The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coin Magic- the Quest for Elastic Bands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I used to have a F***ing Quarter, many years ago, but somehow lost it. While browsing a hobby shop recently, I spotted a jeweler's saw, and figured, "Hey! I can make one of my own!" So I picked up the saw, then headed out to the drug store to get the elastic dental bands needed to hold the coin together.

I tried two different Long's Drugs, two Safeways, Walgreens, K-Mart, Target, Jo-Ann's Superstore (crafts section), and OfficeMax (on a whim). Apparently, nobody sells these anymore. About the only place I haven't tried is an actual dentist's office... and I'm not so sure they have them, either.

What's a magician to do? I guess I could buy some finger-cots and lop off the end. Any other ideas?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
These are coverd in the howie diddits section of the banquest room, the dentist might have them, but the ortho dentist will for certain!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Ensign:

Go back to Wal*Mart, but go to the hair products aisle, where pony-tail bands and brushes and so forth are stocked. There you should also find 3/8" ID polyurethane bands apparently sold for the un-Magical purpose of binding hair (I don't speak Gurl, so I'm at a loss to provide further details there). At any rate, I use these bands for my Crystal Tube, and suspect they may be just what you need for your Coin.

BTW, how are you going to mill the groove?

Leland
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Precision Magic always has them in stock, for we make our own Bite coin, but if your looking for mass quantities " Google, Dental suppliers,they don't care that your not a Dentist. 3/16 heavy laytex is the size that best fits a Quarter and they will fit the half, so you don't need two sizes. Hope this helps.

Dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-07-14 10:41, Leland Stone wrote:
Hiya, Ensign:

Go back to Wal*Mart, but go to the hair products aisle, where pony-tail bands and brushes and so forth are stocked. There you should also find 3/8" ID polyurethane bands apparently sold for the un-Magical purpose of binding hair (I don't speak Gurl, so I'm at a loss to provide further details there). At any rate, I use these bands for my Crystal Tube, and suspect they may be just what you need for your Coin.

BTW, how are you going to mill the groove?

Leland

You don't need to mill it. Put it in a padded vise, and gently saw along the edge. You can use a slightly thicker blade for this part of the operation.

I've done this before.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Low-tech, easy, inexpensive -- good Heavens, you've hit the trifecta! I'm gonna give this one a shot! Thanks for the heads-up Smile
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
It's probably obvious, but Bill forgot to mention that it will be MUCH easier to do the groove before you saw the coin...

BTW, I got one in change the other day. Suppose it's yours? Smile Smile
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I actually did do it Bill's way, using the jeweler's saw- and I cut the groove first, too. Still looking for those bands; found a bunch of them (yes, in "hair products" at a drug store), but they're all too wide. There's one more type they carry, so I'm going to spend the $2 and see if those will work.

DoctorAmazo, nice score- more valuable than the regular quarter you should have gotten. I think mine was lost, not spent. The band broke, and I have a hunch the tiny pieces managed to get lost somewhere in the box during one of my moves. I'll store this one inside of an envelope now- I learned my lesson.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
davidj40
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of davidj40
My 14 year old is in braces and those bands can be perfect. There is a larger and smaller size. You probably want the smaller size. An orthodontist, not a dentist, will have these.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coin Magic- the Quest for Elastic Bands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL