The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Silver Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Take them to someone who does "Bronzing." I don't think you will be able to put the lids on the cups after, it's done, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In this case the lids are critical. The cups with lids make containers for the balls. The fun part of all this is building in a shim and rattle mechanism. Think two D's with something sliding between to rattle when shook in the right direction.

Yeah all this because it really looks strange to carry empty ice cream containers. Especially when they are used to contain a small ball-like object. I almost wish small sponges looked more like cherries.

Frustrated in NY,

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-07-18 13:36, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Yeah all this because it really looks strange to carry empty ice cream containers. Especially when they are used to contain a small ball-like object. I almost wish small sponges looked more like cherries.

Frustrated in NY,

Jon

Jon
take some 1" sponges and matching red thread, sew a small cross stitch knot on one side sponge and needle it through to the otherside. Pull the thread just taught enough to make a small dimple. If you go to a craftstore ie Michaels, AC Moore etc, you can find faux fruit with stems, the rough tip of the stem can be inserted and will hold until you want to remove the stem.

I've made sponge Tomatoes using the same method and it works great.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Cool idea! I'll have to file that one away in my memory banks. Thanks!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

For some reason that reminds me of the Rezvani tomatoes.

Anyone good at making sponge rocks?
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Jonathan,

Try gray weather stripping foam. You should be able to trim it to any shape you want.

Chris
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2006-07-18 12:28, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Actually I'm working on using Haagen Dazs four ounce cups and getting very frustrated. Anyone up for doing this stuff? Looking to get the cup and lid silvered then clear coated. ( yes I expect to pay for this service )

Interesting, Jonathan, I'm working on Haagan Dazs cups, too. So far, I have 487 available.Smile Make that 488.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Up you are saving them too? the four ounce size? I have about a dozen here. Can you get them silvered? (need the lid too)

If you want, let's discuss the specifics via PM or email.... bizarre territory.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to an art store and buy some ALUMINUM paint. I used to use it to paint over car bumpers after we gave them a cheap spray paint job...to restore that "chrome" look.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Electroless nickel plating is a non pours plating method which adheres better and last longer but you will normally only find it in bigger industrial cities. It is superior to all other methods.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2006-07-19 00:13, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Electroless nickel plating is a non pours plating method which adheres better and last longer but you will normally only find it in bigger industrial cities. It is superior to all other methods.

I would like to see someone get electroless nickel plate to adhere to a plastic / wax coated paper container. Smile

The container needs to be a conductor. Nice try.

In addition, Electroless Nickel Plate is a Matt finish, not a mirror finish. This can be modified to an extent, by running the parts through additional processes / baths.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Caswell plating has all sorts of do it yourself plating, but the wax on the cups is going to pose a big problem. A lot of arts and crafts store sell what they call Sterling Silver spray paint, it's really not but has a nice finish, the only metalic spray paint I have ever really found to work was a copper paint.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Was on the phone for about 90 minutes or so with Ben & Jerry's legal dept. I bascially told them that their containers were something that could be used for magic and wanted to know what the copyright issue was with the containers. What it boiled down to is this, as long as there is no image, mention or implication of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, there was no copyright or patent on the actual shape of the container.

It would not be much work to create the container and lid out of aluminum. I wouldn't venture to make it out of brass or copper due to the cost, but aluminum wouldn't be all that expensive to do. I'd be willing to take on this venture if there was enough interest in the containers with lids. I'm not trying to compete with Jim Riser's Ramsey cups, those are Jim's baby's but if there is an interest for containers with lids, might be worthwhile persuing.

Jake
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Hey everyone, thanks for you input on cups. I recently purchased the PF SS cups from RNTII magic and couldn't be happier! they were a joy to work with! I recieved the cups in 2 days and the packaging was immaculate! THANKS RNTII
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a way to plate on paper, but you have to fudge to do it. It's done by coating the paper with a conductor, such as graphite. The bond is only as good as the bond of the graphite to the paper, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Thanks Bill, and Jake.

I would have to experiment with even very thin walled metal cups for the Ramsay routine. Part of the fun is being able to do it without a closeup pad. The cup toss load move is a very touchy thing all by itself. It has the advantage of seeming to be a casual drop of the cop onto the table. That's why I went quiet when Jim Riser suggested metal cups. The Haagen Dazs/Ben and Jerry's cups with lids seem fine for the trick. It's the bizarre presentation that would benefit from them looking like impossibly light metal.

Frustrated in NY, I'll ask for Jakes number offline.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think the Ramsay routine is terrific and had a set of cups custom spun by Mike Brazil years and years ago.
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Since my name has been dragged in to this discussion, I'll make a few comments. In the 40+ years I performed magic I never once worked a gig where the tables were not covered with a table cloth or at the minimum a place mat. Many places used both at their tables. Admittedly I chose to perform at higher class locations as the pay was better. This means that I never saw an uncovered table.

Ramsay performed his routine on a bare wood surface. If a performer feels compelled to replicate the "exact" Ramsay routine, this performer would need to carry around a board as the working surface. I do not walk around carrying boards. If you are performing in a pizza place or in the kitchen for the workers, I suppose you would find your bare surface. Since I am a very practical person, I prefer to carry around only the cups and not a board. The extreme lightness of the paper cups is only important to one performing on a bare surface. With a table cloth or place mat on the table, light weight metal cups work just fine for the routine. Since Jonathan has never tried the routine with metal cups, he is not really in a position to judge their usefulness. His viewpoint is all guess work - theory. As I have indicated on the info sheet that comes with my Ramsay style cups, they are the most delicate cups I have ever made. This translates into "rather light weight". Any thinner and the cups would be impractical. These cups are sold out anyway so this is not a sales pitch.

Now, since Jonathan insists upon using cheap lightweight paper cups, I'll explain how to improve the situation with them. First of all, not all such paper containers are wax coated. Many are coated with a thin plastic film. This makes a huge difference when trying to make them look like metal. These plastic coated containers could be spray painted with no problems; but there is another way. If I wanted to spiffy up such humble containers, I'd carefully measure the two diameters of the cup and plug them in to a cone pattern software program. This program will output a pattern for the required cone. This pattern would be printed out and transferred to self adhesive mylar film (available in sheets or rolls). The film would be cut with the correct curves with a little length added on the end of the pattern for an overlap at the seam. The cut mylar would be carefully wrapped around the cone portion of the cup to give a better appearance. This would add very little to the total wieght of the cups and still allow working on the board that Jonathan wants to carry around with him. The cups would appear to be metal. The required plastic coated cups may be obtained from a distributor of such items.

It is my personal feeling that we should try to build upon the work of those who went before us and adapt/improve things whenever we can to meet current performing conditions. Making such changes or experiments is called risk taking. Sometimes the risks pay off in improved props and performances. Sometimes they do not. Often it is merely the individual performer who makes the difference. Knocking items without trying them is certainly not the way to progress.
Jim
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Sorry, Jonathan, I was just teasing. I thought the 487, 488 count of ice cream cups would give it away.

It is an interesting idea, however.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK, here is what I assume based on "when and where" -- My bet is Ramsay BRUSHED aluminum paint as spray cans were probably not invented yet.

That is what I plan to do as I am selling my custom made Ramsay cups (made just for me) to the Cups & Balls Museum.

My feeling is if you want to "do Ramsay" you should be accurate and do it like he did... PERIOD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Silver Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL