The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Help with doves feathers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

roham92
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of roham92
Hi Magic Café, I have a dove that I got about 3 weeks ago and on his bottom side like the whole part of his body parallel to the floor, his belly are is having kind of a problem, well I don't know if it's a problem actually. I recently realized that when he flys back his feathers on his belly separate and you can see a little of his purple flesh because of the scarce amount of feather there I guess. He's about a month old and well grown. Should I take him to a vet for this because I'm concerned about it. Also he always pecks himself like the cats and dogs lick themselves and I was wondering if this is natural.

Thanks for the help, Roham
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Roham92 - If he is a young dove, it may take a little time for the feathers to fully grow in, especially if he is used to sitting on the bottom of the cage. Its normal. If, however, the dove you have is an older dove, then it may just be hereditary, or mites. Turn the dove over and look at the area, and if you see little tiny black specs, then it is mites, and the best thing to do is get some stuff called "Sevin" from the pet store, and this will cure the problem. It doesn't sound like that is the problem though, you probably just have a young dove. how do you tell if its young? Look at the feet. If they are light pinkish, its a young dove, if they are a darker maroonish color, it is an older dove.

As for it pecking at itself, they do that all the time. They are just preening is all. Cleaning themselves, pulling out old feathers so that new ones can grow in. Its a doves way of grooming.

Hope that helps some.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
To add....just reread your post - You have a month old dove....the feathers will take a while to grown in all over. at about 6 weeks is when most of the feathers will be totally in, and even then sometimes not. I have some new ones that are 9 weeks and they still haven't fully feathered around the beak area and some on the tail, so no worries. Your dove is fine...
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Good answer. That's exactly right. It takes months for a dove to get fully feathered. Some feather faster than others but at only a month, I wouldn't worry about it.
Roham, lift the wings and check the area where they meet the body. You'll probably see the same purple skin there. The "arm pit" is usually the last to get full feathers. Checking for mites isn't a bad idea but I doubt at this point that it's the problem. You'll usually see mites in the wings or around the head.
Where the magic begins
roham92
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of roham92
Thanks everyone for your help, at least now I can stop worrying. And Dave I did look in his armpit area and he definitely doesn't have any feathers there yet but after reading this I'm happy to know there will be.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Help with doves feathers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL