We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best effects for a serious performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
I do not post very much because unless I have something very usefull to say IMHO I
just don't say anything. I have not seen a better web site for mentalists than The Magic Café. Thank you to all the contributors. I have created what I consider an
impressive act as a mentalist based on a single premise which I suggest that you may want to consider. I perform as a "blind" person, wearing dark glasses and carrying a cane. If you had to do that what effects would you perform? The audience will be very impressed and will find you very believable. At the end of your act you have a choice..do I reveal that I am not really blind or do I let them believe that I really am? Nevertheless, if you were blind what effects would you perform? I assure you that this would help you choose wisely for a serious performance.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1358 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
What an interesting concept!.Though think further down the line when you will need to market,promote your show,doing interviews and ets surely your on stage character would be exposed.In that respect it would be rather hard to sell as nobody would believe that you were actually blind and maybe this would make your act less believable.Short term though very unique idea,revealing your "secret" could creat a very dramatic moment (Anyone see the movie Unusual Suspects Smile)

In regards to the question,Im not positive I know what you mean.I assume if you were to perform your regular act they would be equally impressed blind or not because at the end of the day your reading their minds regardless of sight or no sight.Still though could have great presentational idea's using this concept. Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It is a slippery slope.

Revealing that you are not blind at the end destroys the impact of everything you did as they asume you did it because you could see. It also destroys your credability as a performer and a person as what kind of person would play disabled for entertainment? Some would assume that you did this to gain sympathy.

If you do not, when you are discovered, and you will be, you will be percieved in very negative light.

If you wish to proceed with this premise, just wear a blindfold throughout the act. You will have most of the same affect, but none of the stigma.

As for the act, do what you normally would do. It appears much more difficult if you cannot see.

Tony
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1358 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Tony would it appear more difficult?

Would it seem more difficult for a blind person to read your mind than a man with sight? I'm not so sure...
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Maddened
I'm kind of with Grobbelaar. The point of a mental act is that you're reading minds, predicting the future, basically getting information from means other than your 5 senses. So blindfolding oneself isn't going to add an additional dimension that isn't already there.

Plus a blindfold is like a metaphor in a story. A single good metaphor in a story becomes very powerful while a story with nothing but metaphors doesn't stand out. Personally as an audience I think I would be more impressed if the blindfold is used judiciously, for certain effects like Russian Roulette (with knives) for example.

I think if the effect requires you to use your sight after you some how already sensed the information you wanted with your "psychic abilities" or whatever, then the blindfold would be great. For instance: Having 5 audience members on stage, and getting them to drop a small personal item into a bag, after which you blindfold yourself, take each item from the bag and not only identify the owner, but also (while blindfolded) hand each item to the correct person, pretending that you're using your psychometry powers to determine where each person is standing.

Ok just my 2 cents'.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Hi Carolini: Mentalism by its very nature is what I call a "True Lie." A "True Lie" is one so carefully crafted and carried out that the audience is convinced that the lie is real (for a further dicussion of my True Lie principle, see Kenton Kneppers Wonder Words). Mentalism calls for you, the performer,instilling in your audience the belief that you are truly capable of doing what you do, no matter how you feign denying it, whether it be telepathy, precognition, etc.

I am concerned that you go beyond the "True Lie" in that you do not portray a mentalist doing his/her routines, but, for whatever reason you have, a severly handicapped person performing for the audience. As Tony Iacoviello said,when you are uncovered, which you will be, your stage, party or whatever career is finished. It is too big a lie to be carried out day in and day out, and to what purpose you do not really reveal to the forum.

If you are truly interested in standing out from other Mentalists, then do what the greats have done, develop unique and unusual routines, and a stage style that is you not some handicapped person you are not. It will truly be a handicap if you continue down the path you are going. Enough said. Best Regards, Marelli
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4350 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Of course, there is the alternative solution.

You could always deliberately gouge out both your eyes.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Robin DeWitt
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Robin DeWitt
Quote:
On 2006-07-21 00:31, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Of course, there is the alternative solution.

You could always deliberately gouge out both your eyes.

As is your wont...cut to the chase.

Robin DeWitt
I am the fakir, you....
<BR>Robin DeWitt
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
To add to Philemon's excellent idea - gouge your eyes at the beginning of the show for the specs and hand them out for examination - then "see through" the eyes as part of the mindreading.... (oops that is a Spooky thread thought)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Think of the peeks you could get.
Hello.
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
A mentalism act should have a "premise" or unifying theme" to connect the routines. I commend you for searching for a "premise" that works for you and you are comfortable with.

Yet, I would be very uncomfortable claiming to be blind. After your show, you either have to play the part off stage ... or admit you can see. Neither seems very practical to me.

An option would be to claim that as a young person you had an terrible "accident" ... and the accident left you without some normal mental abilities but also gave you some additional, strange mental abilities.

Again, search for a "theme" you can live with on and off the stage.

Chuck Hickok
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Carolini,

How about this as a premise?

Everyone has heard that the other senses of a blind person are enhanced to compensate for the loss of sight. You might say that as a child you heard that and wanted to see if it worked, so you blindfolded yourself for a day to see if your other senses would improve. What you found was that while your other senses didn't improve, you did discover a sense you didn't realize you had... a psychic sense. That psychic sense is enhanced while blindfolded, but othewise overwhelmed by your sense of sight (and prehaps some of your audience may find they, too, have a hidden psychic sense).

This would allow you to use a blindfold throughout your show and even get some volunteers involved (blindfolded) if you include any routines in which the spec demonstrates "psychic" abilities.

Regards, Steve
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
It looks like this thread quickly took a turn seeing as the original question asked about what effects would suit this performance (and the topic title doesn't even mention being blind). You'd think that after I just said this I would answer the original question, but I'm not going to.

I had an idea in reading all of your posts and concerns. This may be a winning solution for Carolini or just an interesting presentational idea for you all to ponder...

Let's say you didn't ever mention that you were blind but instead performed the first half of your show with sunglasses on. Maybe they think you're just a cool, hip mentalist. Halfway through the show, however, you remove your sunglasses and they see that you've had silver dollars taped over your eyes the entire time. Removing the coins, you could talk about perception and mental set and really let the idea that you were essentially "blind" for the whole show sink in. Afterwards you could do some effects that involve audience members "receiving" thoughts just so your own credibility doesn't diminish.

A problem I can see with this is that after a while of doing this show, people are going to talk and your audience will know your blind in the beginning which, while still amazing, will take away some of the shock. I don't know. I think it's an interesting concept and perhaps deserving of a little thought.

But good luck, Carolini, with however this turns out.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
If you present yourself as blind and it is later shown you are not the politically correct police will have your head.

Still, I admire the original thinking here...keep working like that and you will have a hook no one else will.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Love the idea!

Pay no minds to the politically correct police.

HERE'S TO CREATIVE AND UNCONVENTIONAL THOUGHT!
xxx
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-07-21 17:38, icy_rabbit wrote:
Pay no minds to the politically correct police.

While I hate the "PC" police as bad as the next guy, but if you want to keep your job or your show you had better respect them.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
It might be different in Canada.

Here the PC police can, and do, make a lot of trouble. They are vocal, quarrelsome meddlers. If you present yourself as blind and are not you are certain to get several loud complaints to the sponsors. You may as well fake a handicap parking permit.

You will not be hired there again.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
No, they will not take your head - they will take your eyes
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
PC Police. I've been called a lot worse. Smile

I wear the badge with pride!

Officer Tony
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
I am completely wierded out by this thread. About two years ago I was at a dinner with Dan Harlan and several members of the Orange County I.B.M. ring. One of the people at the table described doing an act where he acted as a blind man and did a whole mentalism act with that premise. Dan Harlan tore the thing apart. He pointed out that not all blind people wear dark glasses, he also pointed out several of the things that others in this thread have pointed out.

So let me try to actually answer this thread but taking in all of the things people have said and answering the first post.

How about you where in your early teens. You came down with a rare form of meningitis that left you blind for two years. No one knew when or if you would ever regain your sight so you began training. You learned to do all of the things a newly blind person would. You learned to use a cane, reading your environment and you also learned brail. On and on. But then you realized that your training had tripped something in your brain and that it was taking the lessons to the extreme in fact you could read actual items that people where holding in the air. You could read books that were not in brail.

You want to try to demonstrate that you can still do these things. Voila it’s a blindfold act with a great premise. You wouldn’t really be able to show this now as you have regained your vision, so you are going to purposefully impair your vision. So now you could do the identify an item act, a book test, you could even do a design duplication.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best effects for a serious performance (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL