The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » If you had to choose... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
If you had to choose between Capricorn Tales and Strange Ceremonies, which would you select and WHY?
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I choose (C) both!

The styles are so different, the presenations so unqiue, it is hard to say which is "better" as opposed to both belong in every storyteller/bizarrist's library....

SC has a lot of history and theory of Bizarre Magick and thus doesn't have as many effects within its pages as CT. So, it depends on what you want... CT is all effects... both books are well illustrated, written, and a joy to read even if you never perform anything from them. My style seems to have more affinity to CT as it is a bit darker IMHO.... but SC was great for various inspirations as well as I did like the pendulum effects.... CT was really good for Psychostasis (sp!?!) - which you will find Black Hart has created a masterpiece prop for - but there are many cool gambling with the Devil effects in CT that I liked and adapted (especially the one with the Steamboat deck Smile - now I have a nice story of a riverboat gambler and the Devil and nice golden coins for a soul)...

So, my argument is that if you are leaning towards theory and some illustration effects for practice - SC.... if you want a bunch of dark eerie effects - CT... but really - get both!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
As a performance piece or reading for pleasure?

In both cases 'Strange Ceremonies' just by title.

Capricorns sound like something one puts on a salad. Smile

Strange Ceremonies though has the ring of things I'm interested in as a read and in performance would be easily understood by the 'customer'.

I would feel like I had to wear ballet slippers to do Capricorn Tales. Smile

I addressed this very concept in my Blog today...(no, not the slippers.)

By the way...I probably misunderstood the question.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Capricornian Salad - what a concept.... figures it comes from a fellow who creates shrunken heads Smile yum!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Capricorns...a combination of Capers and Peppercorns...not so odd after all. Smile
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
LOL...I have quickly noticed on this Café that everytime Doug Higley posts...I can actually hear his voice. Brilliant!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Eddie my friend that is one hell of a web site! Plus the Tramping Grounds link leads to a dynamic Feegee Mermaid presentation! But this question persists...how does an antique Vent Figure type and create websites without his fingers moving?
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

I was interested in both and will likely get both. They have received great reviews, but not really anything detailed. Most people in the threads here say their favorite book is Capricorn Tales. But in the next breath they say Strange Ceremonies.

I just wanted some ideas of what I am buying. I love to read and these are clearly library "musts" for storytellers and bizarre Magicians.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2006-07-12 12:06, Doug Higley wrote:
Capricorns sound like something one puts on a salad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug...I think that is "capers" on that salad Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Repeating for MoringStar: "Capricorns...a combination of Capers and Peppercorns...not so odd after all."
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Oops, Doug, sorry! I was a bit slow on the uptake, there. *blushing* Smile
Doug Henning
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Dear Doug,
Thanks...typing is no problem...They have strings and levers for everything these days Smile
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
...and pills. In your case though...a pill could be a wooden nickle!

Thanks Eddie...you cut a snazzy Figure!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Morning Star,

Strange Ceremonies is a good bit older than CapTales, and it was written by Eugene Berger so, for those reasons, it may be beneficial to get it first, although Cap Tales is a must have as well.
(but did I ? nooo.... hehe.. in my defense though, I picked up Cap Tales used for about $12 - a bargain)
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Thanks, Mystician! And what bright eyes you have! Smile
Doug Henning
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
444 Posts

Profile of scolman
I don't have Strange Ceremonies but I believe it focuses more on the principles of bizarre magic whilst Capricornian Tales really gives you a lot of workable, tested routines.
You might want to check out Borodin's Sheherezade as well (that's packed with excellent routines too!)

Simon
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Both are good books, and both should be in your library. But if you are just getting one, my recomendation would be to purchase the book written by the author who PERFORMS bizarre magick. Buy Christian's book!

Tony
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I have capricornian tales and I really like. I'm not familiar with the other one yet. Also, morning star, being native american you might want to see my ebook POW WOW in alexandre's website: http://www.eyesandminds.com/store2.htm

Anabelle
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Thank you Simon, Tony, and Anabelle! Your suggestions are most helpful. Simon, I have read several threads praising Borodin's Sheherezade. Might just have to get all three. These books sound like the top three for bizarre magic/storytelling routines.

And to think that some magicians rely on DVDs alone, instead of discovering the hidden treasures found in magic books.
Doug Henning
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I'll have to vouch for Sheherazade too, I have that too (and paid full pop for it Smile )
Borodin has a flair for the intricate, where many of his effects incorporate semi-complicated gizmos or heavily modified props; sometimes even a little bit of electrical wiring is involved, but the ends totally justifies the means.

The title effect itself is just too cool, and gave me my very first decent idea for an original, alternate effect utilizing the same prop (albeit modified differently) and of course a very different premise and presentation altogether.
Just one "warning": Borodin is a bit long-winded; he puts the "air " in "Bizarre" ... Smile ..umm.. yeah..
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
I have them both and wouldn't part with either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » If you had to choose... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL