We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 'Super'natural and 'Para'normal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
How about to the general public though? Why does a certain ad campaign work?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
G'morning - I'd therfore assert your comments on art are very similar to how people want to view phenomena as supernatural or natural... it is all subjective - if you want to argue science can explain a telephone COMPLETELY then again the experiment above is a reductionistc step to qualify what is good and bad art statistically - if you start arguing suddenly now that doesn't count and its all too subjective - it applies to everything else too - life is art....

And Scott brings up an excellent point driving home this again - ad campaigns based on stats and reviews of people because they know it helps sells products -> cause and effect. Will it work on everyone? No... but they want the majority to fall for it - the target audience with the needs and the $..... science! (Thanks Scott!)

Yep, natural and suprenatural are all the same - supernatural just means someone feels something is still mysterious and unexplainable - and in this imperfect world - that schism is the only thing that you can count on Smile...

Since I have now repeated this premise a gazillion times, I'm going to stop - Jimtron, you can go on. I'd rather talk about some of the other cool things the thread spawned like how psychics and skeptics can act as mutualistic organisms for profit on dealing with the supernatural.... and how it helps inform theoretical basis for the construction of magic effects.

Ciao guys.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
For Sightings....im Tim White
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Good post Corona.

Jim

H.O.
A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Popularity and/or subjective "like" or "dislike" do not define art. Art does have descernable criteria which, no surprise, vary depending on one's perspective. But they are not the criteria of "is it liked?"
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, GA
304 Posts

Profile of Graymatter_Fireworks
I'm sure many "dislike" Marcel Duchamp's "The Fountain", but it is one of my favorite pieces in art.

-Brandon Bell
"The social world in which we live, determines our experience of what is real." - John Gager
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Becasue of the piece or because of what it... uh... stirs up?
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, GA
304 Posts

Ha! Good one Tom.

I would say I like what it stands for, but that would prove to make out to be a bit too... eh, eccentric.

In all seriousness though, I like the boundaries it smashed ( or would that be flushed?) in relations to the art world.

-Brandon
"The social world in which we live, determines our experience of what is real." - John Gager
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Tom good to see you back in these discussions.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Strange thing, I never cared for the piece or what it stirred up until I found out some guy was bent on defacing it, and has been trying for decades. I really thought it wasn't art at all just a joke, and then all of a sudden I can see it as art, of sorts. So I would guess that it always was art just like things that are, are always natural and it is only the need to label unexplained things which creates the supernatural monicre.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Oui, Tom oui!

By the way - anyone want to buy into the notion that our universe is one big piece of art?
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, GA
304 Posts

So then Dr, under that concept, who would be the artist?
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Me.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2006-07-20 01:15, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Me.

Yikes!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Ah! The first flush of Post-Modernism.

R. Mutt

Sentimentalist.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Who indeed!

Of course, there is a small possibility we are all in Jim/Jack's dream and we better not let him wake up....or phhtt
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Smile
You have to see that one for yourself.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
What? my post has been turned to a X puppet?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Wow - that was almost as trippy as the last scene in 2001: a Space Odyssey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 'Super'natural and 'Para'normal (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL