The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Laser Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I want to use a "laser tunnel" effect. Anybody know what wattage is necessary to pull this off?
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
You might be able to make something that looks the same with a standard Elipsoidal stage light. To do it with a laser for just this effect would be way too cost prohibitive.
joespuppets
View Profile
New user
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
16 Posts

Profile of joespuppets
I've played with trying to make a laser cone with a 1.6mw He-Ne laser. However, it just didn't have enough power to show up on stage, even with all lights off.

There are green lasers out there which are brighter for the same wattages (which I've not tried). But I suspect that you just can't get much of a laser cone in an eye-safe power level. The equipment is also subject to inspection by those who govern these laws.

However, I have seen some great laser-like effects from non laser sources. There are disco lights that put out a pencil-thin fan of light. Nowdays these are all motorized to dance to the music or in place. They put out a very nice "fanned plane" effect. I know of others that produce that cone of light but with a narrow angle.

Check out your nearest disk jockey store.
Joe Dunfee
Lancaster, PA, USA
mforteath
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
62 Posts

Profile of mforteath
Some event lighting stores will hire out lighting effects. I am sure they could help with your request at a reasonable price.
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Go to your local "Wiggle-light" purveyor.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Yeah, I went there. They had no idea what I was talking about.

I was in a club last night that had a laser effect that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for (but it was a fan, not a cone).
joespuppets
View Profile
New user
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
16 Posts

Profile of joespuppets
You definitely do not need a laser for a
"laser cone" effect. Of course, a 1 WATT laser is better at showing crisp, clearly defined swirls of smoke, but you probably don't want the hassle of dealing with a 1 watt laser either.

You said you went to a DJ store, but they didn't know what you were talking about. But, I am certain that what you want exists in the world of the DJ store... but perhaps you need to find one with better lighting personel. If you saw a similar effect at a club, the person running the lights might be a good source of information for you.

Another place to look for fixtures that do this effect is at a Theatrical Supply store.
Joe Dunfee
Lancaster, PA, USA
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
511 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
You may want to check here....
...for the light you are looking for. Figure out which light will create the effect you are looking for, write down the name, and head back to the DJ store and ask for it specifically.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3998 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Try this site

They have something they say produces "that classic laser tunnel effect", whatever that means.

Most of the laser tunnel systems I have seen look like they would be much better to rent, unless you were using one all the time in a high-paying gig.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Wow, one watt is extremely bright. What color do you want? I use a 35mW red HeNe laser for my dj setup. I made my own laser tunnel. Go to Radio Shack, buy a galvanometer (galvo) and attach it to some electricity so it spins. Super glue a round mirror to it. Aim the laser at it, shoot some fog and there ya go...a laser tunnel. Since beamboxes are out of my price range I made my own laser show with my Gemini Laser Launcher. I put it on a box and put mirrors around the box (aimed them of course) and let it run audio active. I also put a mirror on my speaker (taped) and let the speaker vibrate it. Shine the laser on it, instant laser show. Hope that helped.

P.S http://www.laseramazers.com has the cheapest prices around.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Laser Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL