We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Illustrated History of Magic by Milbourne Christopher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Hey gang,

I just obtained a copy of this book from eBay, and I am impressed with what I have read thus far. Has anyone else read this book? I was kind of disappointed when I opened the package as I thought I was receiving the new updated version with the forward by David Copperfield, but after skimming through it, I was really fascinated with reading about the history of this wonderful art that we love so much. I am only on page 50 something right now, but I plan on having this book finished by next week at the latest. What really blew me away was the dedication at the beginning "For Phil Thomas, who as a boy was my first partner in magic." Smile Just seeing MY NAME there even though this is a different person was really cool. It was almost like I was meant to have this book..and you know what? I'm honored to have this classic to add to my ever growing collection of magical memoribilia.

:cheers:

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
There were two books I attribute to my beginning in magic. Over 20 years ago while at a library in Harrisonburg, VA I checked out this book and Charles Pecor's The Craft of Magic. Shortly there after I got Mark Wilson's Book the Complete Course in Magic and I was hooked.

The Illustrated History of Magic is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I have owned this book for about ten years... I have read it probably 75 times.

I think anyone who ever decides to perform magic should read this wonderful book.

After the day I had on the Café today, I'm delighted that someone cares that it even exists.

Thank you Phil, you're almost restoring my faith in the future of magic... almost.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Hey magicfish, I'm almost glad to help....almost. Smile

This book is awesome! I didn't get to bed last night until around 4:30am because I was up reading and could not put it down. And D Byrd, I too have Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic...what a wonderful book choc full of wonderful routines for the beginner, to working pro. The Illustrated History is going to cost me many sleepless nights, but it is worth it. After I finish this, I think I'll purchase the new updated copy as well. Happy reading to all!

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
rocky424
View Profile
New user
Boca Raton, FL
54 Posts

Profile of rocky424
Anyone familiar with the "Panorama of Magic" book also by Milbourne Christopher? I have this one. Is this in any way similar to the "Illustrated History of Magic"? How does it compare?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Illustrated History of Magic by Milbourne Christopher (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL