The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Shell Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
I use a Johnson Morgan. Nobody has spotted it save a 9 year old who wants to be a magician and watches (burns) me like a hawk. Still fooled her with a version of coins across though. My niece may be the next female superstar.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I've gone both ways and not seeing much difference with either Johnson or Schoolcraft coins. Both have done what they are suppose to do. Its not so much which coins you use, but how you as the performer uitlizes the coins.
Ryan clark
View Profile
Loyal user
Spruce Grove ,AB
236 Posts

Profile of Ryan clark
Exactly man
Any Effect Is Possible, methods are relativley easy to come by, but it is the effect that takes true courage to come up with

Sankey
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Brad,
I agree so much, I've quoted your entire post. It's worth reading again.
I've used Johnson's for over 25 years and wouldn't hesitate buying again.
Quote:
On 2006-07-13 22:24, Brad Burt wrote:
What's so funny about this is that I have been using a Johnson Expanded Half in one form or another for 30 years and have never, ever been busted. Never. Shells are like TT's. If someone knows what to look for they are going to bust you. Period. If they don't they are not going to see it unless you use it so badly that you tip what you are using. The Johnson units are extremely nice and they are priced about right.

Are the Lassen/Schoolcraft units better? Sure. In the same way that a Mercedes is better than a Volkeswagen. But, they both get you to the same place in the end.

Part of the problem with ANYTHING gaffed is the way that the performer reacts TO that item. If you treat your shell as if it is in some different than a normal half you need to correct that. In your mind all your gaffs should be treated as if they are totally normal in every way. You see some of the worst problems with things like the Invisible Deck. The slow pushing of the cards from one hand to the other as you hunch over the deck in morbid fear that they will be discovered, etc.

Relax, relax, relax. Best,
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
This nearly normal guy has used Johnson, Sterling to Lassen.....

Hopefully my audiences can not tell the difference...IMHO I don't think they can.

Harris "palms of aluminum foil" deutsch
for a lighter touch in coin magic
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 10:21, Jonathan P. wrote:
An expanded shell is made (correct me if I am wrong) by "expanding" the coin by "flattening it" and then hollowing it in order to get the shell.

I thought expanded shells were made by heating the coin, which causes the metal to expand, then hollowing out the coin.

If you want a shell that will completely cover your coins, then you could have a set of thin coins made. These would be made the same way you make a double headed coin.

This would be both expensive and unnecessary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Shell Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL