The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Criss Angel - Storm Drain illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Sandwichical
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
134 Posts

Profile of Sandwichical
Sadly, in the eyes of the public, magic looses almost all credibility on TV.
-Sandwich
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Well said Sandwich. We have discussed it to death here
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I agree sandwich, I watched the Copperfield DVD and I know how many of the illusions are accomplished. When my friends watched it, they thought it was camera edits and "Bewitched" type of illusions. They are lazy and took the easy way out. Some of my friends only like watching magic to try and figure out the method. Since they don't know many methods, the "Camera edits" is their only explantion when infact it is not.

This clip was not that magical for me. Like Tim stated above
Quote:
on Jul 16, 2006 2:31pm Timothy Drake wrote "I'd give it high marks if not for that BAAAADDDD acting"
roham92
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of roham92
This was a creative use of the camera by criss to do a cool little almost like a gag rather than a trick but it was a pretty good illusion . Its a cool little thign to show on tv and with no editing.
-=Ralph=-
View Profile
Regular user
New York
111 Posts

Profile of -=Ralph=-
Quote:
On 2006-07-16 15:22, Christopher Starr wrote:
I thought that it was original. True, it will end up being a "throw away" thing that he did for tv, but it played well, the average viewing public was probably entertained, so Criss Angel scores again.

I think that a lot of people's opinions of Mr. Angel's effects would change to that of a bit more understanding, if they had to meet the production schedule that he has to pull these things off.

Was it something that we can run out and buy from the magic shop? No.

Is it anything that Criss will do again. No.

But it was a quick, mystifying bit of tv viewing (for regular people)...and robertk4you! Smile

Sorry but Im going to have to disagree with you about the production schedule comment. There are literally thousands of mind bending illusions that he could do legitimately without resorting to camera tricks and stooges.

That said, I love Criss' stage show but his TV show is quickly becomming a Joke and is Hurting Magicians in general. In one aspect it is helping Magic by generating a lot of interest from the public but on another aspect, he is raising the bar so high with the use of camera tricks that any up and cumming young magician will probably have to resort to using camera tricks in order to land a TV special. Is Criss a Magician or a Special effects man?

All in my humble opinion

~R~
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Ralph,

If you've ever been involved in television production you'd know they want it cheap and easy. I think Criss is going for that " you've never seen this before" thing as well.

I still hate the camera tricks and don't watch the show but do know whats its like to be on the other side of a television production.

Best,

Tim
-=Ralph=-
View Profile
Regular user
New York
111 Posts

Profile of -=Ralph=-
Quote:
On 2006-07-17 00:39, Timothy Drake wrote:
Ralph,

If you've ever been involved in television production you'd know they want it cheap and easy. I think Criss is going for that " you've never seen this before" thing as well.

I still hate the camera tricks and don't watch the show but do know whats its like to be on the other side of a television production.

Best,

Tim

Tim!!

I totally understand ,and I Do have some television experiance, but I just hate the fact that Criss has resorted to using such methods to create most of his illusions.
It kind of cheapens the art of magic. I have more to say on the subject but I'm afraid it would be to long winded ha-ha!!

Pleasure talking to you!

Ralph
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Ralph,

If you want to read lots of complaining about the Camera Magic stuff just look at some of my posts. LOL

I still can't figure out why so many magicians are mesmerized by this stuff. I appreciate Criss much more as a televison producer than an illusionist. Hopefully we'll get to see some real magic presented live someday.

Best,

Tim
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Quote:
On 2006-07-16 22:18, muzicman wrote:
I agree sandwich, I watched the Copperfield DVD and I know how many of the illusions are accomplished. When my friends watched it, they thought it was camera edits and "Bewitched" type of illusions. They are lazy and took the easy way out. Some of my friends only like watching magic to try and figure out the method. Since they don't know many methods, the "Camera edits" is their only explantion when infact it is not.

This clip was not that magical for me. Like Tim stated above
Quote:
on Jul 16, 2006 2:31pm Timothy Drake wrote "I'd give it high marks if not for that BAAAADDDD acting"

Your friends are not unique in their indifference to magic performed on tv. It is easy for the general public to explain away how a trick was done by assuming it was a camera trick. This is precisely why it has always been so difficult to get magic shows on tv, because most tv execs have been under the same impression, that is, that the general viewing public isn't interested.

Yet when people see these same illusions performed in a theatre, depending on the performer, they are so impressed with what they see, because they know that it is happening right there, in front on them! This is why people like Criss Angel are trying so hard to duplicate their stunts ina seemingly "real world setting" - on the street corner, etc. - all in an attempt to get the tv audience to feel like it can't be a camera trick, he did it on a crowded street.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
So, let's take this in a new direction- though we may have to move it to Secret Sessions or Triple Dare....

The effect is quite good and a fun idea.

How could we move this to a live stage setting... either with a manhole, or door, which someone enters through and moments later rolls up revealing a solid wall??? Or perhaps the reverse effect- where one unrolls a door or a hole, which moments later becomes functional.

Sometimes it is far more interesting and useful to use something like this as a creative springboard. Suppose one did a normal "coin, salt shaker or whatever-through-table" but placed a "portable hole" on the table first, and pass things through it. Later you stick it to the ceiling only to have an object fall out of it onto the floor.

Copperfield has used the edge of the tv screen in the same way one might use a table ledge or edge of the stage to assist in dirty work, so I see things like the manhole as using the media in which it is presented. I don't think it's the same as editing or cutting a scene to create the magic.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
-=Ralph=-
View Profile
Regular user
New York
111 Posts

Profile of -=Ralph=-
Quote:
On 2006-07-17 02:06, Timothy Drake wrote:
Hi Ralph,

If you want to read lots of complaining about the Camera Magic stuff just look at some of my posts. LOL

I still can't figure out why so many magicians are mesmerized by this stuff. I appreciate Criss much more as a televison producer than an illusionist. Hopefully we'll get to see some real magic presented live someday.

Best,

Tim

Tim!

I think that we are on the same page ha-ha!! I'll have to go back and read some of your posts!!

I have recently come back to learning magic after a 23 year layoff. I decided years ago to stop performing because I enjoyed watching other people perform magic much more. I never really lost touch with watching magic but for some reason I have recently become interested in performing again.
That said, I find is so disheartening that some of the newer breed of magicians are using camera tricks for their illusions instead of doing them legitemetely.
Being that I am a part time proffesional musician, this is no different then me standing on stage pretending to play while using a cd in a background. What upsets me the most is the amount of magicians who are ok with guys like Angel using camera tricks.

And just for the record for anyone reading this, I actually like Criss. His stage show is brilliant so I can't see why he is taking this path. (well I guess I can see why but I don't have to like it!!)

Always a pleasure talking to you!

Ralph
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2006-07-17 08:01, leapinglizards wrote:

How could we move this to a live stage setting... either with a manhole, or door, which someone enters through and moments later rolls up revealing a solid wall??? Or perhaps the reverse effect- where one unrolls a door or a hole, which moments later becomes functional.

Think Mirror penetration. The old pencil through the card frame. This method could be utilized under the right circumstances onstage.
The effect Cris did was really limp.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
I laughed when I saw the effect on A&E not to give away the secret (not my intent) nor do I intend on being fooled, I realized once you start performing magic, you enjoy watching magic in a different way, so I don't think we should be anti-criss because he doesn't fool us, we'd have to hate a lot of people if that were the case. But back to the effect, I feel that effect could have gone over better, at least for lay people, if they have done it with a manhole that didn't have scratched pavement around it, I felt the white scratches on the pavement were a dead giveaway.
ziffkher
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of ziffkher
I have PM to you as how this trick is done from my own deduction, after watching the video clip.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Regardless of the method, don't you think it was a BRILLIANT CONCEPT/EFFECT?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Wouldn't it be cool if in his Cirque produced live show, to have a manhole built into the aisle of the theater, and then if there was a way for him to accomplish the effect there!

that'd be cool!

scott
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I'm with you Pete!
It was a brilliant moment in the history of TV Magic. Simple premise with impossible ending.
I admired it and notice... people will continue to talk about that effect for a long time.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
I liked the idea a lot. The ens result too. Just the progression at getting there is what I didn´t like. Maybe they didn´t spend enough time for planning?
styck13
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of styck13
As immediate way to use this or somthing like it on stage is when/if you go to intermission. Do something simular to what Copperfield does. If you need to stretch your legs or go to the bathroom feel free to do so, if not we've put together this video for you to watch. We'll be back in X minutes. in addition to that you could throw in some street/close-up stuff. When the video is over..the show restarts...

the question is...who are you tryin to entertain? The Masses or other Magicians. If you're only seeing the vid once..it's unlikely that it'll be figured out. watching it over and over again makes it a little easier to figure it out.

That's my 2 cents.
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
I think this was soemthing he quickly came up with to add an interesting visual, strictly for tv though.

Brian
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Criss Angel - Storm Drain illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL