screwdriver (like for eyeglasses) or with a very small piece of fine sandpaper, working slowly to open the gap and remove any burrs that could cut the band. Hopefully you won't get to the point of having to alter the coin, though. Good luck!
Aaron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dorian,

People from other parts of the country are not aware of the destructive effects of heat here in the South can have on rubber and even some plastic and nylon products. Simply leaving new rubberbands in a hot car here will destroy them. Rubberbands for coins are easily cut from real latex surgical tubing. Don't put it in your car. Keep it in your pocket or house between shows.

Hope to see you at SEAM in Birmingham August 3-5, 2006. http://www.seam2006.com/
It's the closest one to you for a while.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1965 Posts

Profile of tbaer
The surgical tubing bands are harder to put on the coins, however, once on, the coin has a good strong snap back. The bands used like the ones people who wear braces on their teeth use, are easy to put on the coins but the coin has a weaker snap back.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
What is a good source for the pre-made bands that fit quarters?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding half...help please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL