The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Haunted Candelabra (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
The good thing about Theremins is that you can summon Gort and intone the magic "Klatu barada nikto"....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Egregor...Expect a bit of skepticism surrounding what many would consider a "Dream Effect", something we have all wanted to some degree, but no one ever really figured out satisfactorally. Add that to the fact that you are an unknown to us, and you are going to meet some resistance.
Don't take it personally at all! Trust me when I say that despite the skepticism, everyone here wants your effect to work, and would absolutely love for you to be able to produce it.
I am definately looking forward to seeing you effect in action, and I like the idea of the theremin. One of my favourite bands DeVotchka used one in a live performance, and it was simply beautiful (Wierd, but beautiful!)
Please do keep us posted with progress and when we can finally take a look at what could potentially be, an amazing effect.
Hope you get settled in your new place soon! Best of luck,
Gwyd
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Most of the skepticism expressed, Egregor, I think is due to the extraordinary nature of the device you are producing. I think your idea is terrific, and I really hope you can produce it for a reasonable price. I think everyone here would snap up such a device if it is affordable. Some of us do not make our living at this stuff, so we have a bit of difficulty justifying spending a lot of money on any prop. You have certainly aroused interest, to be sure!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
It's not personal egregor - how could it be, I don't even know you. Smile
Don't take it as hostility, it's really not.
It might seem like I'm mounting an offense, but really I'm mounting a defense - I'm just trying to protect my brothers here from any possiblity of a scam, even those that are contrived just to pull our collective leg; and lord knows we've seen or even fallen prey to plenty of false claims before - magic is as ripe with those as it is the stealing of ideas.
Besides that, I'm a natural born cynic and I think skepticism is healthy and logical.

I wouldn't say that patent and copyright are irrelevent (and it was you who first mentioned them) - even if you start selling these things, and your name is firmly associated with them, that doesn't prevent anyone else from making them unless you patent it.
I've looked into this stuff, believe me, and I understand - I'm currently working on a design for new loop making jig that's radically different from anything out there, and I'm pretty sure that if the magic community really finds it useful, then someone will eventually steal the design and market their own version, because I seriously doubt I could afford the patent.
Not that a better loop jig is anyone's idea of a holy grail, but hey, if it works really well (unlike the others currently on the market, IMO) and people can save money using it, it will sell. And I've been very secretive of the design, so I understand where you're coming from - on the other hand, your claims are rather extraordinary, so my curiousity overwhelmed my empathy for you.. Smile

Baba, I'm not anal, I'm just .. umm.. rectically challenged ! Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
174 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
Egergor , please don't take it the wrong way . Your new on here then come out with a Effect that sounds to good to be true . It's dosen't matter how many post you have .Look I been on here a while and only have what 60 some post ( I do magic more then talk about it) But you came out with this. If you pull this off .Please let me know . I already know I can use this.

http://www.shades-of-magick.com
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
At last -- a chance to say this! Thanks, Myst. Personally, I think skepticism can be taken too far (no offense, Myst, I am not referring to you or to your ***tum). A long while back, when I was a New User here, I was attacked by an idiot -- sorry, I mean "individual" -- whom I will call "Charles the Unjust." Somehow, Isaac Newton came under discussion, and I commented that Newton defended the practice of astrology. Charles jumped all over me, insisting that Newton had nothing to do with astrology and that "I had no facts." A couple of people more knowledgeable than Charles pointed out to him that Newton had, in fact, studied astrology and did defend it. However, Charles never did concede that I was correct, nor did he apologize, and I suspect he continues to believe in Saint Isaac of CSICOP, in spite of all the facts brought before him. Also, it appears that he was never chastized by the official powers that be for his attack.

(Zing!)

There! I feel better now.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey Bill - if you don't get attacked by idiots on the Café - it means you haven't posted anything worthwhile... the more pithy - the more idiotic the attacks Smile
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Yep, Doc, and guess where he hangs out: The Gospel Magic place. Figures.

Bill
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I am not new to the Café. I've been here for a few years. However I am new to posting. I've been a long time lurker. I did not realize the importance of what I am trying to accomplish. I just thought I had a neat effect. I've been a trade show, arcade, and museum fabricator for many years, and been exposed to many types of materials and techniques in the industry. I have just in the last 2 yrs. begun putting my talents towards magic effects. Next on the agenda after the candelabra is an animated book of shadows. To keep anyone from thinking they are getting scammed I will put myself at your mercy and allow you to dictate the terms under which these are sold. I think a live demonstration of a person of your groups choosing to review the effect before I take a single order. None of this hokey pre ordering. I don't know how much more fair I can be.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2006-07-29 00:29, egregor wrote:
Thank you all for your kind words and support. I am not new to the Café. I've been here for a few years.

Now I'm skeptical, Egregore. Your profile says you joined the Café July 6, 2006, yet you say you have been around a few years. Can you explain the discrepancy?

Bill
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Bill,
He has mentioned a couple of places that he has lurked here for years. I do know that is quite possible because I myself lurked here for a year or two before I got up the nerve to speak (post) among the greats.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Ok, Eddie, I guess that means people can read messages without becoming a member. I did not take that into consideration. If such is the case, my apologies go to Egregor.
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
I have many patents and I would like to offer a clarification. A patent says that other people can't copy your idea. However, if they do, it is up to you (and your lawyer) to make them stop. I'm betting that you don't have the resources to stop me if I choose to infringe on your patent. Reading some of the history of patent suits for the "Cutting in Half" illusion will make the point, and also provide some interesting insight into the giants who paved the way for us.

I should also add that more than half of my patents are based on finding ways to get around other peoples patents, and yet achieve essentially the same effect. We called it industrial research.

Viano

P.S. I am interested in your product.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Yep, it's a dog saw dog in half world.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2006-07-29 14:51, Mystician wrote:
Yep, it's a dog saw dog in half world.

Arrggghhh! (collapse)
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
Quote:
On 2006-07-29 11:31, Eddie Garland wrote:
Bill,
He has mentioned a couple of places that he has lurked here for years. I do know that is quite possible because I myself lurked here for a year or two before I got up the nerve to speak (post) among the greats.

The most important lesson that I've ever learned is listening is infinately more important than speaking. I am an Asatru and follow the nine virtues, and one of those virtues is the economy of words. Words are not to be wasted. Over the years, every time I was about to post a question about a particular topic, I found the answer to my question later in the thread. My question was usually asked by another member, and subsequently answered, negating my need to post. Also was the feeling of worthiness. I hold most of the people on this site in high regard. You've all made me feel welcome, and one of my goals in life is to meet many of you in person, and be privy to your performances.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It is January 07. I am not reawakening a dead thread...It is just beginning...let's just say, I have seen the 'light', well part of it anyway. The project is real and it is...uh...looking very cool and has a whole new 'hook' not spoken of prior...but I'll leave that up to Egregor to reveal when the time is right...However, I am excited about the project and what I know of it...I will take part of the delay on my shoulders but the ship is sailing and will arrive eventually...is all that mysterious enough? For those who have the impression that a Higley touch is worthy of a glance should be happy. Smile

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Happy Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ecstatic... truly Cthuloid... Ia!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Punx described a self-lighting candelabrum that he used in his act during the 1950's. It ignited by means of chemicals. The last time he used it was in a television studio, when they were doing a video of his act. The chemicals were a bit "tetchy," and Punx nearly burned the studio down. The method is detailed in Farewell Performance, along with some very basic ideas of how to do the same thing without the use of these deadly chemicals.

I have some ideas about how to accomplish this if egregor is not still working on it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Haunted Candelabra (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL