The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Ok...I'm not usually the type to bash....I'm of the belief that if someone is doing great in magic then it helps all of magic. But I recently went to my local library (I live in Queens, NY) and saw that David Blaine is on the cover of the a pamphlet being given out to NY libraries. Apparently he's the spokesman for the summer reading program in NY.

Now, this is the type of thing that's going to be in the hands of children--and while I respect his demeanor as a performer (all mysterious and sh**) would it have killed the guy to crack a smile for the cover of this thing? He looks like death warmed over. If I were a kid...well...it certainly wouldn't want to make me want to read...

--Jon
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of giochi
David blaine is supporting the community and trying to get kids to read???? Shame on him. How horrible. What an idiot.
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
Well...You definitely don't know how kids think.
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of giochi
How so?
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Kid think: "Wow, maybe if I'm a stoner like Blaine my lack of personality will get me a TV show too."
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
dranex
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of dranex
Don't be bitter, man. Seriously.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
David Blaine, arguably the biggest name in magic, is using his high-profile status to support a good cause; one which is local to him in NYC, and a tradition of reading which he holds dear to himself from his early studies of library magic books. That's a good thing, period.

Cheers

Chris
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I wouldn't have killed him to smile, but it wouldn't have done the kids any good. Kids don't need a bunch of Barneys as role models. They need real people being themselves and not condescending to them. They need to see serious artists as well as happy clowns.

Out of all the things to bash, this is truly one of the pettiest things I can imagine.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Bravo to Blaine for supporting literacy among children, and his local libraries!
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL