The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Toibox Review!!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..12~13~14 [Next]
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 19:35, zak plumb wrote:

Quote:
On 2006-07-12 16:30, vinsmagic wrote:
Maybe the do suck...
so does your face

That was a horrible thing to say.

Umm..."Maybe your tricks suck" is a horrible thing to say. I am surprised you don't understand this.

At times, the Café is more like magicians attacking magicians
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Vinnie,

I know a lot of magicians hate gimmicks which is fine. Personally I like to use whatever gets the job done.

I think people are getting fidgety about waiting for the reviews so that's maybe why Zak struck out. Zak, I know someone in Surrey who suffers from Bells Palsey and he's in a bad way. Don't feel too bad.

Jon
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
I don't visit the Café enough to know that some members are above critisism.

That you think your post was in any way a critique pretty much confirms how people are responding to it.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Zak, I am sorry to hear of your condition but what you said was completely uncalled for. Sorry to be condescending but you just don't hurl insults at people and then not expect some sort of reciprication.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I just received my manuscript for Toibox today. Unlike Magicmania, I am not that impressed. The manuscript is well produced and the effects are well explained. The problem is that the effects are nothing earth shattering. Before my purchase I spent several days reading and re-reading the posts from various individuals, including Jonathon Kamm himself. I even visited Jonathon’s website prior to purchasing the effect. Jonathon has various videos of some of his routines and sleights on his site. His excellence in handling cards and coins is what prompted me to purchase Toibox. I speculated as to the method but felt it unprofessional to comment on the effect without giving the author/inventor the courtesy of having actually read the manuscript. The book consists of a history of the effect, how the effect works, handling of the Toibox, an explanation of the something’s that make the magic happen and then four routines (5 if you include a brief routine that Jonathon discusses in his closing remarks). I feel that Jonathon could easily have offered this to the magic community as a PDF download and charged half the amount. I perform table side magic at Max and Erma’s, so I will try the effects there in the upcoming weeks and see how well they are received by the lay public. I hope that my comments do not incite a riot. As I stated, I at least purchased Toibox before commenting about the effect.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
bosque
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bosque
I got this in the mail today. Not bad; but not much more than say, card to card box. For this kind of a spin on the old trick, I have to say I still prefer "Astonishmints". Slightly gimmicked, but way stronger and more logical than a "proppy" box.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Zak if you want to dish it out then you must be able to take it as well.saying my tricks suck when you never even seen me perform is wrong. I was talking about magicians helping other magicians,
I recall one time you pmed me about a effect of mine you were interested in and I sent it your way, you never even acknowleded getting it.
and then you say maybe Jon thinks my tricks suck I think Jon can speak for him self, and I was never disrespectfull to you or anyone else finally you say some members are above cririsim I get critized just as much as the next person,
you added nothing to the topic at hand your only purpose was to put me down
do you think now that you did that you have elevated your self ?????
think about it for the next time
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 19:35, zak plumb wrote:
QuoteI am dissapointed that everybody chose to gang up on me. I don't visit the Café enough to know that some members are above critisism. My bad.

What you said about Vinny was not critisism. Since you are not familiar with his work it was simply an unsubstantiated verbal asault. Something a twelve year old might say. Everyone ganged up on you because you were wrong, very wrong!
Craig Kyle
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Craig Kyle
I'm not sure if I am being understood hear. I will break it down. "maybe your tricks suck" means, as far as I am concrened "possibly your tricks are really bad". Thq question was about why mr Allne hadnt reposded to somethng or bought the trick. I just offered an opinion on why he didn't so this. I didn't say they suck, I don't own them, I couldn't no. If you wish it to it to, it could constroo that I was saying that they did suck. But that wasnt what I meant. If you added 2 and then another 2 and got 5 that isn't my problem. I say again. I am dissapointed in my Café brothers being so spiteful.

I suggested the trick was possibly bad and he made a laugh out of the way I look. Totally disrespectful.
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Dude lighten up you have got a pretty funny looking face. Not being outers or anything just true innit.

Criss
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I think we all need to refresh ourselves with the Café rules and etiquette...on second thought, maybe the rules on human decency.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 20:49, ldl1017 wrote:
I just received my manuscript for Toibox today. Unlike Magicmania, I am not that impressed. The manuscript is well produced and the effects are well explained. The problem is that the effects are nothing earth shattering. Before my purchase I spent several days reading and re-reading the posts from various individuals, including Jonathon Kamm himself. I even visited Jonathon’s website prior to purchasing the effect. Jonathon has various videos of some of his routines and sleights on his site. His excellence in handling cards and coins is what prompted me to purchase Toibox. I speculated as to the method but felt it unprofessional to comment on the effect without giving the author/inventor the courtesy of having actually read the manuscript. The book consists of a history of the effect, how the effect works, handling of the Toibox, an explanation of the something’s that make the magic happen and then four routines (5 if you include a brief routine that Jonathon discusses in his closing remarks). I feel that Jonathon could easily have offered this to the magic community as a PDF download and charged half the amount. I perform table side magic at Max and Erma’s, so I will try the effects there in the upcoming weeks and see how well they are received by the lay public. I hope that my comments do not incite a riot. As I stated, I at least purchased Toibox before commenting about the effect.
Lou

Lou,

Nice honest review. I'll be interested to see what your reaction is after performing it. Max & Erma's is a great place to do magic. I filled in for a guy there once. What routine do you think you will perform? As for a PDF that was a personal choice to keep the stealing down to a minimum. Plus I think its easier learning from a book. You can take it with you as oposed to practicing only in front of your computer.

Thanks, Jonathan
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Everyone has got to cool down. Zak, Vinny is one of the most generous and respected people on the Café, and since he sent you that vid a while back, you should have known that. Even speculating that someone's tricks possibly suck without seeing them is stupid. Being that Vinny did not even say anything bad in the first place, your post was entirely out of line. Don't make an insanely disrespectful post (disrespectful no matter how you look at it) and then be offended when you get insulted back. Vinny has been nothing but incredibly generous with his genius ideas to everyone, including you, so I think you owe him an apology, and I believe that you should seriously think about why you would say something like that so stupidly.

Cody
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Jonathon,
Tri Fold and Three Way Prediction jumped out immediately. I’ll most likely work on those initially. Glad to see that my words did not offend you. I have relatives in Downers Grove, so I’ll make it a point to stop by TGIF’s some Friday or Saturday evening that I’m in town visiting to see you work. My comment regarding your videos was not said casually. You’re P**S is truly amazing. Anyone who has not visited Jonathon’s site should treat themselves immediately
Billy Joel
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Jonathon,
Just watched your latest vid about the Vaultz pencil case. I bought two...one blue and one black! They are awsome.
Lou
Billy Joel
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 20:53, bosque wrote:
I got this in the mail today. Not bad; but not much more than say, card to card box. For this kind of a spin on the old trick, I have to say I still prefer "Astonishmints". Slightly gimmicked, but way stronger and more logical than a "proppy" box.

As was hoping for reviews from people who have gone out and performed ToiBox. I have read many effects that I thought "Well that sounds stupid. That's not gonna work." then took the time to learn them correctly and perform them to find out how great the effects are.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 21:35, ldl1017 wrote:
Jonathon,
Tri Fold and Three Way Prediction jumped out immediately. I’ll most likely work on those initially. Glad to see that my words did not offend you. I have relatives in Downers Grove, so I’ll make it a point to stop by TGIF’s some Friday or Saturday evening that I’m in town visiting to see you work. My comment regarding your videos was not said casually. You’re P**S is truly amazing. Anyone who has not visited Jonathon’s site should treat themselves immediately

That would be great! e-mail me when you know your coming so I don't take the night off. I can show you the finer points of ToiBox. TriFold and The Chosen One are great for walking around Three Way Prediction you need three boxes so a little harder to carry around.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Downers Grove? The western suburbs were my old stomping grounds before I moved to Texas! I'll have to catch your work on a visit home, too. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 21:07, zak plumb wrote:
I'm not sure if I am being understood hear. I will break it down. "maybe your tricks suck" means, as far as I am concrened "possibly your tricks are really bad". Thq question was about why mr Allne hadnt reposded to somethng or bought the trick. I just offered an opinion on why he didn't so this. I didn't say they suck, I don't own them, I couldn't no. If you wish it to it to, it could constroo that I was saying that they did suck. But that wasnt what I meant. If you added 2 and then another 2 and got 5 that isn't my problem. I say again. I am dissapointed in my Café brothers being so spiteful.

I suggested the trick was possibly bad and he made a laugh out of the way I look. Totally disrespectful.

Dude, you're lost. You can't make your own rules as to what's acceptable in response to you knuckleheaded post.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
I think Zak wants to sleep with the fishes.... Smile
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Toibox Review!!! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL