The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Confetti vs glitter mess (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Hello

Is there a difference in the mess made by confetti and the mess made by glitter? How would each affect the performer? I heard that you sometimes need to maneuver yourself so that confetti does not stick on your shoes and you can potentially slip. What about glitter? Is the mess made by glitter more toleratable compared to confetti?

Thanks.

Han Chung Lim
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22450 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
"What about glitter? Is the mess made by glitter more toleratable compared to confetti?" YES!!!
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
The answer as to what makes a bigger mess depends on what type of mess you are thinking of. Many magicians will work in venues where they will have to clean up after them selves, if you want to work there again that is. In this sense, both will make a mess but the glitter is much harder to get off the floor.

If you are just worried about slipping that will depend on what kind of shoes you have and what type of floor you will be on. Remember, just you may be able to work on a messy floor but another act might not.

Chris
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The two most convenient ways to clean it up is to have a small vac or a tape roller with you when you are going to perform it in your act.
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Definitely beats the picking them up bent over on hands and knees.

Chris
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Glitter is harder to clean up. Especially if your over carpet.
Glitter and carpet do not go together.
Even on stage glitter seems to stick to the floor making clean up difficult.
Daniel Faith
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I use Snowstorms occasionally and it pays to clean up to some degree, if not arranged with host prior, etc.

I use large glitter pieces for certain effects, not the fine stuff and it cleans up well!

Also, don't leave a mess if other acts are following, etc.
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Depending on exactly what you are using it for, flutter-fetti may be a good alternative. This is the type of 'confetti' often used in cannons. Each piece is a small rectangle about 1" long and 1/2" wide. They flutter as they fall and because of their size are much more visible. Bigger pieces make for an easier clean up too.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Good Gosh Girls! Get your heads out of....well never mind but maybe have a look at Rip Taylor's contract.

Unlike flashpaper, Steve Brooks has yet to set up a forum and a locked topic on the hazards of using glitter/confetti. It's just bits of paper!

And vac? Uh no unless you plan on doing it. Let's get our heads out of our....never mind.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Thanks for the insight, Randy. Smile

I used glitter once in practice years ago, and I'm still picking the stuff off of my props. Mylar confetti gives the shine, is easier to clean up, and holds it's shape. If you're asking for a snowstorm effect, paper confetti is the only way to go. Again, clean up after yourself either way.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Insight? Wasn't the word I was looking for.
Daniel Faith
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Who is using glitter in their act and why?

Mylar cut in small squares as we do with a snowstorm packet makes more sense unless the effect absolutely calls for glitter.

I've read back on this topic and can't find a good reason to use glitter. That would be a serious mess.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I found mylar hand coils from Lock Family Magic and after I use them I cut them up and use them for confetti. I do snowstorm all the time and always clean up afterwards. I carry a small dustbuster to do the job. Always try to be a Boy Scout.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-09-09 01:24, Darkwing wrote:
Always try to be a Boy Scout.

I hate the Boyscouts very much. I tried to be one but my mother wouldn't hear it.

Years later, I joined the 2nd Infantry Division US Army when I actually had a say in the matter.

And she was concerned about the boys camping out someplace where they might get their eye poked out.

I suppose I could of made a better Scout but that's not the case, now is it.

Silly Americans.

When I do snowstorms, I don't clean. I handcut my packets which took me a lot longer to prepare than your Hoover spends sucking it up.

It's just paper people!

This is not Anthrax and it won't stain your teeth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Confetti vs glitter mess (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL