The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Extra coin switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
OK, I have 2 tricks that I figure should go together because they both (seemingly) use 3 half-dollers. At the end of the first one, I am left with 3 half-dollers on the table and an extra coin (English Penny) palmed in my right hand.

Now for the next trick, I need to have an extra half-doller palmed in my right hand.

How would I switch the 2 extra coins for one another between the tricks?

Right now I'm just putting both hands into my pockets, as if I'm trying to think of something else to do, then suddenly remembering that I have another trick I can do with the coins on the table. During that time, I have switched the coins in my right pocket.

It works OK, but I'm sure there must be a better way. Thank you in advance!
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Personally I like switching in a pocket between tricks but if you don't then there are some other options

-use a coin mat and place the second coin under the bottom right corner of the mat, when the first trick is over switch them under misdirection.

-place the second coin under your watch and when you finish the first trick "check the time"

-attach the second coin to your pant leg just above where your jacket stops. When you finish the first trick drop your right hand down towards your side and casually pick off the second coin, palm the second and sleeve the first. Or you could build a little pocket into your pants just above where your pocket reaches to and instead of sleeving you could drop the first coin in when you remove the second.
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
It's hard to say what's best without knowing the exact handling and effects you're looking at now, but why not just use a C/S coin? For the first part, the coin can pose as a copper coin throughout the routine (even though its C/S property doesn't actually have anything to do with this effect) and for the second part, the same coin can pose as a silver coin throughout the routine (even though the C/S property has nothing to do with THIS effect, either).

Cheers,

Lance
Jay Sane
View Profile
New user
NY, USA
16 Posts

Profile of Jay Sane
I like Lances idea! A nice subtle use of the C/S! IMO much cleaner than a switch, but as said we do not know what the rest of the handling is.

If you want to switch the best thing you can do is perform the first routine for a camera, play it back and make careful note of all your movements, where your hands rest and so on, you just may find a perfect place for a switch that wont require any extra moves!
Justin Sane
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
The C/S idea won't actually work for me. For the first trick, the whole point is that the coins are real. Same goes for the second one. Nice thought though.
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
If you don't want to go to use your pockets at all, you could ditch the Penny using Bobo's complete coin vanish and have the fourth half on a coin clip. I use a homemade clip alot; they're very handy.
I don't know your routine of course, but it needn't be a "flourishy" vanish of the Penny if that doesn't fit the trick; maybe do it casually as you roll-up your sleeves before the next effect.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27017 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
one ordinarily moves the set between scenes, and moves actors around in blackout when needed.

similarly you might consider any additional props at good cover for setting up for your effects.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Extra coin switch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL