The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Toibox Review!!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
It definitely sounds very interesting but I think I'm a little confused here. If I followed correctly in the first phase of the effect the magician removes a signed card from the box and then, this is where I get lost. Is another card selected, from the deck, not signed and lost in the deck and then the spectator can remove the card from the tin?

I think Jon Allen's Destination Box is absolutely incredible and would be very hard to beat. I really like John Kennedy's Mystery Box as well but The Destination Box is definitely my favorite.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
[quote]On 2006-07-12 01:56, JJP161 wrote:
It definitely sounds very interesting but I think I'm a little confused here. If I followed correctly in the first phase of the effect the magician removes a signed card from the box and then, this is where I get lost. Is another card selected, from the deck, not signed and lost in the deck and then the spectator can remove the card from the tin?

Yes, That is correct. Though, the second phase is optional.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 01:56, JJP161 wrote:

I think Jon Allen's Destination Box is absolutely incredible and would be very hard to beat.

The nice thing is that it is locked so speckies don't go opening the darn thing while it's on the table. However, Jon Allen's Destination Box could actually be opened by the spectator and peeked at. They would not find out the secret. Very excellent!
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 01:56, JJP161 wrote:

I think Jon Allen's Destination Box is absolutely incredible and would be very hard to beat. I really like John Kennedy's Mystery Box as well but The Destination Box is definitely my favorite.

Jon Allen's box and the Kennedy Box are both wonderful ideas and great effects and if they fit your needs then ToiBox probably is not for you. But ToiBox definately has its niche. For restuarant work or walk-a-round work I'll put it up against any other similar effect. It is in this environment ToiBox shines.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
...I can't even get the ruddy thing to play in FireFox or IE! Bloody QuickTime - why do people bother with it!?

Dr. Zordas
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Shame aboout the time difference! Now there's a whole load of stuff to comment on so apologies for the length of this post...

MagicMania wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but this is Much more compact and can be done anywhere and still has a very strong effect to lay audiences.

Compact is not necessarily better. Because of the size of The Destination Box, it is a feature item. I use it to open and close my set. It also helps me find out a lot of information about my audience which helps during the performance. It is padlocked so it is of interest to people because they want to know what is inside. A little, everyday tin, while getting the job of having a card appear in an improbable place, does not have the same impact.

I use The Destination Box anywhere as well. Tables, Receptions, sitting, standing indoors or outdoors. The fact that I have to hold it when I approach a group of people makes no difference whatsoever.

Kammagic wrote:
Quote:
You make a good point. People don't grab Toibox. They don't suspect the box. The Kennedy and any unique looking box screams "GIMMICK" I don't care how well someone manufactures it to look ungimmicked.

People haven't grabbed it but what happens when they do? Just because they haven't; doesn't mean they won't. I think that anything the magician supplies himself is under scrutiny. Your job is to deceive after all. As for any unique looking box screaming "gimmick" I beg to differ. I actually hand my Destination Box to someone at the beginning of my act. It is a simple, no frills, wooden box. They look all round it and are satisfied. After all, why would I give it to them if it were gimmicked? I have never had anyone ever say there must be something strange about the box. The fact that I am so casual about handing it to them emphasises this fact. I can have people examine the box afterwards but nobody ever does thanks to the routining. If absolutely necessary, I can open the box and take out the contents, show the box, put the contents back in and lock the box again. It is examinable but it does ruin the surprise of what's inside the box if I do that Smile

I think people are forgetting about two important pieces of magic: handling and performance. No matter what a prop looks like, you have to handle it in a natural manner. If I handle a gimmicked box in a natural manner, this is much better than handling a regular item in a suspicious manner regardless of what the effect is that is produced by the prop. One thing that virtually all video demos do is have the prop nicely in place and everything set up for the trick.

How have you introduced the prop? What is your reasoning for having it? What happens to it after the routine? If you introduce a box and then pull out a pack of cards, people will automatically assume the box has something to do with the cards and when a card is selected, they know *exactly* what the box is for. I introduce my box as the very first thing I do. Nobody has the faintest idea what it is about. I would be interested to know how people who use Toibox introduce the box and how they separate its introduction from the card trick.

Kammagic wrote:
Quote:
Some of you are still commenting on the video and it was explained that the video was only to show what kind of effect Toibox is and in no way should be compared to routines and handling you are getting in the book. ToiBox is different than the Bruno Hennig and the Kaps version and other versions. Please stop criticizing something you have not even bothered to learn about.

What about everyone not on here who do not have the benefit of an explanation. Those that know the method from watching the video will be confused and those that don't will read that someone else can remove their signed card and assume that the video shows the routine where this is possible. From watching the video, it looks exactly like Bruno Hennig/Kaps version although I do know it is slightly different to enable the person to remove their own card. As for criticisms, I believe you have not seen Tommy Wonder's routine and learnt his theory and I do not believe you know about mine either. The criticism has come not from the routines but from the video showing a routine that does not show the prop 'in action' coupled with a statement that is extremely misleading.

Quote:
Nothing else plays this big while packing so small and has so much versatility with so little work.

Size has nothing to do with how good something plays. The Destination Box plays much bigger and is also much more versatile. As for doing little work, this implies it is easy. Physically it might be but handling, performance, audience management, misdirection all take work¡K. and a lot of work at that.

Magicmania wrote:
Quote:
Tell me how Jonathan implied the card the spectator removes from the tin is signed. Jonathan has not mislead any of you. Stop making up stuff.

The website states that the card is signed and ends up on the box: "First time it's a surprise the second time it is under strict conditions and the spectator opens the tin and removes the card themselves" That *definitely* sounds like you remove the card the first time; they remove the card the second time. You yourself even wrote: "Jonathan also gives you a second phase where the spectator can pull the card out themselves." Sounds like they remove the signed card to me!

I think the problem with magic is that people see an item and buy it but once they have learned the secret, they cannot ask for a refund as it is seen as them just looking to see how a trick works. However, if someone has read a description, seen a video and then receives something different, they should be allowed to have a refund. As Kammagic said, Toibox has its niche. However, people need and deserve to know what they are getting. At the very least, they should be able to see what they are getting rather than seeing one effect of how the audience may perceive the effect. If that means some people figuring out what you have done then so be it. If there are other ideas and routines then they may well admire your thinking and wish to but the item to see what else you have to offer with it.

I think it would be a great competition to put all the Card to Boxes up against each other in the real world and see what happens!!! I think *mine* would come out on top.... Smile

Jon
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
mgshn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of mgshn
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 09:11, Jon Allen wrote:
Shame aboout the time difference! Now there's a whole load of stuff to comment on

Jon

Jon, In your signature line you refer people to a site where you are selling Silent Treatment. My question is, "Do *you* have a version where the spectator can remove the card?"
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
For me I think $5 dollars for an instant download to learn your handling for TOI BOX makes sense .....
not $25 dollars for an old effect that is not yours......
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
mario_wong
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
43 Posts

Profile of mario_wong
Jon Allen, you have your goal acheived, you make everyone here think that Destination Box is the best item out there! Great !

I think it might be easier for you to ask Magicmania to change the thread topic to ''Destination Box is the best!'' instead of writing hundred of words selling your item.
Favorite Magicians:
Daryl
Larry Jennings
Allan Ackerman
Micheal Ammar
Bill Marlone
Lennart Green
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Mgshn,
I don't advertise that they can. Every so often, they could though ;-)

Hi Mario,
I was responding to various negative comments about various boxes, of which mine was one, and putting forward the facts. There were also other subjects which I addressed, hopefully in an objective manner as well.

Personally, I would love to hear from others who have bought Toibox to see what they think.

Jon
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
amerkle
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of amerkle
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 09:55, mario_wong wrote:
Jon Allen, you have your goal acheived, you make everyone here think that Destination Box is the best item out there! Great !

I think it might be easier for you to ask Magicmania to change the thread topic to ''Destination Box is the best!'' instead of writing hundred of words selling your item.

No Kidding. This thread has been hijacked.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
I think this has gone too far! All I did was write a review. Then you guys came along an started bashing Jonathan's effect. I know some of you wanted to clear things up, but there is no need to convince people to not buy it. That is very rude and disrespectful. How would you feel if people did this to you?
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 11:45, Magicmania wrote:
I think this has gone TOO FAR! All I did was write a review. Then you guys came along an started bashing Jonathan's effect. I know some of you wanted to clear things up, but there is no need to convince people to not buy it. That is very rude and disrespectful. How would you feel if people did this to you?

If my product deserved it, then so be it.

I don't think people in this thread were "bashing" it out of malice. I legitimately felt that the Toibox offered nothing new and wanted to give my input.

Jon, I think you've sold me on the Destination Box. I needed a better way to bring my close-up set full circle and I think the D-Box will do the trick.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
$250 for Destination Box!!! I'll stick with ToiBox.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 11:59, Magicmania wrote:
$250 for Destination Box!!! I'll stick with ToiBox.

It'll pay for itself in 1-2 gigs.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 00:33, kammagic wrote:
Some of you are still commenting on the video and it was explained that the video was only to show what kind of effect Toibox is and in no way should be compared to routines and handling you are getting in the book. ToiBox is different then the Bruno Hennig and the Kaps version and other versions. Please stop criticizing something you have not even bothered to learn about.

I think I have just figured out what has been confusing and bothering me about ToiBox.

I believe I would have taken to it much more positively had the emphasis (both here and on the product's site) been on the special routines instead of the prop itself. The fact that the video just showed a common CTB routine put undue emphasis on the prop, instead of the routines, which I assume are really the product's selling point.

I think we could have skipped all of this had the product been marketed as a pamphlet of routines (which is what it seems to be) instead of a magic box.

One man's opinion.
Noel
View Profile
Loyal user
Surrey, England
205 Posts

Profile of Noel
I very rarely visit the magic Café chat board but I had some free time today and stumbled across this thread. I have watched the demo video of the Toi BOx and to me it just looks like the Bruno Hennig card in box classic. It doesn't matetr if the method has changed if the conditions havent been improved. The excellent Kennedy box allowed you to leave the empty box on the table which was obviously empty. I never used to draw attention to it but I am sure it was noticed by one on two spectators at every table.

A few years ago I bought Jon Allen's Destination Box and I never looked back. This is a trick that I do at every event I work at, every single group or table gets to see it. I urge everybody to re-read Jon Allens post on the previous page.

Best regards,

Noel
http://www.noelqualter.com
mgshn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of mgshn
All kidding aside, I think Toibox and Destination Box are in different leagues. (Here's where I manage to get Jon *and* everyone else mad at the same time.) Toibox doesn't look like the kind of think I would want to use as a set piece in a stand up act. OTOH, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to carry a DB with me just to use as an out in a strolling situation. In fact (sorry Jon) I, at least, wouldn't want to carry a DB with me to stroll at all. I just don't have the pocket space. In my view the world is big enough for both props to get along.

That said, I ordered the thing and will post my impressions of it soon. I do own a DB and can recommend it, along with Jon's excellent lecture video, without any reservations. (Boy, am I going to catch it for mentioning that on this thread...)

So, what's everyone think about Israel invading Lebanon?
wonder pefomance
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of wonder pefomance
I suggest combining the two -ie use the toibox instead of the mint tin in the destination box. this way you get the power of both effects.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Jon Allen's Destination Box is a great effect and ToiBox is not a replacement for it.

Destination box and ToiBox are both Card in box effects just like a car and a truck are both vehicles. What makes one better then the other is how each of them satisfies each individuals needs. Should everyone go out and buy ToiBox? Yes that would be great but in reality ToiBox is not for everyone. This is not a competition. ToiBox is simply a unique handling of a classic effect I have been having wonderful success with and I wanted to pass that on to others.

What happened to "The Magic Café" "Magician's Helping Magician's"

, Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Toibox Review!!! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL