The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Water Torture Cell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Hey everyone,

I have been looking into Illusions and I was wondering if anyone can give me the "4-1-1" on this effect. Is it possible for me to buy this effect and what are the costs? The difficulty and what not. Is it possible for ME to build? I would LOVE information on this effect.

Thanks guys,
Seeker
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
I was doing some research and found this site

http://www.richardsherrysmagic.com/produ......pes.html

It is owned by Richard Sherry who shows up here at the Café. I am now looking at his "CUBED" effect. Anyone able to give me some info on this effect. I plan on E-mailing Mr. Sherry with some questions.

-Seeker
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Richard and sherry would be great to purchase from......

I have a smaller cube of death ..... It is easier for stage, transporting, etc

photos and info on my website...
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I just posted on the Osborne thread the link to water torture cell plans.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Yes, it is possible to build this yourself, but know that it will be an EXCEPTIONALLY heavy prop when filled with water (a prop that will break right through a lot of the stages out there). I perform a similar effect to this, only the tank is laid on it's side. What this does is create a much larger "footprint" for weight distribution. Also, I had a nightmare of a time trying to seal this thing against leaks. This is to say nothing, of course, of the potential safety concerns accosiated with a prop like this. Good luck!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Also be sure to check Mark Cannon's catalogue at http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Feel free to ask me any questions regarding this as well. We have a custom built Water Torture Cell. From what we have researched it is the first and only cylinder. The great thing is that there are NO seams. It is one piece. You can see it in our avatar or you can see a video of it here with Kristen in action:
http://livingillusions.com/?multimedia

Indeed Richard Sherry builds I believe three different full size models. His classic one is a beauty. The wood work is impressive. Willie Kennedy has also built some before.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
I Would Love to build my own. The only issue would be the method (plans). I am not 100% sure on that and would need to purchase that.

I would build a small "cube of death" if you will. I have thought about transport and that's what brought me to Richards site.

Any ideas on where I can get the method?

And Kevin, They cylinder tube sounds amazing! I will drop you an e-mail or PM if you don't mind, about that.

Thanks all!
-Jacob
MikeandChris
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of MikeandChris
Curtis Eugene Lovell II:
Who manufactured your Cube of Death?
Chris Cochrane
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Kevin,

Went to the site and watch the video...WOW! Shes amazing! I never thought of doing the effect in full view. I wanted to do mine with cover, and at the end, appear on the outside of the tank and the tank. (Almost like a sub trunk appearance.

Another question for everyone, is the cuffs. What type of chains/cuffs/restrances do you all recommend. Since I would in under cover, they don't have to be real but able to bear inspection.

-seeker
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Hello Seeker. If you are interested in seeing performance pictures of CUBED some were just posted in the Product Gallery section on our website.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard

P.S. Kevin; Thanks for the kind words.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Richard,

that's one great looking prop! Its a prop and a photo opp all in one. Makes me want to get into the escape business.

Best,

Tim
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
Believe me if you need help with the Water Torture Cell, Kevin and Kristen can be of great assistance to you, I should know because I have pushed that @#$%&#@ thing on and off stage for them and have witnessed the escape up close, its great.
So when is the next tour Kevin, I am in need of a working vacation.

Lance
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Quote:
On 2006-07-14 17:51, Richard Sherry wrote:
Hello Seeker. If you are interested in seeing performance pictures of CUBED some were just posted in the Product Gallery section on our website.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard

P.S. Kevin; Thanks for the kind words.

I saw the pictures and they are amazing. You have some FINE WORK!

I have decided to design my own and build it...sounds scary...I know.

I am still looking for hand cuffs (gimmicked).
Can anyone help me on where to look for QUALITY cuffs that can withstand water?

Thanks EVERYONE for the helP!
-Seeker
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Seeker....
http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/

That is THE place to go for cuffs, locks etc.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hey Seeker,

It sounds like you're fairly new to escapes, espescially underwater ones.

My words of advise are to purchase something from a Professional builder, at least for your first underwater escape. You want the prop to be work absolutely flawless!!!!

If you're interested in "Cubed" I'd save up and buy it from Richard. That way you know that you have a quality prop and it will work every time. Even though the escape looks simple to build. It's not as easy as it looks. Cutting and finishing Acrylic that is that thick is something that requires the right equipment to accomplish, Let alone gluing it up so it looks flawless and still holds water. (Because it's clear you can see EVERY glue joint. On top of this you have the "other" areas that need some knowledge and skill to create also.

I've built many Illusions over the past 20 years, and have a full shop to work in, but when it comes to anything that puts my life on the line, I go to the pros!

Michael
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Kevin (Living Illusions) and his wife have the most gorgeous looking Water Torture Cell I've ever SEEN.

I agree with Mike. Unless you are a professional builder, I would avoid building something like this yourself. There are just too many safety issues involved.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Let me rephrase my statement so that it can be understood.

I will not be building this effect in my garage. I have a company (not magic related) that can build for me this effect for cheap. Curtis has done a great help in pointing me in the right direction as to what to look for and questions to ask. I have a feeling I will have an amazing effect on my hands.

I would like to ask everyone one more question for the moment.
Storage. Where and how do you store such props like this?

As the building process goes on I will keep you all updated.
Thanks for everything,
-Seeker
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Storage, that is entire new trick.....

hehhehehe...
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
Kevin of Living Illusions has the right idea,no seams , as any illusion of this type are very prone to leak especially if you build it yourself or don't understand the needs a prop of this type have. We used one built by what was alledged to be a competent and knowledgeable builder who apparently may have understood construction of wooden props but knew nothing of the properties the plastics rather lexan, acrylic or plex cared and what would make for a water tight prop. We were resealing this thing before each and every show and having to top its water off right befopre show time, and then where it would be kept and where that leaking water was going. And then there is the movement of it, you will need a way to move the tank, which if not made properly will cause flex in the sides as the water sloshes in movement. We currentl have a plastic manufacturer working on our replacement tank, which will have only one seam on the sides and at the bottom, which are welded by then and should allow for no leaks. Kevins version being a tube eliminates leaks in this way. Just my opinion

By the way Kevin beautiful routine on your tank, shows the true pro you and your team are.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Water Torture Cell (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL