We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio Appearing Candle Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Have you ever had problems with your appearing candle being sluggish. I looked up the problem in Fantasio's book "My Canes and Candles" and he suggest extending the candle farther out and holding it with a piece of tape or rubber band for a couple of days. I also wiped the candle with a wet cloth just to clean it off.

Any other suggestions?

David Williams
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Make sure to store your appearing candle open or extended. The vanishing candles should be wound slightly and wrapped with a rubber band when storing. If you are having these problems having stored them properly, just replace them.

Even a slugish appearing candle can have great uses depending on how fast it needs to appear in the act. I no longer produce such candles in a *flash* without cover of something. Even thought they can be produced and appear with the speed of a appearing candle, I produce them slowly.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Ok, so store APPEARING candles in the extended position, and store VANISHING candles in the extended position, and rubber band them so they don't fly back to the collapsed position. And this will make them appear/vanish faster? I am working on a routine simmular to Lance Burtons, and I need my candle to vanish when I throw a flame in the air. (Flash paper goes up to quickly, so I am using match heads. They light, and stay lit for a few seconds. Enough to go up in the air, and fall to the floor. All that while it is still lit. That is when I make the candle vanish.) But I will be doing this bare handed, no silks. So I need it to do down quickly, but it cant snap and then fly out of my hand. (This is a problem I am having.) Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is there any better alternative instead of match heads? (Maybe some sort of slow burning flash paper? or maybe flash cotton goes slower? I don't know.)
Thanks.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-07-28 11:58, Cory Gallupe wrote:
Ok, so store APPEARING candles in the extended position, and store VANISHING candles in the extended position, and rubber band them so they don't fly back to the collapsed position.

No, the vanishing candles are stored wrapped semi-tight around their fuel chambers and held shut with a rubber band. The appearing candle is stored extended.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sluggish action is usually do to the candle being dirty. Us soap and water and wash the candle. This should bring it back to good working condition. You can usually tell it's dirty by little gray spots appearing on the candle. Keep the candle in a plastic bag when not being used.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Ok, thanks Randy.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Randy is correct and gives great advice here. I would also reccomend you checking out Fantasio's book and or DVDs that he did as a lecture at the Magic castle. he covers off on a lot of the maintenance of the candles and canes and it has been a very valuable investment for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Yes, I heard. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Fantasio a few weeks ago in Miami. I bought his color changing/vanishing candle. I also have an appearing cane from a David Ginn lecture a while back. I also attended his lecture, (Which I think is taped on the IBM website) and he has some great ideas. I will have to get that book.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
His book is also a wonderful resource. you will really enjoy it. Keep me posted.

kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Cory
I was curious about how you like the cc candle? Can you produce red candle, change to white, then vanish candle into a white silk as described. I perform a basic die ball silk color change and was thinking about a routine such as: vanishing cane to black silk, color change black silk to red, produce red candle from silk (set in candle holder), vanish red silk and then vanish white candle into white silk, produce white ball and go into multiplying billard balls?
I appreciate all comments.
Thanks
Ken
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
With appearing canes or candles, everything mentioned above, and one more thing, with it fully extended hold the top, and twist the bottom so the candle is very tight, then wrap the rubberband around the base. This will get you the quick, beautiful appearances you are looking for.
Aim To Amaze
dalmvis
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
9 Posts

Profile of dalmvis
Hello,

Maybe I can use this topic for my question, also about an appearing candle. It must be possible to appear a 'lit' candle, but how? There is a kind of hole (of metal) but which kind of wick/fuse (I hope this is the right word in Enlish Smile - you can use? And....if the candle appeares, because of the speed/wind, my candle doesn't lit anymore... ;-(... I have a special holder from Fantasio, but it doesn't work fine.) I think I'm doing something wrong, any help is welcome. Thx and regards from the Netherlands, Arturo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio Appearing Candle Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL