The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Men and Educated Women (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Are you sure, Noel? 'cause that would be really cool!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Margarette,
Did you ever consider it's because your a magician? Let's face it, who'd want to date one of those? Blah!
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I'm not sure about the magician part. Most guys think it's cool that I do magic. However, they don't think it's cool that I earned an engineering degree (wow, you must be smart!). Again, things were fine when I was the church secretary, but God forbid I actually get a job in my educational field of study! And this isn't just from the social aspect. Several contractors I deal with find it difficult to take orders from a woman. However, my name is on the forms as Project Manager. I wear the white hard hat...I conduct the meetings...I'm the one that has to guarantee the owner gets what they are paying for. If something goes wrong, I'm the one that has to answer to the owner! I don't have this attitude of "I'm in charge, you HAVE to listen to me!" I do have someone overseeing me since this is my first project with this company, and occasionally, he has to take the reins. When he tells the contractor the exact same thing I've said three times previous, they listen to him. It's frustrating!
For the past three years I've been trying to find someone who shares my interest in classic cars...not owning one...rebuilding one. I don't know the first thing about rebuilding one, but have been given my grandfather's car and want to restore it. I've had offers to rebuild it for me (they'll do the labor free, I just pay for the parts), but when I mention the fact that I want to take part in the restoration, offers then go out the window.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Margarette,
We've never met, yet I can tell you that you are wasting your time with those bums. Drop them like bad habits as soon as you can and quit banging your head against the wall. They won't change.

I have always let my wife run the hotel in Guadalajara. She has faced the same types of discrimination because she is "the woman in charge." The male employees used to ignore here thinking "Bah, she's just a woman...", but not now. Those that did disrespect her felt the short end of the stick; mainly the "in your face" corrective actions, and terminations. They had no choice but to treat her with respect or hit the road. And if they came to me with their "problems", I told them that I take them as "personal insults" when they do things to upset my wife. (The looks on their faces were priceless!)

You see...we own the hotel lock, stock, and barrel. That's why she has the upper hand. Smile
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
Quote:
On 2006-07-24 22:34, Josh Riel wrote:
Are you sure, Noel? 'cause that would be really cool!

Yes definitely CS not CL
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Margarette,

Hang in there girl. Mr. Right is out there for you. Trust me, I know. For years I thought there was no one for me, but the universe had other plans.

Take a look at my marriage...

Some people might wonder who is smarter, me or my wife. To the casual observer, most people would pick me. After all I am a physics teacher who understands Einstein's Relativity. I must be very smart. But I am not really all that smart. It takes me a while to learn something new. I have a great memory for trivia, but I forget my appointments if I don't write them down.

As to my wife, She is an accountant. She knows all about money. People think that as a physics teacher, my knowlege of algebra should make me a money whiz. It does not, and I can barely balance a check book. Myt wife learns hard stuff faster than me. Much faster.

Could I learn to be an accountant? Probably, but I would be sweating blood trying to learn. Could my wife learn "relativity"? Maybe, but she'd never learn to love the concepts behind it.

Bottom line is we are both smart in our own way. She is the methodical logical thinker, and me the mad scientist with my mind in the stars.

You can still find the one who complimnets you...I bet he is out there.

Hang in...

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Sylver Fyre
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
152 Posts

Profile of Sylver Fyre
Margarette I feel your pain. But think about this, do you really want to be with someone that can't keep up in the conversation? Or someone who can't contribute with their own educated opinion? If you find a man that is intimidated by your brains and independence don't fret(most likely he has a reason to feel insecure), just keep moving and having fun. The moment you aren't looking for Mr Right is when you will find him. Don't settle for someone who doesn't value an education.
There are plenty of men out there that do and when the time is right you will find the one you were meant to meet. (Yea, I do believe in a bit of serendipity)
I finally met an intellegent man who wasn't arrogant about his IQ, and guess what he likes the fact that I have red hair and a brain... and my own handcuffs...
Sylver Fyre

"Do not warm yourself by the fire, become the flame"
---------------------------------------------
www.knottybitssideshow.com
Add me on Myspace or Facebook! http://www.myspace.com/sylverfyre
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-07-25 22:39, Sylver Fyre wrote:
Margarette I feel your pain. But think about this, do you really want to be with someone that can't keep up in the conversation? Or someone who can't contribute with their own educated opinion? If you find a man that is intimidated by your brains and independence don't fret(most likely he has a reason to feel insecure), just keep moving and having fun. The moment you aren't looking for Mr Right is when you will find him. Don't settle for someone who doesn't value an education.
There are plenty of men out there that do and when the time is right you will find the one you were meant to meet. (Yea, I do believe in a bit of serendipity)
I finally met an intellegent man who wasn't arrogant about his IQ, and guess what he likes the fact that I have red hair and a brain... and my own handcuffs...

Girls with handcuffs (presently company excluded, of course) are overrated...I mean, what self-respecting girl who wanted to enjoy them would date a guy who didn't already have a set?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Beacuse sometimes you need two pairs...
Simple enough.
Gwyd
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
"Wanted: Intelligent, self-assured redhead. Must have own handcuffs." This has been my personals ad for years. Unfortunately, none have applied. *sigh*
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 14:46, airship wrote:
"Wanted: Intelligent, self-assured redhead. Must have own handcuffs." This has been my personals ad for years. Unfortunately, none have applied. *sigh*

I'm telling you...buy your own, then put one out that says: "Guy with handcuffs seeks intelligent, self-assured redhead."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Keairao
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
12 Posts

Profile of Keairao
Margarette,
It's good to know I'm not the only one out there!! I find the same thing, when I mention my education, current occupation or career goals to men, they all seem to disappear (I think I really am a magician...) Throw in the side show stuff, and I can be a pretty lonely girl. (also with red hair and rather large tatas). I think a lot of men make judgements based on what we look like, and the moment you open your mouth and say something intelligent, they get scared. I also tend to get some negative reactions from women (usually the ones who are dating my male friends) who seem to think that I'm going to steal their men. I can't seem to win, but I have a hell of a lot of fun trying!!

I won't even bother with the 'you'll find the right guy' line, but if you do, tell me the secret!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Margarette,

We've known each other a while.

I'm just a sucker for smart women. My first wife was a college dean. The second an actress turned computer cryptologist (she died when the kids were very young) and now my wife of six years is a physician who was a ballerina and model in Los Angeles and New York till age thirty-nine. Then she went to med school and started her own clinic. (She has also been written about in the Wall Street Journal.) And she has her own magic act.

Some of you know her. Lucy told me not to worry about being a sucker for smart women. I don't have a choice. They are all smarter!

I like it!

Think about it guys. Why are diamonds a girl's best friend and man's best friend a dog?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Men and Educated Women (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL