The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Video: New York, New York (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Hello All,

I thought I'd pop this up here to get some comments of improvement. This is a piece of my that I will be performing in the first week of August at The Magic Castle, and am looking for some advice to improve. Most of it is original to me, with a few things here and there from other magicians. At the end there's a little flash with a coin, but the severe angles of the camera are unforgiving and I couldn't avoid flashing. This will not be the case in the Close-Up Gallery. Please excuse the backdrop, my attire and the poor video quality. I'd like to thank Chris Korn, Shoot Ogawa, Rick Merrill, and Aaron Rabkin for routines and inspiration that are included. Anyway, I'll let you watch and I hope you enjoy.

The link is in my signature (New York, New York)

Thanks,

Ben
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! That was excellent! All the best to you Ben! You'll make it there! You'll make it anywhere! It's up to you kid!

More power!

Rannie Raymundo
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

P.S. It is such a joy to see young magicians create rather than just take the easier route which is to merely copy. Please keep it up!

Posted: Jul 12, 2006 2:36am
-----------------------------------------------
One more thing! I have been silently following your videos since the schizoid vanish. I must say you have developed your "persona" your identity/style thru the months or maybe even years. Kudos to you!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1483 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Very nice! I like the whole routine and all the sequences are nice individually.
It is very funny (in a great way, that goes along with finesse and style) and still very very magical. I am sure you'll have a good time perorming it!

Jonathan.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3483 Posts

Profile of warren
Well done,i thought it was a very nice polished performance.
all the best I'm sure you'll have a great time.
**Roper**
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
170 Posts

Profile of **Roper**
Very well done!!!
HFM
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of HFM
It was a pleasure to watch. Very nicely done.
gene plampin
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of gene plampin
Very nice misdirection when the third coin appears on the table.
-=Ralph=-
View Profile
Regular user
New York
111 Posts

Profile of -=Ralph=-
I hate you.

Well... Not really!! Fantastic Work and what a pleasure to watch!!

Thanks!!

Ralph
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Thanks guys.

I originally did the routine to 'Johnny be good' but later changed mt mind. I'm happy with the result. Anybody have a realistic idea to make the final to wand raise out of the pocket without me touching them?

Thanks again,

Ben
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
766 Posts

Profile of dduane
Thanks for sharing your video! Looks great. I like the way it builds in mystery and humor!

Duane
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
766 Posts

Profile of dduane
I do some thread work. John Kennedy's Hummingbird Reel or another motorized reel with Kevlar thread might work - like rising cards.... !?maybe?!
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Thanks dduane - I got some great advice from Mr. Bill Palmer and hopefully will have it rigged up soon.

Ben
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Ben, that was fantastic!!!
Shawn.
Noel D
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Noel D
WOW! The only way I can describe that is this.

I have seen harder coin routines.
I have seen more impossible coin routines.
I have seen more magical routines.

But I have never seen a more entertaining routine than the one I just saw.

THAT was magic. I am utterly impressed and I'm sure you'll be going places with that routine alone!

Also...

Quote:
On 2006-07-12 11:49, Ben Proudfoot wrote:
Thanks guys.

I originally did the routine to 'Johnny be good' but later changed mt mind. I'm happy with the result. Anybody have a realistic idea to make the final to wand raise out of the pocket without me touching them?

Thanks again,

Ben

Don't worry about it. To be honest, that part fooled me the most until I read that quote.

It's not expected, the misdirection is there and quite frankly, Even if they do see how the rise hapened, the transformation covers that easily.

Don't worry about it. Having to worry about a thread your entire act is just overcomplicating things.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1278 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Indeed Ben, it's really fun to watch. Hope to see it in person someday if you're ever in T.O.
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Sure thing rutabaga. If I'm ever up there I'll give you a shout. Are you going to the next CAM? Thanks for the comments guys. Some very useful comments here.

Thanks,

Ben
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Very enjoyable performance Ben.

Your music credits should read: Words & Music by Fred Ebb (Lyricist)& John Kander (Composer). Of course, without the music and words of these two gentlemen, there would be no performance by Frank Sinatra. Thank goodness it's usually easier to credit music, than magic.

I have a question for you Ben. I've been playing around with the idea of using some commercial music in my own performance, and I've always wondered what hoops people had to jump through to use music like Sinatra's performance of Erb & Kander's New York, New York. What did you have to do to enable you to legally use Sinatra's recording in your own public performance?
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
aiki
View Profile
Regular user
Middletown NY
181 Posts

Profile of aiki
Overall very nice. The one part that I do not like is were you take the second coin and pick it up in your right hand and then appear to pull the coin from your elbow area with your left. I do not like the way you pick up the coin and place into CP, the hand looks like it is manipulating the coin and not that the coin just disappears. I unfortunately, off of the top of my head, do not know what you could use in place of your current handling at this point. Maybe you could do something more with your left hand to draw attention away from your right?

I loved your wand work through out the whole routine. Also your misdirection was excellent with the coins appearing on the table.

Please keep up the good work and post other video's of your performances.
Ray K.

Till we meet again!
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 16:17, Dan Magyari wrote:
Very enjoyable performance Ben.

Your music credits should read: Words & Music by Fred Ebb (Lyricist)& John Kander (Composer). Of course, without the music and words of these two gentlemen, there would be no performance by Frank Sinatra. Thank goodness it's usually easier to credit music, than magic.

I have a question for you Ben. I've been playing around with the idea of using some commercial music in my own performance, and I've always wondered what hoops people had to jump through to use music like Sinatra's performance of Erb & Kander's New York, New York. What did you have to do to enable you to legally use Sinatra's recording in your own public performance?

Hi Dan,

Because I am performing this at The Magic Castle, I don't have to deal with the rights as they are already licensed with BMI who owns the performing rights to millions of songs. 'New York, New York' (Correct, written by John Kander and lyrics by Fred Ebb) is licensed under the company BMI (www.BMI.com) which is one of several performance rights companies like ASCAP (www.ascap.com). If I were going to open my own venue, I'd licence it under one of these two companies, whichever's music I needed which is a fee you have to pay per year. I guess I lucked out that The Castle was licensed under BMI!

Best,

Ben
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8992 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Just wonderful! Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Video: New York, New York (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL