The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Need some basic help w/ dancing cane / stick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
CaptRitz
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of CaptRitz
I'm trying to routine a dancing stick as per Dancing Cane 101 DVD.

Big problem with the loop twisting up to where you have to just stop and clear it.

Anybody have a solution to the twisting, or how to avoid it?

I can see this is gonna take a LOT of practice!
I'd really appreciate some help.
This can look like REAL magic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22456 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just repeat the move you've done to twist the gimmick in the opposite direction. If you do the twirl to the left, then do it to the right and it will untwist. Simple!
CaptRitz
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of CaptRitz
Thanks.

I HAD thought of that, but it wasn't apparant in any of the videos, so I thought I was overlooking some technique.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 00:25, wmhegbli wrote:
Just repeat the move you done to twist the gimmick in the opposite direction. If you do the twirl to the left, then do it to the right and it will untwist. Simple!

That is correct. Routining is the thing here!
Deucemc
View Profile
Regular user
originally Honolulu, Hawaii
116 Posts

Profile of Deucemc
I bought a Dancing Cane. It's aluminium. I watched the Jeff McBride video with the dancing cane on it. I'm having trouble with manipulating it. I have it hooked up and when I go to manipulate it. It just goes horizontal. I don't if you understand what I'm saying, let me know I'll try to explain it better.
K
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
Deucemc,

Perhaps, you're balance point on the cane is off if you have a cheap cane. I had the same problem when I started and thought it was my cane (it cost $15) but with practice it works like a charm. It is probably mostly a matter of practice. If you're still having problems PM me and we can talk specifics as I don't want to say much else here.
Landon
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
If you balance the cane on your finger, the gimmick should be exactly one inch off center. If the cane is balanced correctly and you still have the same problem, then you need more practice. If that is not the case, then you have a bad cane.
CaptRitz
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of CaptRitz
Quote:
On 2006-07-19 23:16, Dmann wrote:
If you balance the cane on your finger the gimmick should be exactly one inch off center. If the cane is balanced correctly and you still have the same problem, then you need more practice. If that is not the case then you have a bad cane.

Hmmm one inch eh?
That's considerably more than I've been led to believe but began to suspect.
Does an internal weight to retract the gimmick make a difference?
I'm trying this first with a wand/stick to try to parlor-ize scale the effect.

I MUST say that your performance defines the dancing wand!! It's truly magical in your hands!
McBrides performance leaves NO mystery as to method. It's blatantly obvious as to what's happening.
With the possible exception of Losander, I've not seen another convincing performance.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
CaptRitz,

On my cane, the internal weight has been taken into consideration and does not interfere with the balance of the cane.

Thanks for your compliments.
Deucemc
View Profile
Regular user
originally Honolulu, Hawaii
116 Posts

Profile of Deucemc
Thanks for the help all. I measured the cane's balance point. It was no where near an inch. I made a new balance point and yes it was a cheap cane it has the silver sticker spiraling down it. I thought that would be good to start with. I've practiced it and it's a lot better. I can control it better without it flipping over.

Thanks.
K
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
I 110% reccomend that if you enjoy the effect and want a more Superior cane that is beautiful to work with. The 101 Dancing Cane from Dave's Site is AWSOME! No complants.
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Thanks for the endorsement.
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
I got one ordered for me from http://www.precisionmagic.com is the set that includes the DVD and (Ninja bag). I think that is what is called. Can't wait to get my hands on.

Dmann.. I assume that the person in the clip on your site manipulating the cane is you? If yes, great job, it's a joy to watch. Is the cane you're using there Aluminum? The same as the one being sold in a package? I hope it is , because that is what I want.

Cheers
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Yes, that is David in the video, and yes the cane is the same. They are the premier Dancing Canes IMHO.

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
jonmturner06
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of jonmturner06
I have the Dancing Cane that I bought from Dave and also have the video. It is a great trick to do. I love it and the video was a lot of help. I highly recommend you getting the video.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I was an 2005 IBM Gold Medal Finalist using David's cane and many of the techniques he created (with some of my own). I've used all of the canes out there, and the Precision Magic cane is by far the best!
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Haven't heard from you in a while Big Daddy. Glad to see you did so well with the cane. As to the original help needed, another idea would be to try a swivel that is used for fishing. Also, I wanted to acknowledge "Seeker" on this thread. I must commend you for coming up with your own ideas. Keep up the good work.
CaptRitz
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of CaptRitz
Quote:
On 2006-08-24 22:42, Dmann wrote:
...another idea would be to try a swivel that is used for fishing.

Fishing swivel is a great idea.
Gotta get myself to a sporting goods store.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Thanks Dave,

There are a BUNCH of ideas floating around up there in this noodle of mine. Just have to chase them down and get them out.

-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Keep banging them out buddy. It will be worth it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Need some basic help w/ dancing cane / stick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL